New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fireblade Sump - Ground Clearance
mike smith1

posted on 22/11/05 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Fireblade Sump - Ground Clearance

Hi,

Calling all fireblade powered BEC,

Can you tell me what ground clearance you have with a standard sump

I have around 30-40mm does this sound about right, my chassis and cradle is a MK, i just expected a little more clearance.

Cheers Mike

ChrisGamlin

posted on 22/11/05 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
You really want the sump a maximum of around 1-1.5" below the chassis line (assuming normal 4-5" rideheight), otherwise you're asking for trouble at the first sign of a speed hump.

mike smith1

posted on 22/11/05 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Chris, will measure it accurately later, its just a guess of 30mm at the min

Mike

Coose

posted on 22/11/05 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
I mounted my r1 in my Striker so that the sump was just above the bottom of the lower chassis rail. Yes, the filter may poke out of the bonnet, but it paid off when I beached the car in May.....

Be warned!!!!

Spin 'er off Well...

Gav

posted on 22/11/05 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Umm, im making my own cradle atm, whats the height of a MK chassis? its just that ive sat my(book) chassis on blocks so its raised about 35mm from the floor then place the engine on the floor, and the bottom lugs a the front of the engine which your cradle bolts to, still seems quite a bit lower than mine, in fact almost level with the bottom of the top chassis rails so if this is correct id what id have to do is notch the cradle rail (25x25 box section) to accept some 19mm tube to which im gonna weld 2 nuts either end to pass a bolt trough which is gonna hold the engine in position. its just everyone elses ive seen these are lower than the top chassis rails.

[Edited on 22/11/05 by Gav]

andrew.carwithen

posted on 22/11/05 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
I mounted mine so that the sump gasket was in line with the bottom of the lower chassis rail ( so bottom of sump sits about 1 1/2" below it.)
This gives me about 5 to 6" ground clearance (without me sat in it!.)

Andy.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 22/11/05 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure the car rideheight is going to be that high when you've set the car up Andy? My car seems about average and only runs about 4.5-5" ground clearance from the bottom of the chassis rail. If I recall correctly, the standard blade sump is around 68mm deep, or about 58mm with a side drain plug. Even my fully chopped one was still 50mm (2" ) deep, the same as the ST billet ones so working on that you're going to have the sump hanging at least 2-2.5" below the chassis.

Chris

[Edited on 22/11/05 by ChrisGamlin]

andrew.carwithen

posted on 23/11/05 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGamlin
Are you sure the car rideheight is going to be that high when you've set the car up Andy? My car seems about average and only runs about 4.5-5" ground clearance from the bottom of the chassis rail. If I recall correctly, the standard blade sump is around 68mm deep, or about 58mm with a side drain plug. Even my fully chopped one was still 50mm (2" ) deep, the same as the ST billet ones so working on that you're going to have the sump hanging at least 2-2.5" below the chassis.

Chris

[Edited on 22/11/05 by ChrisGamlin]

Just been out to garage and checked it again.
You're right, Chris. I've actually got just over 4" ground clearance to bottom of sump support fins (I have a side mounted sump plug) or a good
4.5 " to bottom of sump itself. (car must've 'settled' somewhat after fitting engine.)
It'll no doubt end up less again once I set up suspension etc.
Apparently, according to Pat (Avoneer), Tiger supply too long a front shock for the Avon, which is why my front 'bones are not parallel to the ground (thus 'jacking up' the front of the car!)

Andy.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.