Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Caterham 21 chassis "sills" ?
CompoSimmonite

posted on 8/9/13 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Caterham 21 chassis "sills" ?

I need doors for access due to mobility problems which has meant 7 style cars aren't suitable for me. The other day I was reading about the Caterham 21 and it states the chassis is basically a modified 7 item with Toblerone shaped sills to give the additional strength. Great I though - find a body damaged 21 and use that as a base until I realised they only made just under 50 ! Google for pictures only finds me views of sill area with body in situ -

Accepted no way would a 21 chassis look right with 7 bodywork unless it had running boards to cover such wide sills.

I am, however, still intrigued about their construction and wonder if anyone has a link to a picture of the chassis sill structure ?

Thanks.

Paul H

HowardB

posted on 8/9/13 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
if you need doors, and to be fair on most kit cars doors should be in inverted comma's then why not have a full body car like a pheonix or fury?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

CompoSimmonite

posted on 8/9/13 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
if you need doors, and to be fair on most kit cars doors should be in inverted comma's then why not have a full body car like a pheonix or fury?

Valid point.

Answer is I have always, from 1970's onwards, loved the look of the 7 and despite owning over 100 cars during the passing years it still appeals to me. Currently I've got an Austin (post Healey agreement) Sprite and am buying a Jensen bodied Austin A40 Sports when I am allowed to drive again (licence suspended on health grounds until I undertake a fitness to drive assessment) to collect it yet 7 style car ownership is still haunting me.
It's like saying why buy a Fiesta instead of a Polo - because there is something that makes the buyer want the fiesta more and it's the same with me I want a 7 style instead of a pheonix or fury

Paul H

[Edited on 8/9/13 by CompoSimmonite]

HowardB

posted on 8/9/13 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
I see,.. point taken,..

Howard

iank

posted on 8/9/13 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Worth looking at a Locust which is a ply body on a ladderframe chassis.
They often come up registered and cheap on ebay and would make an ideal base for a 7 with doors IMO.

From http://www.locust.org.uk/ownerscars/builds/bob_baines/bob_baines.htm

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

CompoSimmonite

posted on 8/9/13 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Since I replied to HowardB's message I've been looking at the Fury and whilst, as I've already said, the 7 style bodywork is more to my taste the Fury chassis is possibly something I should consider.
The current manufacturer seems to be Fury Sports Cars but I find their web site hard to navigate.

Paul H

HowardB

posted on 8/9/13 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Have a word with Steve... very useful to chat too,. and there are a lot of Fury drivers on here too, including me

Howard

Andy S

posted on 8/9/13 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
My G27 has doors and it is no easier to get into than a Westfield, Caterham or Fury. Generally even with doors the sills are no lower than cars without doors and being wide in general makes it no easier to get into. What doors do provide is a better overall weather protection as they can be fitted with windows that can be opened out of the way and being full bodied cars allow the hood permanently fixed to the body.
ettore bugatti

posted on 8/9/13 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Found this blurry pic:

These are bit better:

Doesn't lok that much lower than a Seven, though

jkarran

posted on 2/10/13 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
I saw a caged Westfield at a race event a few years back very nicely modified for a wheelchair user. It had side 'doors' and next to no sill so he could slide from chair to seat and back with relative ease.

It's a pretty pure space frame in that region so the tubes are only ever loaded axially. It had stiff hinges top and bottom at the front and a clever pin locking system at the back that tied the structural door panel tightly into the rear part of the chassis top and bottom. Worth a thought if it's the 7 style you like.

jk

mcerd1

posted on 2/10/13 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkarran
I saw a caged Westfield at a race event a few years back very nicely modified for a wheelchair user. It had side 'doors' and next to no sill so he could slide from chair to seat and back with relative ease.

that would sound like the answer to me - rather than cut out the top rail, you've just moved it above your head

just like a modern tin-top or even the ginetta G40:

the side impact bar could be moved into the door (like a tin-top) to reduce the sill height even further than the ginetta

[Edited on 2/10/2013 by mcerd1]

-

slingshot2000

posted on 2/10/13 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
I really like the look of that frame and integral cage, I am going to have to keep that picture and look for more.

Thanks for posting it mcerd1 !

Regards
Jon

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.