Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Waterpump issues?
littleman

posted on 12/3/12 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Waterpump issues?

Had my ZX9r Tiger out yesterday and it keeps overheating. Weird thing is that if I am driving at high revs accelerating hard through the gears then it will stay at a reasonable temp but as soon as I slow to a constant 4k ish rpm then it heats up quickly to around 100-110, a down shift and a boot full of power and the temperature drops instantly to a more reasonable 90.

I replaced the water pump last year (albeit with a used item) but there is no coolant weeping from the drain hole and I disconnected one of the rad pipes and cranked the car and coolant spilled out. Any ideas what to try next??

maccmike

posted on 12/3/12 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
temp sender
temp guage
stat switch
cooling fan

FuryRebuild

posted on 12/3/12 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have bleed pips running to the header tank from the highest points? Could be some trapped air that gets pushed around under high revs?

Also, when is your fan set to come on? If the loud-pedal sorts it, maybe it's down to air-flow over the rad?

littleman

posted on 12/3/12 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuild
Do you have bleed pips running to the header tank from the highest points? Could be some trapped air that gets pushed around under high revs?

Also, when is your fan set to come on? If the loud-pedal sorts it, maybe it's down to air-flow over the rad?

Nope, no bleed pips to the header tank, the connection on the header tank has been blanked off with a bolt, do you think its worth fitting a t-piece in the pipe-work just before the top of the radiator (highest point) and running a pipe to the header tank? or even getting a piece of tubing welded to the top of the radiator and connecting to the header tank from there?

I have the fan running constantly with the ignition.

40inches

posted on 12/3/12 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by littleman
quote:

Nope, no bleed pips to the header tank, the connection on the header tank has been blanked off with a bolt, do you think its worth fitting a t-piece in the pipe-work just before the top of the radiator (highest point) and running a pipe to the header tank? or even getting a piece of tubing welded to the top of the radiator and connecting to the header tank from there?

Shouldn't be necessary to have fan running all the time.
I have plumbed mine in using this chart Description
Description
works perfectly, fan cuts in and out, and temp steady at around 95.

blakep82

posted on 12/3/12 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

YES! especially from the thermostat and radiator!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

jacko

posted on 12/3/12 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Front grill ? too small holes i know two people that has had this problem both was sorted by removing the grill
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 12/3/12 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Nope, no bleed pips to the header tank, the connection on the header tank has been blanked off with a bolt,

That may be the problem, a header tank is part of a sealed system and carries the "rad" cap,and the rad doesn't have a cap.
So if your tank isn't in use, it will be an expansion bottle and your rad will have a cap, if this is the case, then you may be losing coolant when the system vents, and draws in air as it cools. Just a thought.
Expansion tank

littleman

posted on 13/3/12 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your replies guys.

I'm going to plumb an air bleed in to the expansion tank and also take the front grill off to see if that makes a difference.

Question for '40 inches' - how did you put the bleed in to the thermostat housing? I'm pretty sure my housing doesnt have a connection for it, did you just put a t-piece in the pipework?

40inches

posted on 13/3/12 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'm going to plumb an air bleed in to the expansion tank and also take the front grill off to see if that makes a difference.

Question for '40 inches' - how did you put the bleed in to the thermostat housing? I'm pretty sure my housing doesnt have a connection for it, did you just put a t-piece in the pipework?

There is a connection on the housing for the hose, can't get to it to take a photo at the moment, but if you look here at part no:92005A (stat housing) you can see the fitting for the hose, a banjo fitting 92005B. It's tucked well under the carbs and may have been capped off for some reason.
The part is directly above the down arrow on the fiche, just clip in that area to enlarge it.

[Edited on 13-3-12 by 40inches]

littleman

posted on 13/3/12 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

There is a connection on the housing for the hose, can't get to it to take a photo at the moment, but if you look here at part no:92005A (stat housing) you can see the fitting for the hose, a banjo fitting 92005B. It's tucked well under the carbs and may have been capped off for some reason.
The part is directly above the down arrow on the fiche, just clip in that area to enlarge it.

[Edited on 13-3-12 by 40inches]

Thats perfect mate, it definitely has been capped off, I remember seeing it when I took the thermostat out to test it worked properly. Thanks a lot for your help, I'll let you know how I get on!

littleman

posted on 14/5/12 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
So i eventually got the weather to test this out, my thermostat didnt have an air bleed so i fitted one back to the header tank and it works a treat! Had it out on Saturday and it never went above 85 degrees.

Thanks for your help everyone.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.