Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Caterham Hayabusa Turbo
adamhay

posted on 17/7/05 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Caterham Hayabusa Turbo

My car's nearing completion now - it's got it's MOT on Friday (fingers crossed...) and it should be out at Loton hillclimb on 30th July.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who's offered advice over the past 9 months or so.

If anyone's interested, this is a video of it on the dyno:

http://www.filecabi.net/v.php?file=1121074850.wmv

If you're thinking of doing something similar, feel free to ask any questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnp0WDDW7xs

andylancaster3000

posted on 17/7/05 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
Wow..looks impresive. Sounds (and looks) rather potent!

Andy

yahshuatwo

posted on 18/7/05 at 02:16 AM Reply With Quote
Damn! that's impressive. What turbo and compressor wheel a/r are you using. I'm building a stock Busa 7 replica, however, I'm considering the turbo option.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adamhay

posted on 18/7/05 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
yahshuatwo: Turbo unit is from a Volvo - a V70R I think.

andylancaster3000

posted on 18/7/05 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Your in Camberly aren't you? If so i may have to blag a ride sometime
scoobyis2cool

posted on 18/7/05 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
I bet that's gonna shift on the road!

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andylancaster3000

posted on 18/7/05 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Does that use the Hayabusa ECU for the injection or do you have an aftermarket mappable one on there?

Andy

adamhay

posted on 18/7/05 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
andylancaster3000: It has 8 injectors - the standard 4 on the standard ECU and 4 additional injectors on another ECU.
alfasudsprint

posted on 18/7/05 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Wow! So more than 600/tonne....whats your estimated 0-100mph? Less than 8 seconds?
Hellfire

posted on 18/7/05 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Good luck with the MOT.

Winston Todge

posted on 18/7/05 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Adam,

Very impressive setup! Near enough 300 rwhp should certainly demand some major respect...

How far can you push (in hp terms) the standard fuel injection setup? i.e. Standard 4 injectors and an aftermarket ECU...

Thanks for any help,

Chris

adamhay

posted on 18/7/05 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Winston Todge: The standard injectors are only good upto about 220bhp - that's why I need 4 additional injectors. The setup I have should be good for 360 crank bhp on 1.5 bar of boost. I'll get used to 240rwhp first (it's adjustable down to this)and then add more boost to see how it goes.

alfasudsprint: CarTest (simulation software), which is meant to be very accurate, predicts a 2.7sec 0-60mph, 6.6sec 0-100mph, and 10.8 standing quarter. This is comparable with the real performance of other super fast Caterhams so hopefully I can run a bit quicker and beat them.....my car's not been designed as a drag car though - the important thing is beating people up hills and along sprints.

yahshuatwo

posted on 18/7/05 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
AdamHay: How does this secondary ECU work in tandom with ths stock ECU.? Is there a plug-in part to the loom or do you have to "spilce" wires to make it work?
adamhay

posted on 18/7/05 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
yahshuatwo: The additional ECU uses the stock sensors and is essentially spliced into the loom. I had a new loom professionally made so this wasn't a problem.
The additional ECU comes with a base map that was pretty much spot on before it was dyno'd - it only needed a little tweeking.
I appreciate that getting someone else to do this is kind of cheating but it would have been a nightmare sorting it out myself and I didn't want to risk damaging my engine with dodgy fueling/ignition.

carnut

posted on 18/7/05 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
If you dont mind me asking, how much do you think it has cost to do the turbo conversion?
Any chance of posting a list of all the main bits needed. I'd like to do something sililar on my blackbird engine.
thanks
Carnut

carnut

posted on 18/7/05 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, ive seen this before but thought it might be cheeper to source bits myself.
ChrisGamlin

posted on 18/7/05 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
LOL, even those prices are a bit optimistic Id say, a friend has done an almost identical install to Adam's in his Westie and he reckons its not far shy of 5 figures that its cost him, and he did most of the install himself, including some engine upgrades (pistons, rods etc) to handle the extra power. Some of the money may be attributed to fancy hoses etc, but certainly not £7-8k's worth!

BTW, congratsc Adam, we'll have to go out for a blast sometime, Im only in Lindford (near Bordon). Bazzer should be on the road with his soon too, he fired it up for the first time this weekend. I suggested the name Terabusa just for a bit of one-upmanship on your Gigabusa effort

[Edited on 18/7/05 by ChrisGamlin]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.