Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec alternator drive pulleys
Streetfighterpete

posted on 1/11/14 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec alternator drive pulleys

Hi guys,

I'm building a Luego Velocity XT with a 2.0 Zetec fitted. In a bid to reduce crank mass I'm ruining a 1.8 flywheel and have also recently bought an alloy crank pulley. However, this is a smaller diameter than the standard metal pulley, so my question is this: this will mean that the water pump and alternator run slower. Will this adversely effect the alternator performance and the engine cooling, or do I now have to run larger alternator and/or water pump pulleys? Also, I have heard scare stories about the original crank pulley being fitted with a rubber bush which the alloy one does not have and that this can lead to oil pump failure etc. Anyone had any experience of this? Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Pete

big_wasa

posted on 1/11/14 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Yes pump and alternator will run a touch slower but you will be revving it harder and for longer than stock. Only downside is you may need to blip the throttle to start it charging. Plus side the alternator bearings may last longer

The nose flex with a single mass pulley has been found to be a terminal problem with big power zetecs but I've not heard of many issues in lower power set ups.

So if you have a lot of money into a 500bhp 2.1 turbo setup, don't do it. If you have a £200 lump with no turbo or head work 165bhp is the most you will see any way and crack on.

Streetfighterpete

posted on 1/11/14 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Wasa - yeah basically a standard 2.0 lump with cams, bike carbs and mega jolt ignition, so should be OK then - just need a longer belt.

Cheers

Pete

Streetfighterpete

posted on 1/11/14 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Doh! That should have said shorter belt!
big_wasa

posted on 1/11/14 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Shouldn't hurt it but it will only be bling

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.