Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rubber mounting engine cradle
40inches

posted on 20/8/14 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Rubber mounting engine cradle

Had this in mind for some time, just wanted to find a relatively simple way to try it.
The top mounts are pretty easy to do with rubber bobbins, There is a height restriction of 30mm, before the air box touches the bonnet, so I settled on 40mm dia x 25mm height and 40 shore rubber. It was a simple job to jack the engine up enough to slip the mounts between the cradle and chassis, only mod I had to do was moving the fuel line from above the cradle to bellow it.
Description
Description
Description
Description

The gearbox mounts are a bit more difficult, I cut the tops off the original mounts and made and bolted a blade mount to the stubs.
Description
Description

The rubber bushes in the size that fit are 60 shore, but I thought that they would be OK.
Checked the bonnet to air box clearance with Plasticine, there is 10mm, fingers crossed.
Description
Description

Gearbox mounts
Cradle Mounts

UPDATE:

Done around 200miles since I did this, so far so good

I had a pretty bad vibration at around 4000rpm that was annoying, especially as this equates to 40mph in top gear.
This has all but gone, still there, but not at all annoying. The ride is generally a lot smoother and all the mounts are, so far, in one piece.
A bonus from doing this is that, coupled with the TRT prop, the engine is isolated from the car, this has made the gear change much better, it is now a thud rather than a clunk.

CosKev3

posted on 21/8/14 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good

Wishing I had done something like these now before I welded all my mounts to chassis

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.