Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type E gearbox query.
J222jra

posted on 10/11/15 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Type E gearbox query.

Hey guys I'm wondering if any of you boffins can help me out.

I currently have a ford type 2 gearbox fitted to my 1600cc xflow Ron Champion 7.

Does anyone know if a type e rocket box will fit the chassis without modifications? Will the bell housing hit the chassis? Is the gearbox mount in the same position?

I know that I will need a new propshaft. If it's lots of hassIe i will just send the type 2 to quaife for a rebuild.

Kind regards

James

[Edited on 10/11/15 by J222jra]

Paul Turner

posted on 11/11/15 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
I swapped form a Quaiffe type 2 to a Quaiffe type E about 20 years ago in my Caterham.

Space wise I knew it would fit since the chassis was designed for a type 9. The type E is bigger all round than a Type 2 but slightly smaller than a Type 9 except for length, well its 6mm shorter if you want to be picky.

I had to fabricate a new mount, its lower and further back than the type 2.

Using the Type 2 resulted in having a gearlever extension on the back of the box, with the type E it was unnecessary.

I had to fit a new longer speedo cable.

You already know the prop is different so no surprises there.

I used a RS2000 alloy bellhousing, worthwhile getting one as the total weight of the type E is then identical to the type 2. Make sure you get the correct release arm if you go down this route.

But if you already have a Quaiffe type 2 and only have a 1600 cross flow I would simply get it rebuilt. The Quaiffe type 2 is a superb box especially if you are running a cross flow with not too much power. At the time I had a 175 bhp 1860 steel cross flow that was in danger of destroying the box and that was the only reason I swapped.

If you are north of London consider using Steve Perks at SPC for a rebuild. Quaiffe can be expensive. Steve is on 01527 894232.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.