Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Time for a new engine?
Proby

posted on 26/10/11 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Time for a new engine?

Well, after a couple of months of blatting around in the F27 'blade I'm looking at winter upgrade options. I'm reasonably happy with the performance when I'm one up (although more will always be nice ), but obviously it really takes the edge off when I've got a passenger in with me. Ideally I'd love a Hayabusa lump in there, but I think there's a lot more to consider such as dry sumping it which all adds up. Would I see much difference putting a later R1 engine (2006> circa 175bhp?) in two up performance? For reference my blade is a 919 which I'd guess at 125bhp??? Is it just lack of torque that knocks the edge off? other options would be bolting a turbo on to the blade but I would be on the edge of my comfort zone with mapping it etc, but up for a challenge. Hmmmmm ideas ideas.

[Edited on 26/10/11 by Proby]

Kev99

posted on 26/10/11 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi I changed from a 819 blade to a 2008 R1 this winter and noticed a big difference at the upper end the R1 just keeps pulling

But I already notice that adding a passenger makes a big difference again but it still pulls better than the blade did when I was on my own lol

What ever u put in it after a few months u will want more power

ashg

posted on 26/10/11 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
if you dont want to suffer when two up fit a car engine

can

worms

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

lewis

posted on 26/10/11 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Yea fit a car engine in your car ;-) then you don't have to worry about what you had for lunch and if it will cut your performance of not lol.

I am a driving god!..........sort of

mark chandler

posted on 26/10/11 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Turbo requires lock up clutch that you have to factor in, the return is Busa power and if it goes wrong cheap engine replacement.

I would happily turbo again, if you inject with megasquirt I can provide a map to get you going.

A side effect is turbo cuts the noise right down so much easier for track days

Still suffers when two up, but then they all do !

Description
Description

[Edited on 26/10/11 by mark chandler]

jase380

posted on 26/10/11 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Stick a pinto in, you ll realise how quick the blade was then !!. had a 05 zx10r in mine ( after the pinto ), was dynod at 146 bhp at the wheels, it was fooking quick.
sdh2903

posted on 26/10/11 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
turbo it.

will be cheaper than engine swap by the time you factor in engine, modding exhaust, prop, new cradle, clocks, power commander etc etc.

By all accounts blade engines respond well to a bit of forced induction.

bi22le

posted on 26/10/11 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
I was genuinly disappointed when I drove my BEC 2 up. I kept on telling my friends 'its a lot quicker when there is only me in it!'

One thing I would say is that my 150bhp Striker is still slower with two people yet it has nearly twice the torque of the K4 GSXR BEC

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Proby

posted on 26/10/11 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
lol at the "put a car engine in it". Looks like a turbo would be a good route to take. Not sure how i would get on fabricating the exhaust manifold and intake system, Ive done a bit of mig and old school arc/stick welding years ago, would be fun to try and get back into it. I aloz like the idea at having a go at putting a megasquit setup together and learning to map/tweak it myself from a good base map. Even though I've looked through some pictures, I think I'd have more confidence if I had a nosey around one already done. I'll get researching. Thanks for all the replies!!!!
steve m

posted on 26/10/11 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
"if you dont want to suffer when two up fit a car engine "

My 1600 xflow 7, handles so much better 2 up, but power is down, or certainly feels down

Stott

posted on 26/10/11 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
if you dont want to suffer when two up fit a car engine

and you can suffer all the time instead...........................

myke pocock

posted on 26/10/11 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
1300cc of standard Mr Ford crossflow power and I couldnt give a sod whether I am one or two up. Still get miles of fun out of it whatever.
BobM

posted on 27/10/11 at 05:22 AM Reply With Quote
No matter what engine you fit in the car adding a passenger will likely increase the mass by about 15% or so. If the car's heavier to start with (e.g. CEC) then that percentage will be slightly lower but the one-up performance will be down.

The modern (06 on) litre engines are putting out about the same power as a Busa, they're cheaper, lighter and all can cope with a baffled sump. I'm running ZX10R power and it doesn't feel any less torquey than the Busa I was running last year.

Not very Locost but very BEC

Proby

posted on 27/10/11 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
I think it will either be swap for an newer R1 or turbo the blade.

If I turbo the blade I might do it in two stages rather than all in one lump.

1) Install fuel injection and Megasquirt system and get it running.

2) Turbo it later.

Hellfire

posted on 27/10/11 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
If you want Busa performance without the cost, you could always consider fitting the ZX12R. We swapped from Fireblade power to ZX12R and the performance when two up is barely noticeable now. The power you lose through extra weight is gained in traction....

Phil

ETA - I find it quite amusing how the CEC guys frequent and post in the BEC section. There's obviously a deep burning desire there to convert to BEC.... they just won't admit it....

[Edited on 27-10-11 by Hellfire]

adithorp

posted on 27/10/11 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
My 06 R1 doesn't feel slow 2up, and no one has yet been unimpressed in the passenger seat (unless they're used to something quicker); The increased braking required is more noticable as is the cornering. It just feels ballistic when they get out! In fact on the road it makes little difference as you're rarely able to use the power to the max', so just use more throttle when 2 up, to get the same effect.
I've done five days back through the Alps, 2up, fully loaded with camping kit and it matched 2x '03R1 engined cars (running solo) all the way. As it happens it's still, better than the earlier engines in that the extra 1000rpm comes in handy. When the earlier engined cars had to either hit the limiter, back off or change up just before the next hairpin, I could just keep it planted right to the braking point. I've also had a passenger in who has a 919 blade engined Fury and he thinks mine is considerably faster 2up than his is solo.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

matt_gsxr

posted on 27/10/11 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Your 2 stage approach of megasquirting it, and then turboing it later is what I did, and I am happy with the outcome.

The plus is that you learn some stuff and get some experience. The minus is that you end up with a more complicated and probably less reliable car.

The easy solution would be to get a R1 engine.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.