Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Will this reversing idea work?
adamhay

posted on 21/11/04 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Will this reversing idea work?

I've been thinking about a reliable, light, cheap, & non power sapping reversing mechanism for my Caterham (de dion chassis, Hayabusa motor).

Whilst chatting this over with a mate, we came up with the idea of using an over-running clutch. This would run free when the car was being powered forward by the engine but when drive was applied to it, it would reverse the car.

The plan is to mount the over-running clutch to the chassis somehow so it can act as a central prop shaft bearing. I'd use a bike starter motor(about 0.5kg) to power a gear running round the outside of clutch.

I've done a really poor sketch of what I'm planning and I'd appreciate any comments (sketch is in my photos - bec drive train).

If someone's thought of this before, which I expect is the case, and not used it I'd like to know why. There appears to be some very nice clutches available at a reasonable price so I think the clutch itself will be available.

I would have to source one that would cope with the engine torque, the revs, the hostile environment, the lateral forces of operating as a central bearing, but if I can get one to suit, what else should I consider?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnp0WDDW7xs

posted on 21/11/04 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
I would leave the prop as it is and mount the overrunning clutch/motor on the diff flange.
I think that a "half way" bearing causes more problems than help on the propshaft,all IMHO though....very humble

Peteff

posted on 21/11/04 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
What kind of overrun clutch?

I've only heard of them as sprag clutches for industrial machinery like conveyor belts or in automatic transmission. Have you got a link to one?

[Edited on 21/11/04 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mk-Ninja

posted on 21/11/04 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
If you think it through it wont work, as the as the clutch will be running the wrong way. Sorry

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

Dean

posted on 21/11/04 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I still think the best way is push it
adamhay

posted on 21/11/04 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
peteff: Indeed - sprag clutch probably due to high revs. http://www.warnernet.com has a range of clutches and reckon they've got something that will suit anything - I'll give them a call tomorrow. If you want to see their catalogue you have to register - a pain, but they have a lot of stuff to oggle.

Cita: Diff flange would be the ideal place but a Caterham has next to no space in this area..

Mk-Ninja: Hmmmmm <thinking it through>.....nope, pretty sure it will work.

Dean: I need a reverse for motorsport, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

zilspeed

posted on 21/11/04 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
We've already had this conversation in here I'm afraid...
The very thing that makes it be an over-run clutch is precisely what will make it not work for a reverse.
If you manage to thank of a way around this, I'd be keen on hearing about it

adamhay

posted on 21/11/04 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
zilspeed: I've searched for the previous conversation but can't find it. Do you know where it was?
TIA !

zilspeed

posted on 21/11/04 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Do a search under sprag clutch.

It doesn't detail it very much though.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.