Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LED illumination of paint booth.........
NS Dev

posted on 1/6/13 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
LED illumination of paint booth.........

Any lighting experts in the house?

We are doing a bit of a refit of our paint booth soon, which will include complete revision of the lighting.

I want to use LED's ideally, as they will be much cheaper to run, and the fairly cold "daylight" that is pretty easily achieveable with them is ideal in the booth.

The issue is how to go about it!

We currently have 4 x twin 58w fluorescent fittings along each side at the top of each side wall, 1 x twin 58w vertically in each corner and 2 x single 58w fluorescent fittings each side along the "flank", making a total of 28 58w tubes at the moment. The lighting level with these is adequate but not excessive (but they have diffusers which are pretty dirty, and probably significantly reduce the light output, as we coat them with tacky booth coat too)

I've guessed an actual light output of around 1800lumens per tube given that they are covered in mucky diffusers.

I want to do away with the existing fittings as they are dirt traps, and use a flush fitted setup of some sort

To equal the existing setup using led tubes will be very expensive, and won't easily meet the flush fitted requirement.

All this got me thinking about using led downlighters, which are readily available, at a reasonable price.

Then the complications start, I can get shower rated downlighter enclosures cheaply, but would really need 12w led lamps to get enough light without needing an insane number of them, and the only lamps I can find are either dodgy looking chinese ones or stupidly expensive ones!!

there are sealed units available where the led bit is not replaceable, and I can find 12w ones with around 1000 lumens output for £15 ish, but they are not available in cool white only warm white (too warm for the booth)

arrrgghhh

anybody got any ideas?

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

big-vee-twin

posted on 1/6/13 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
You could replace your fluorescent lamps with LED direct replacements

see these link bear in mind that LED generally have less output than fluorescent.

You then need to find a way of installing your fittings in a recessed manner.

You can get cold white fluorescent tubes too, colour 4000k and higher

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

tegwin

posted on 1/6/13 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have done a lot of work with LEDs over the last 4 years and infact have a patent application submitted for led street lighting. What you should note is that an led gives a linear narrow beam of light so optics are very important. Down lighters therefore only give a fairly narrow beam so you would need loads to get a decent spread. Getting an even brightness all over could be hard. I would be looking for large led light panels with diffusers. Similar to those used on film sets.

Anything with LEDs in seems to be sold at a premium... DIY could be an option if you are on a budget and do your research.

I would look at other light sources,some of the new gas cap our bulbs have similar or better lumens per watt as leds

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

NS Dev

posted on 9/6/13 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
interesting! Pretty much confirms my suspicions and concerns!

I really don't want to use direct t8 tube led substitutes, as our existing fittings are going to be trashed (they don't like solvent fumes plus thermal cycles it would seem!!)

Re. the downlighters, I would be using a LOT of them! was planning on 30 along each 6.5m long side of the booth, plus 10 at each end, then a less frequent row at "low waist" level.

I have found High Power 12W LED Sealed Recessed Ceiling Light Downlighter Spotlight Downlight | eBay
New Page 1

which look good, but I need cool white not warm, and they are not available in higher colour temps!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.