Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2 bike engines.. V8?
akumabito

posted on 15/1/05 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
2 bike engines.. V8?

Ok, so some time ago, I came accross the site www.motorbau.de and when I saw that twin bike engine V8, I thought it was the greatest thing on earth.. so I thought I'd share it with you guys, but right before I posted it, I did a search, and I saw it was already mentioned in this discussion.

There were some interesting ideas in that thread, but since it's about half a year old, I decided to make a new thread, hope nobody minds...

In the old thread, NS Dev suggested that instead of joining the blocks together it would be far simpler, and cheaper to join the transmissions together, and have both engines drive the rear axle..

How would this work? How can you join two transmissions to share one driveshaft?

cymtriks

posted on 15/1/05 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
V16

Cyclone were showing a V16 (four bike engines on a common crankshaft) on their stand at the autosport show last week. Awesome.

Strangely it had Callaway written on the cam covers though it was a cyclone engine.

stevebubs

posted on 15/1/05 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
www.zcars.org.uk

http://www.tigerracing.com/cars/tiger-cars.php

subk2002

posted on 16/1/05 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know of any build sites,forums, about the bike engined mini's ?

Cheers Drew

[Edited on 16/1/05 by subk2002]

britishtrident

posted on 16/1/05 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
With two engines the torsional vibrations problems are not so much a leap in the unkown as a leap into the abyss -- really you don't want to go there.
akumabito

posted on 16/1/05 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
The tiger Z100 puts the engines back to back, to create 4WD, but how did they rig the front diff? Do they design and build their own, or is it an adapted (up side down?) diff?

On their site, they also say a transfer box combines the drive from the two engines.. but how would tht work if the engines are placed back to back?

Northy

posted on 16/1/05 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by akumabito
The tiger Z100 puts the engines back to back, to create 4WD, but how did they rig the front diff? Do they design and build their own, or is it an adapted (up side down?) diff?

I seem to think its an up-side down Granada diff, and it eats them!

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 16/1/05 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by akumabito

On their site, they also say a transfer box combines the drive from the two engines.. but how would tht work if the engines are placed back to back?

Z100 is RWD only. Both engines driving the rear diff via a transfer box. This relies on good old mechanics to even out the power.

Z100WR is 4WD with each engine driving a pair of wheels (much like the Twin-Engined 1000bhp Ultima they've just built). These cars rely heavily on Motec gadgetry to allow them to go round corners

JoelP

posted on 16/1/05 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
yup, steve is right. the 4wd one is really 2+2wd, which i cant imagine handles well. The rwd one uses the transfer box.

i wish i could find more online help regarding twin engined cars, with so many grassers using them you would that there were more tried and tested ways commonly known.

the hardest bit im finding is getting the transfer box sorted, what with the need for oiling and a cooler. Someone suggested tapping into the engines oil circuit, which might be a solution - but i still cant work out the best way splatter the oil about inside the box.

stevebubs

posted on 16/1/05 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Cyclone V16
Cyclone V16

Destined for a Corvette Apparently....commissioned as a technology exercise by Callaway.

If you want you're own version, you're looking at bills the wrong side of £50k (Ouch!!!)

Oh..and the V8 engine will shortly be available as a "Do It Yourself" Option whereby they supply everything except what you need from the 2 FZR1000 engines (heads, etc). You can then bolt it together yourself.....hmmm....

Cyclone V8
Cyclone V8

quote:
Originally posted by cymtriks
Cyclone were showing a V16 (four bike engines on a common crankshaft) on their stand at the autosport show last week. Awesome.

Strangely it had Callaway written on the cam covers though it was a cyclone engine.

stevebubs

posted on 16/1/05 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Joel,

Are you on the Yahoo BEC list? Simon Ranson (owner of the original Z100) often lurks there when he's around. There's also a good wealth of knowledge on BECs in General.

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/bike-engined-cars/

Alternatively, come find us in Le Mans - I think he's bringing the Z100 again this year.

Stephen

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
i wish i could find more online help regarding twin engined cars, with so many grassers using them you would that there were more tried and tested ways commonly known.

the hardest bit im finding is getting the transfer box sorted, what with the need for oiling and a cooler. Someone suggested tapping into the engines oil circuit, which might be a solution - but i still cant work out the best way splatter the oil about inside the box.

It took Z Cars a hell of a long time to get the transfer box reliable. I believe this was predominantly due to sorting the oil circuits.

Noodle

posted on 16/1/05 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Brian Hart did a twin-FZR1000 conversion to V8 a few years back.

See http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=5997&page=2

Cheers,

Neil.

Your sort make me sick

phelpsa

posted on 16/1/05 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
The RST-V8 caterham was at the autosport as well.

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chbright

posted on 17/1/05 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
ask these guys

they could give u some info possibley

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.