Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carb Cleaning (Follow up to carbs puking)
chrisf

posted on 30/8/05 at 01:11 AM Reply With Quote
Carb Cleaning (Follow up to carbs puking)

OK, had a tear down of the carbs this evening. Number 1 in the picture is a mystery. It seems like this is where the carbs leaked initially. Are these the needle valves? Right now, I can easily turn them from side to side. I only pulled one before I realized it might be the carb balancing screw. Is this true?

It looks like #2 is the pilot jet. I pulled those and wiped them. They were all pretty clean and I blew through them to make sure there was no congestion.

#3 looks to me like the main jets. I pulled those and treated them the same as number 2.

Am I doing the proper procedure? Should I let the brass bits soak overnight in something? What should I do with the #1?

--Any help is appreciated, Chris Rescued attachment Question.jpg
Rescued attachment Question.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisf

posted on 30/8/05 at 01:16 AM Reply With Quote
What is this? Should I pull it from the rubber diaphram and soak it overnight? I initially pulled one and wiped it down. I didn't really know what to do with it so I put it back.

EDIT: Well I'd post the pic but the website is having problems. It is the needle looking thing that slides in and out when the black cover an the carbs moves. This is connected to the rubber diaphram thing...

Again, any help is appreciated.

--Thanks, Chris

[Edited on 30/8/05 by chrisf]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Brooky

posted on 30/8/05 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
the big white bulbous things are the floats. These are attached to the needle valves at the bottom left of the picture.
Peteff

posted on 30/8/05 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
1 is the pilot screw to adjust the pilot jet volume. If you've already disturbed it it's too late to worry but if you have one set as per original try screwing it in till it seats gently and count the turns, then set them to that for a start. The main jet is screwed into the end of the needle jet. Buy an aerosol of carb cleaner and give it all a good dose. Clean the needle and check it for wear but they usually survive alright. If it's been stood a long time they get a ring of gum where they are sat in the needle jet and this causes problems. Pull the float pin out and remove the float to give the valve a dousing with cleaner and work it a few times to loosen it up.

[Edited on 30/8/05 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Peteff

posted on 30/8/05 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Here Rescued attachment float.jpg
Rescued attachment float.jpg

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

chrisf

posted on 30/8/05 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, I had a play with the carbs before dashing off to work. I managed to pull the floats and check the float valve. Mine is either covered in rubber or has a nice amount of buildup. So I'll clean everything this evening and reassemble.

My final question is about the needle. Is this the needle you're talking about? Shall I remove the needle from the piston valve and clean that well or can this be cleaned without its removal? When I dissassembled last night, I wasn't too keen of removing the diaphram because it seemed fragile. But if it must be removed...

Thank you all for the help!

--Chris Rescued attachment inside.JPG
Rescued attachment inside.JPG

Peteff

posted on 30/8/05 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
That's the one.

Get a stiff brush and a rag and clean it where it is. Use the carb cleaner generously. The one I use is a Valvoline product and works well. Rescued attachment inside.JPG
Rescued attachment inside.JPG

yours, Pete

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.