Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BMW M50/M52 engine? Or any other suggestions?
Nickp

posted on 5/8/11 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
BMW M50/M52 engine? Or any other suggestions?

Hi all,

I've just made an impulse buy of a new Haynes Roadster chassis with loads of other bits (suspension arms, shocks, hubs, steering, lsd, shafts race tank etc etc) off a mate for what seemed like a bargain price.
The 1st big decision I guess I need to make is what engine/box to use in it. I don't really want to use a 4-pot, unless it was a very light, powerful, revvy motor - which'll cost big money!! Not really fancying going the bike engined route either, not sure why?? The guy I bought it off was planning to put a BMW straight 6 2.8 M52 engine and box in there. It's an all alloy lump, so relatively light for its size but I have 2 questions-
1. Will it fit?
2. Is it going to upset the handling too much?
They're a good strong / powerful engine that'll give 230BHP with minor mods and can be picked up for peanuts. Just the job if it'll go in!!
If not, then what other suggestions do people have?
Must be-
Multi-cylinder (V8, V6, straight 5 / 6)
Or wankel??
Light(ish)
RWD config
4 valve (no RV8 ta)
Cheap!!

Cheers,
Nick

Sorry for all the noob questions, but I'm sure there'll be plenty more

franky

posted on 5/8/11 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure how the chassis are designed on the haynes, you can get the engine really really far back in the chassis as the box is short. They have no effect on handling if placed right.
ReMan

posted on 5/8/11 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
You seem to have overlooked the obvious very light very powerful multi cylinder path?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Nickp

posted on 5/8/11 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
I'm not sure how the chassis are designed on the haynes, you can get the engine really really far back in the chassis as the box is short. They have no effect on handling if placed right.

That's the sort of thing I wanted to hear!! Nice short box? So how long's your prop'?

Nickp

posted on 5/8/11 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
You seem to have overlooked the obvious very light very powerful multi cylinder path?

Which is? Bike engine? I'm not really fancying one if so.

franky

posted on 5/8/11 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
quote:

That's the sort of thing I wanted to hear!! Nice short box? So how long's your prop'?

can't remember off hand, less than 1000mm I think.

Nickp

posted on 5/8/11 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
quote:

can't remember off hand, less than 1000mm I think.

That's cool, it's just I had visions of the box bolting straight to the diff!!

mark chandler

posted on 5/8/11 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Availabilty of gearbox may dictate your choice, the more powerful new engines fit in front of auto boxes, you can get adaptors etc but the power will probally outstrip the capabilities of run of the mill boxes that are cheap and widely available.

Common sence dictates a standard package from a single donor is favorite as clutch operation adds new dimensions.

Also width can be a worry, you can put in what you like but the amount of rework can be interesting, also pedal space needs to be considered.

230bhp on a BMW is achievable on much lesser engines BTW, look at turbo japanese import cars a toyota 3gse engine from an MR2 turbo will put out 270bhp on standard internals for instance.

rodgling

posted on 5/8/11 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
M52 is good but it doesn't rev high enough (6200). That said, the powerband starts at 2k so it's not a disaster.

S50 is higher-revving and stronger (iron block) but a little heavier and taller, and a lot more expensive. Having started with M52 and moved on to S50... both are good choices. If you can fit the S50 physically and budget permits, I'd go for that over the M52.

Fitting the steering column past the exhaust isn't easy... you might consider left hand drive to help here.

Weight: the steering will be heavy, no doubt about it, but I've found once you get to say, 30 mph, it's not a massive issue.

On my car, prop is 74 cm.

If you're not using a BMW diff, make sure it can take the torque.

andyw7de

posted on 5/8/11 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
U2U sent

Speed is just a question of money !

How fast do you want to go ?

ashg

posted on 5/8/11 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
got a saab turbo lump in my roadster and its blooming mental. the bmw lump will fit,

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

franky

posted on 5/8/11 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
got a saab turbo lump in my roadster and its blooming mental. the bmw lump will fit,

Forgot that as another good option!

jossey

posted on 5/8/11 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
the 3.5 or 5.0 engines aint that much bigger. GO BIG OR GO HOME :O)

m70 BMW engine (£200-£300) on ebay
Displacement: 4,988 cc (4.988 L; 304.4 cu in)
12 cylinder V-arrangement 60 degree
24 valves
Compression: 8.8:1
Stroke/Bore: 75 mm (3.0 in)/84 mm (3.3 in)
Firing Order: 1-7-5-11-3-9-6-12-2-8-4-10
Separate twin-ECU engine management (each one for each bank)
Max power: 220 kW (295 hp) @ 5300 rpm
Max torque: 450 N·m (330 lb·ft) @ 4000 rpm
Max rpm: 6000–6400 rpm *Gearing

[Edited on 5/8/11 by jossey]

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nickp

posted on 5/8/11 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg

I'd considered the SAAB lump as I know it'll bolt up to an Omega box and will make silly power too!! Isn't it a really tall engine though?

Nickp

posted on 5/8/11 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
230bhp on a BMW is achievable on much lesser engines BTW, look at turbo japanese import cars a toyota 3gse engine from an MR2 turbo will put out 270bhp on standard internals for instance.

The 3SGTE is capable of serious power I know, but what gearbox would I use? I presume I'd have to custom adapt something (Ford)?

mark chandler

posted on 6/8/11 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
I believe it will fit a manual celica/supra box, you will have to google this though to be sure.

This is something found in an 'old car' 1981 vintage when cars had RWD ! This box was however used for such things as e type conversions to 5 speed as it can handle the torque.

This link may prove useful

[Edited on 6/8/11 by mark chandler]

Nickp

posted on 6/8/11 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently the Toyota Altezza's (Lexus IS?) 'box bolts straight to the 3SGTE, like this-

TOYOTA ALTEZZA BEAMS 6 SPEED GEARBOX | eBay

Making it a very good / viable option, but maybe not the cheapest. The engines are so tuneable though. They're a set of forged pistons (£4-500) and a decent head gasket (£100) away from been able to easily handle 4-500BHP, just depends how big a turbo / injectors you want to throw at it!!

Looks like my mind's been made up by a very keenly priced M52 from andyw7de anyway

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.