Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Simple question: Can I drive an untaxed car to my local MOT station? I have insurance.
bi22le

posted on 24/10/12 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Simple question: Can I drive an untaxed car to my local MOT station? I have insurance.

As above.

MOT on saturday, I just went online to get tax and I need an MOT certificate. Chicken, egg?

I have insurance, V5 and everything its just currently SORN with no MOT.

I want a response within 5 mins of this OP. Its lunch time, there are hundreds of you on!!!

Biz

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

rodgling

posted on 24/10/12 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
I think you only risk a small fine so not the end of the world if you did get caught or in an accident.
john_p_b

posted on 24/10/12 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
simple answer is yes. it's perfectly legal to drive to or from a testing station or place of repair if the vehicle fails it's mot.

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

roadrunner

posted on 24/10/12 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
YES. This is allowed, but don't take a detour to Tescos.
bi22le

posted on 24/10/12 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Fastest was 2 mins and 3 responses on 4 mins.

Well done gents.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

mcerd1

posted on 24/10/12 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
yes - it just has to be pre-booked first

(i.e. if plod stop you they may check with the garage)

[edit - too slow )

[Edited on 24/10/2012 by mcerd1]

-

john_p_b

posted on 24/10/12 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

[edit - too slow )

that's a grey area these days as so many test stations are drive in do it while you wait places, i rang up to book for my indy last year and the guy laughed at me said just bring it down, was only when i insisted on a time he asked how long i would be and wrote it on a bit of paper which he then threw away when i pulled up.

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

James

posted on 24/10/12 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

My mate runs a testing station and has had a number of calls from the Police checking up.

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

mcerd1

posted on 24/10/12 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by john_p_b
that's a grey area these days as so many test stations are drive in do it while you wait places, i rang up to book for my indy last year and the guy laughed at me said just bring it down, was only when i insisted on a time he asked how long i would be and wrote it on a bit of paper which he then threw away when i pulled up.

not sure you need an exact appointment to keep plod happy - just as long as the garage know your coming
(I've never had an exact appointment, I drop it off the night before the test most of the time)

-

Agriv8

posted on 24/10/12 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Led to belive it has to booked in on the Registration number.

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

owelly

posted on 24/10/12 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
As said. You need to have the car pre-booked on the VRM or the drivers name. The BiB will contact the garage and ask them for the details of what's in their diary. If it's not you or your car, you're not booked in!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 24/10/12 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Its booked in and has been for about 3 weeks to get an early booking discout!

Also already paid, ligitimate or what!?!

chillis

posted on 24/10/12 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by john_p_b
quote:

[edit - too slow )

If your road tax or mot has expired you are required to pre book at the nearest available MOT station prior to setting out even if they are 'while you wait' anything else and your likely to get busted.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

dhutch

posted on 24/10/12 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Yeah, I would insist on said peice of paper.
- My name
- Registation
- Date and Time

As you say, they will proberbly bin it on arrival, but then if your are stopped, police can ring them and ask 'do you have a booking for mr xyz, what is the reg' or something.

I think with a kitcar you might have grounds to book it at the nearest suitable place, ie, mine wont get on the ramps at the local garage (they have tried) so I have to go 15 mins up the road to one with a pit not 3 to the local one.

The punishment for not having MOT doesnt carry point (max £1000, typically £60ish) , but not having tax involves points afaik.

Daniel

[Edited on 24/10/2012 by dhutch]

rodgling

posted on 24/10/12 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
The punishment for not having MOT doesnt carry point (max £1000, typically £60ish) , but not having tax involves points afaik.

If you crash it's a different story though. With no tax you're still insured, with no MOT you're not. A few points is livable with, a massive bill could be a bigger problem.

JoelP

posted on 24/10/12 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
I spoke to a copper today about this, he said you need to be able to give them a name and number to call, and they need to know you are coming - reg number or name would seem appropriate but he didnt specify this.

MOT didnt invalidate insurance for me, i got paid on a car with no test.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

emwmarine

posted on 24/10/12 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
True story

Many years ago, probably 1982, I bought a TR4a from someone I worked with at IBM in Portsmouth at the time.

The car hadn't been used for about 8 years and I bought it to restore.

I booked an MOT in the MOT station in Henleaze in Bristol, near where I lived. The car started and most things seemed to work-ish.

I insured the car and set off. It did look like it had been off the road for a while and, sure enough, I got stopped by a 'Jam Sandwich' on the fast road just coming towards Salisbury.

He thought he had me hook line and sinker as he saw the last tax disc on the car. He asked if it had an MOT and I said it didn't. Just as he was launching into the various offences I had broken, I explained about the MOT appointment and suggested he call the MOT stain to confirm the appointment, for which I was due in a coupe of hours.

They saw the funny side of it, gave the car a cursory check and let me on my way.

Building a Dax Rush.

geoff shep

posted on 24/10/12 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
It is covered on the DfT website:

quote:

If your MOT has expired

If your MOT has expired you can’t drive your vehicle on the road until it’s passed the test. You could be prosecuted if caught.

The only exception is if you’ve already booked an MOT and are driving your vehicle to the test centre.

from here: https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.