Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cutting sump for more ground clearance
colimp66

posted on 22/2/22 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Cutting sump for more ground clearance

Hi,
I have a Honda Blackbird motor in the back of my Hillman Imp and I have around 4" of ground clearance to the bottom of the sump and would like more without going to the expense of a dry sump. An inch more would be great.

I was thinking of cutting an inch away from the deep area of the sump and relocating to the shallow area to keep the same capacity, shorten the pickups within the engine and wanted to know if anyone had done something similar with a sump Blackbird or other engine?
Can it be done successfully?

I have removed the balancer shafts already and blocked of their oil feeds and run a baffle plate as I know the Blackbird motor has issues in those areas already. The car won't be tracked so only used a s a road car.

Cheers
Col.

roadrunner

posted on 22/2/22 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
I have tried it twice.
once on the zx9r. It had a permanent weep.
Then on the current ZX10r. It cracked on the mounting flange as soon as I fitted it. I ended up with a billet sump in the end. Works and looks so much better.

colimp66

posted on 22/2/22 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Roadrunner,

Thanks for the reply, good to know it worked despite the weeping.
I haven't done a search for a billet shallower sump for a Blackbird as with it being the least favourable conversion for a BEC I convinced myself there wouldn't be much out there and would need to fabricate one for myself.

Cheers
Col.

mark chandler

posted on 22/2/22 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I chopped a load off my 919 fire blade engines sump, just popped in flange down on a table, ran a sharpie around it an inch upon the chopped it into two. I then cut a bit of 3/8 aluminium plated to fit the whole, good degrease and tagged it up.

It did not drip, it was always moist in a couple of spots, I also had to cut down the pick-up and relief valve.

I then cut a bit of 1/8 Ali for a baffle.

It was fine for a few outings, however at Lydden Hill it throw a rod after the long bend so i fitted an Accusump then it was solid for years, still going strong when I sold the car.

blue2cv

posted on 22/2/22 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I have a westfield shallow sump on my blackbird engine, got a spare std sump if need

[Edited on 23/2/22 by blue2cv]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.