Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PUG 206 rear beam
Jon Ison

posted on 25/6/12 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
PUG 206 rear beam

Step daughters 206 as severe wobbly rear axle on one side, I read its best & easiest to change the whole beam ?

Can the bushes be changed or is it a none starter, the cars on a 99 plate generally good but is it worth the effort or is it now scrap ?

coyoteboy

posted on 25/6/12 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
I'm about to have this issue myself on a 306, car is otherwise perfectly good but the rear beam bearings have failed/seized so it creaks like mad and it's gaining more negative variable camber with each passing month.

The bearings are needle rollers and apparently the biggest issue is the fact that if the spindles are worn it's near enough 175 for parts, plus the job of actually doing it. Recon rear beams are 300-350. I'm 50:50 on the change myself due to time and kit constraints and if it's got really bad you can wear the tube so in essence you'd need to strip it to identify if it were possible to fix first.

perksy

posted on 25/6/12 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
The bushes can be done but it depends how bad it is tbh, If its bad then the bushes won't last

Alot of folk just swop the whole beam for either a lower mileage one from a breakers or a re con one

nick205

posted on 25/6/12 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
It's quite a task to strip, overhaul and re-assemble - I did it once on a 205 many moons ago and wouldn't bother again.

There's a guy advertising on Piston heads Classifieds in the 205 section selling recon beams for most older Pug models. Assuming they're done properly it's almost certainly cost effective if you factor in your own time. Whichever way you do it, budget for replacement body to beam bushes as they will be shot as well. Also budget for wheel alignment afterwards to make sure the beam is true to the body/front wheels.

Hmmm...not as cheap as I thought and maybe not for the 206, but might be worth an email to ask...

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3970442.htm

[Edited on 25/6/12 by nick205]

coyoteboy

posted on 25/6/12 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
There's also a company called imaxle.co.uk who do them for 390.

I can't work out if the £500 quoted in that PH link is including the deposit or if it's the final cost. I don't think £500 is shy of the cost of a new one from peugeot, but I could be wrong.

MikeRJ

posted on 25/6/12 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
I believe a new rear axle is well into 4 figures.
coyoteboy

posted on 25/6/12 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Jesus. You could probably commission your own from an engineering firm for less than a grand - they're not exactly complex.
dray13dad

posted on 25/6/12 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
have done a few and they are a fine needle roller and normally chew though the axle beam,so recon axle is the best way un less you have plenty of time and can strip it to the bones and get a sleeve machined to go over the worn parts of axle tube.
Think ther was a company on the bay doing for about 400 and based somewhere in the midlands..

Jon Ison

posted on 25/6/12 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Think it will be scrapped, with 12 months test the car is prob worth £3-400 tops even though it's a clean tidy car, MOT,s due in a month, looking at £150ish for a 2nd hand axle and that's not forced to be A1, guess it's game over.

What's the scrap value these days for a small hatchback ?

tompat3463

posted on 25/6/12 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
hi there..I done mine on a 206GT

its a hell of a task but nothing to special..just lots of nuts and bolts kinda job.

simple to do when U know how.

the bearings can be done.. youll find that there is an inner and outer bearing on both side of the car IIRC.

if your lucky then the bearing may have only failed a few weeks ago and hasnt caused any damade to the beam or the trailing arms.

mine had been gone for ages to I had to replace the beem.

About 6 years ago this and IIRC the beam was around £470. bearings maybe £20 each.

While your on you may aswell lower it a few mill.. lolol

but seriously I wouldnt be scared about do it the job.

The hardest part about it is getting the whole god damn rusty thing to pieces. Your need to take the ARB end plate off then in theory the trailing arm should knock off revealing the bad bearings.

JUst my 2p's worth

Alan

[Edited on 25/6/12 by tompat3463]

Ninehigh

posted on 25/6/12 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Think it will be scrapped, with 12 months test the car is prob worth £3-400 tops even though it's a clean tidy car, MOT,s due in a month, looking at £150ish for a 2nd hand axle and that's not forced to be A1, guess it's game over.

What's the scrap value these days for a small hatchback ?

If there's nothing else wrong with it then the couple hundred quid might be worth it. Got a recon one for our 106 for about £250 and it was worth forking out for imo.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.