Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Paddle shift set up
ceebmoj

posted on 2/8/12 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Paddle shift set up

Hi guys,

How far do you have your paddles from the back of the steering wheel?

Also what ratio are you using? i.e. what distance from the rotation points are you using? I ws looking at about twice the distance on the engine end at the paddle.

designer

posted on 2/8/12 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
These are surely personal preferances.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ceebmoj

posted on 2/8/12 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure that it is largely personal preference. However I'm still interested in how others have theirs set up.
Steve Hignett

posted on 3/8/12 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Do a search and look for TimC's exact same post - lots of answers on there...
renetom

posted on 3/8/12 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Paddles

Hi
On our Indy R1, I made up a mechanical linkage which is very positive, did'nt like the idea of push pull cable.
we have a removable momo steering wheel with the boss welded to the end of the Sierra column, l modified the crush tube section of the original column with a steel insert at the top end along with a ptfe bush pinned to the column for the top bearing.
See our archive picts.
The distance needs to be as close as possible allowing for any slack And comfortable for you.
good luck
René
UTU if you need any info

smorse

posted on 4/8/12 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
agree, as close to the back of the wheel as poss without fouling the wheel for obvious reasons
ceebmoj

posted on 6/8/12 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
intresting I asumed that you would want the paddle a good 1" + so that you could grip the wheel with out catching your knuckles on the paddles
BobM

posted on 6/8/12 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
intresting I asumed that you would want the paddle a good 1" + so that you could grip the wheel with out catching your knuckles on the paddles
Yes, likely to need more than an inch anyway or you won't have enough throw on the paddle.

The ratio you end up with will depend on several factors - the amount of slop in your linkages, the actual width of your paddles and even your choice of engine - some are much easier than others, my ZX10 is quite hard work hence me dumping the paddles, Hondas seem to be much slicker.

Not very Locost but very BEC

loggyboy

posted on 6/8/12 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
As above, you want them far enough away so that you dont catch them when you turn the wheel (remember to allow for flailing of hands when changing positions and grabbing the wheel in those 'moments' that happen on track (or road!)). Then you want them close enough so your outstretched fingers can reach them when at rest on the wheel without having to over reach or take your hands off the wheel. Then its just a matter of setting up the geometry of the linkage so that the movement required on the paddles doesnt exceed the distance between resting paddles and the back of the wheel.

Mistral Motorsport

Hellfire

posted on 6/8/12 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a few photographs of our paddle shift set-up. The distance of the paddles from the steering wheel is 28mm

Phil
Paddleshift 1
Paddleshift 1

Paddleshift 2
Paddleshift 2

TimC

posted on 6/8/12 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
Do a search and look for TimC's exact same post - lots of answers on there...

Moi?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.