Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What is the best dry sump for a Hayabusa engine???
darth G-F

posted on 19/4/05 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
What is the best dry sump for a Hayabusa engine???

Looking at a dry sump solution for my Caterham. I want the best dry sump possible that will fit my car.

Where to buy?

Hayabusa powered caterham

JoelP

posted on 19/4/05 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
there arent many people with caterhams on this forum, nor hayabusa engines. Your best bet for a quick solution would be to ring caterham themselves.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

locoboy

posted on 19/4/05 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
W£stfi£ld churn out more busa powered cars than anyone i think so it may be worth asking them which one they recommend.

Click me

ATB
Locoboy

carnut

posted on 19/4/05 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Pace Products are the people to use
darth G-F

posted on 19/4/05 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
there arent many people with caterhams on this forum, nor hayabusa engines. Your best bet for a quick solution would be to ring caterham themselves.

In fact, you guys are some of the most knowledgeable persons concering BEC.

Caterham forums don't have many people using bike engines. Only the Blackbird and Fireblade. But then, they aren't that many.

Thanks for the info so far. Very useful.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 19/4/05 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
The best place to look for this kind of info is probably the Yahoo BEC List, a lot of us here are on there plus a load more people with Westies, Fishers, etc etc so the depth of knowledge is quite deep.
The There have been several discussions on there over the last month about different/recommended dry sump systems.

Chris

bike_power

posted on 20/4/05 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Extreme Engines have a very good system, based on a design developed by Power Tec for the Radical race cars. Chap who runs Extreme used to work for Power tec.

Not the same as the Pace or Westfield systems.

adamhay

posted on 20/4/05 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
Darth: Did you call Holeshot?
There are complications if your car is left hand drive and there are other complications anyway - e.g. the TTS/Pace d/s kit needs a special hydraulic slave cylinder which isn't cheap - only a problem if you keep a hydraulic clutch of course. TTS won't tell you about this - well they never mentioned it to me anyway.

You really need to ask someone who knows all the options if you are to avoid a costly ill-informed purchase. And like I said in my email to you in response to your post on Blatchat, Holeshot have a huge experience of putting Busa engines in cars - from Elises, Westfields, Caterhams, grass-track cars, and heaven knows what else.
If you can't call Holeshot in the UK, call Super7Cars in Canada - they know their stuff.

BTW, Westfield's dry sump system is.....well, lets just say it could be improved.
Pace won't sell direct (to UK buyers anyway) as TTS have the sole reseller gig for Pace Hayabusa dry sumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnp0WDDW7xs

darth G-F

posted on 21/4/05 at 01:24 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Adam. Well Holeshot finally answered my email and told me that the Koenig pan (with swivel) would be a good solution. Common wisdom seems to indicate that only a dry sump will do. But those who built BEC are kinda open to the swivel.

Super7cars, they have already two busted engines. They were sold with wet sumps. Now, would a swivel would have prevented those engines from going boom? Only god knows.

Is the dry sump the only way? If a swivel works and keeps the engine happy, why should I pay 5 times the price for a dry sump?

I'll tell you why. Because a blown engine would cost twice the price of the dry sump, and I'd still need a dry sump!

I really can't make up my mind. I'd like someone with a Koenig to tell me it's ok, you won't blow anything. Keep the dry sump money for carbon parts.

[Edited on 21/4/05 by darth G-F]

Rorty

posted on 21/4/05 at 04:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darth G-F
I'd like someone with a Koenig to tell me it's ok, you won't blow anything. Keep the dry sump money for carbon parts.

Why not ask Koenig if they offer a guarantee with their swivel sump. If they do, and you subsequently blow the engine, then you'll have some recourse.
And then you'll be able to tell us all about the swivel sump.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adamhay

posted on 21/4/05 at 05:34 AM Reply With Quote
Darth - The main man at Holeshot has been away, that's why they were slow I guess. Ta for the info on Super7Cars BTW - I'll strike them from my list of people I thought knew what they were talking about - it's getting to be a pretty short list now......

Is your car left hand drive?

I know what you mean about the dry sump dilemma. I'd still use a dry sump rather than baffled for the peace of mind - especially if it's a choice between a d/s and some carbon. I believe there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the Pace/TTS d/s kit although I think the oil scavenge pipes could be in a better position. You also need an electric water pump with the Pace/TTS kit.

I doubt Koenig will guarantee that your engine won't blow with their sump fitted. Will Koenig give you the name of any happy customers who can act as a reference?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnp0WDDW7xs

iiyama

posted on 18/8/06 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
I have been looking into this.

Swivel pickups are a good idea, but apparently the tollerences on the pickups are not that good. This could lead to the influx of air to the oilways which is a very bad thing!!

To this end, I will probably be using a dry sump system from extreme engines.

All dry sump systems I have seen for the Busa require an elecric water pump.

OX

posted on 18/8/06 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
iv used the westfield dry sump kit ,its done its job so far .and it doesnt require an electric water pump

[Edited on 19/8/06 by OX]

dilley

posted on 18/8/06 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Try Nova racing transmissions.
mnr laptop

posted on 19/8/06 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
90 % of the time used pace systems on the zx12 r s and busa s would imagine the westy one is probably made by pace

but did get a tts system for a busa once came with the same oil pumps as the pace one only the sump pan was different ( in my opinion not as well made )

pace are very good on the technical support side dont know about tts only spoke to them once

re clutch slave cylinder we make a bracket that bolts straight on using a rally design slave cylinder that seems to work ok, also as you mention you will need a water pump ( electric ) and a large area to place the tank also you will need an oil cooler

the other major expense is the pipework and the adapters etc when all done you are looking at spending aroiund £1000 - £1500 all in depnding on hoses etc

if you want any pics just drop me an email and i will send some showing the parts fitted etc

cheers

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
richard thomas

posted on 19/8/06 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using a baffled sump with no swivel and to date no worries - that said no track days yet and that might make a difference. I haven't seen a post from anyone who has run a busa motor's bearings yet - i'm not sure that if you're running road tyres on a track you will get surge so long as the oil level is full, maybe it's an urban myth touted by those that sell dry sumps....

I am now fully prepared for:-

a - a barrage of indignant replies from those who can prove me wrong

b- a knackered motor when I take it out in the morning for a good blast, sod's law and all that

Rich.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.