Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Performance on Megabusa turbo?
Krullert

posted on 18/9/05 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Performance on Megabusa turbo?

Hi, what performance can you expect from a Megabusa turbo with like 300hp?

I´m thinking at 0-60 MPH, 1/4 Mile, Topspeed and such.

Oliver Jetson

posted on 18/9/05 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
You're looking at hitting 60 in under 3 seconds, 100 in about 7 secs, top speed of 140mph (?), quarter mile in under 12.

Oli

smart51

posted on 18/9/05 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
with 300 BHP I wouldn't be surprised at 160MPH if geared correctly.
zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 18/9/05 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
have you all seen the busa turbo vids on the dax website? The one at nurinburgring, check that exhaust note as he pulls onto track! beautiful!!!
Oliver Jetson

posted on 19/9/05 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote
I dunno if 160mph would be achievable in a seven type car even with a busa turbo due to having the aero capabilities of a wardrobe they get "skitty" above 120! In a more fully enclosed car like radical then definately possible. It's the speed the thing will get there thats more impressive

darth G-F

posted on 19/9/05 at 03:44 AM Reply With Quote
You might get to 60 under 3sec, but the limiting factor is grip.

Top speed depends on aerodynamics.

0-100-0 probably faster than anything stock if the brakes and tires are well chosen.

carnut

posted on 19/9/05 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
There was one at on of the straightliners mtgs. Did just about 11sec dead. He had adjustable boost to change power between 350hp and 550hp. He realy could not keep it straight else it would be loads faster.
Krullert

posted on 19/9/05 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
But with good slicks you could get under 3 sec to 60?

What clutch would I need for the engine if 300 hp?

Do they use chain or driveschaft?

Oliver Jetson

posted on 20/9/05 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
With slicks you'll see under 3 secs.

I'd guess you'll need an uprated clutch like a Barnett conversion with kevlar frictions. Uprating the gearbox may be an idea - stronger cogs/dogs to deal with the power.

In a seven type car it will use the normal propshaft setup for a BEC.

Oli

darth G-F

posted on 20/9/05 at 03:21 AM Reply With Quote
I use a chain set up on my Caterham hayabusa, but i`d say a direct to shaft fitment would be much better.

Hayabusa powered caterham

tony9876

posted on 20/9/05 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I had a westy busa with 210bhp at the wheels but traction spoilt the fun. They are just too light to get really good traction and it was a complete arse on the track,just tickle the throttle and off you go.
kb58

posted on 20/9/05 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Would racing slicks work?

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisGamlin

posted on 20/9/05 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darth G-F
I use a chain set up on my Caterham hayabusa, but i`d say a direct to shaft fitment would be much better.

I assume you're referring to the chain in your reverse box as opposed to actual chain drive with the engine mounted transversely like a mid engine'd car might be, which is what I assumed Krullert was referring to?

Back to the subject, a friend has a turbo Megabusa which when set up properly should be putting out around 300bhp at the wheels. Currently he's only running 5psi (as opposed to 14psi) boost and is already seeing ~230bhp, which seems very tractable and driveable even on fairly modest rubber (205/60-13 Yoko A048s)

Oliver Jetson

posted on 20/9/05 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Chris,

I think because Darths busa BEC is in Canada (left hand drive) there's a company over there that has come up with a pretty awesome bit of kit that allows the engine to still be mounted longitudinally in the car even with the awkward fact of a left hand drive car.
Have a look at this link to the company in question - should be to their pictures pages: Busa Chain Drive Thingy

Cheers,
Oli

G.Man

posted on 21/9/05 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carnut
There was one at on of the straightliners mtgs. Did just about 11sec dead. He had adjustable boost to change power between 350hp and 550hp. He realy could not keep it straight else it would be loads faster.

550bhp from a busa turbo????

You sure that wasnt a Cossie? The dax cars motor is only 380bhp and that cost an arm and a leg....

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Oliver Jetson

posted on 21/9/05 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Holeshot made a 500bhp road legal busa bike, broke the speed record for roadworthy bike at something stupid over 200mph! Somewhere in the region of 250 i think?!
ned

posted on 21/9/05 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
i've read of upto 700bhp being achievable on an american drag strip hyabusa turbo. rebuilds every other run or something with massive amounts of boost. not road legal, but achievable. they run longer suspension arms to increase the wheelbase to lower the CoG to stop wheelieing as much i think.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andygtt

posted on 21/9/05 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
saw a 600bhp drag bike at the briton speed trials that was road legal..... mental performance and the guy reconed you could pootle around on it around town as long as you didn't come on boost.

Had an absolute huge turbo on it. and he wanted a 4bar map sensor so he could release even more power by upping the boost......

the busa has got to be on the list of the best engines ever.

Andy

please redefine your limits.

darth G-F

posted on 21/9/05 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oliver Jetson
Chris,

I think because Darths busa BEC is in Canada (left hand drive) there's a company over there that has come up with a pretty awesome bit of kit that allows the engine to still be mounted longitudinally in the car even with the awkward fact of a left hand drive car.
Have a look at this link to the company in question - should be to their pictures pages: Busa Chain Drive Thingy

That's exactly what I drive! Chain driven Caterham Hayabusa. However, the chain is the probably the weakest link of the package. I might switch to a direct to shaft solution someday.

Krullert

posted on 21/9/05 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Here in sweden we have a company called mc-xpress www.mc-xpress.com the have done a busa engine with 685 hp @ 2,3 bar !!

[Edited on 21/9/05 by Krullert]

[Edited on 21/9/05 by Krullert]

G.Man

posted on 22/9/05 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
Jeez, cant imagine they will last long at that power... must be a rebuild every race...

700 bhp is approaching what a 1500 turbo F1 motor would put out on standard race mode... and they revved much higher...

G.Man

posted on 22/9/05 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.bigccracing.com/welcome.asp?page=133

LOL 500bhp for a mere £11,142 + vat + your stock motor...

I make that circa £15,500

ChrisGamlin

posted on 22/9/05 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Chris,

That's exactly what I drive! Chain driven Caterham Hayabusa. However, the chain is the probably the weakest link of the package. I might switch to a direct to shaft solution someday.

It still has a prop too though doesnt it, the chain drive just allows the engine to sit in middle of the chassis and transfers the drive across the car from the sprocket to a flange that drives the prop?

darth G-F

posted on 22/9/05 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGamlin
quote:
quote:
Chris,

It still has a prop too though doesnt it, the chain drive just allows the engine to sit in middle of the chassis and transfers the drive across the car from the sprocket to a flange that drives the prop?

Yes exactly. Rear wheeels are driven by a drive shaft. Drive shaft is chain driven. Sorry I wasn't very clear.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.