Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Novel BEC approach.
Rorty

posted on 5/1/05 at 03:07 AM Reply With Quote
Novel BEC approach.

Most BEC builders ponder the possibilities of connecting a chain drive bike engine to a propshaft and diff.
This enterprising builder has stuffed a Guzzi engine into the back of a Fiat 500 and connected the shaft drive via chain to a live axle. Rescued attachment Guzzy_Fiat500_01.jpg
Rescued attachment Guzzy_Fiat500_01.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rorty

posted on 5/1/05 at 03:08 AM Reply With Quote
Another view. Rescued attachment Guzzy_Fiat500_03.jpg
Rescued attachment Guzzy_Fiat500_03.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rorty

posted on 5/1/05 at 03:08 AM Reply With Quote
Top view. Rescued attachment Guzzy_Fiat500_04.jpg
Rescued attachment Guzzy_Fiat500_04.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

Matthew_1

posted on 5/1/05 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Is it just me, or has he missed adding a diff. - the driveshaft looks like it runs solid the full width of the car ?
ChrisGamlin

posted on 5/1/05 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
I think you're right, you'll probably find that its some kind of dirt-track car where you wouldnt need a diff as you'd be constantly sliding the back end to turn in.

Rorty

posted on 5/1/05 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
You're correct; no diff. AFAIK, it's a road car too.
There are plenty of cars around the world running locked diffs/solid axles/Detroit Lockers/spools etc. There must be thousands of Saturday Night Specials running BOC (as in welding gas) diffs too.
It just requires a modified driving technique which is the small sacrifice those people pay for superior straight line performance.
Many race series that run on bitumen mandate locked diffs, such as the Australian V8 Super Cars.

Cheers, Rorty.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 5/1/05 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
I guess if you dont mind chronic understeer, especially when off the power, then its a cheap way of turning the wheels

Crazy Jay

posted on 5/1/05 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
The noble m12 has no diff, and i think F1 cars are the same, altho im not bettin my car on it.
adampage

posted on 5/1/05 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
No diff on a Noble!?

The noble m12 has a LSD, according to the road tests, and every website I can find.

Are you sure?

Adam

ChrisGamlin

posted on 5/1/05 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
F1 cars have the most complicated electronic controlled diffs there are in any car, thats where they make big gains in traction.
Every standard road car I know of has a conventional diff be it it open or of limited slip flavour. It really would be nigh on undriveable without serious alteration to driving style and a hefty right boot to get it round the tighter corners. If youve never ridden a quad bike then first time you come to a tight corner, keep the power on otherwise you'll go nowhere but straight on, you really do need to steer them on the power - ditto go-karts.

adampage

posted on 5/1/05 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Back to the original title of the post

The lancia abarth built by Micke Fredriksson (now on the site building a trike!) used a R1 engine under the bonnet, turned round 180 degrees (i.e. sprocket at the front), connected by chain to an upside down BMW diff, driving the front wheels.

I'd love to have a go in that.

Although - wouldn't the diff be driving the 'wrong' way - i.e. not the way it was designed?

Still looks great though.

see - http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=20350 for piccies.

Adam.

Hellfire

posted on 5/1/05 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
F1 Differential

There you go...

Rorty

posted on 5/1/05 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGamlin
F1 cars have the most complicated electronic controlled diffs there are in any car, thats where they make big gains in traction.
Every standard road car I know of has a conventional diff be it it open or of limited slip flavour. It really would be nigh on undriveable without serious alteration to driving style and a hefty right boot to get it round the tighter corners. If youve never ridden a quad bike then first time you come to a tight corner, keep the power on otherwise you'll go nowhere but straight on, you really do need to steer them on the power - ditto go-karts.

A locked diff or solid axle isn't all that bad. One of the main reasons family sedans use a diff is to prolong tyre life.
I do accept an open/slip diff does make normal driving easier, but you can't compare a quad with its very high COG with a properly engineered car with a locked diff.
If you watch any of the televised races where locked diffs are specified, you'd be hard pushed to notice they weren't running an open diff.
I think every true petrolhead has at least once got the welder out and given themselves the thrill of a locked diff.
After the novelty and most of the tyre tread has worn off, most people realise that an open diff is cheaper on the public roads and requires less effort too.

Cheers, Rorty.

ettore bugatti

posted on 5/1/05 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't Noble use some Ford MTX75 transaxles?
Simon

posted on 5/1/05 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
My concern would be cooling and enclosed aircooled motor!

ATB

Simon

Rorty

posted on 6/1/05 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
I can only assume he's thought of that and addressed the issue.
I'd agree though, that motor stuck in there withought adequate cooling air directed at the heads and barrels would soon cook.

Cheers, Rorty.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.