Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Torque and Bike Engines
oliwb

posted on 12/12/05 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Torque and Bike Engines

Hi, there me and a m8 are looking for some kind of whacky car that we can drop a bike engine into. We were thinking along the lines of a vw caddy, suzuki rascal, fiat 500, pug 205 etc. We're wondering how heavy cars can get and still be suitable for a (fairly) standard bike engine transplant. I was thinking about 600Kg's plus the lack of torque would be a problem? Wott about clutches? Do most people change the standard clutch for something a bit more headvy-duty, such as a multi plate racing one or something?? Thanks in advance for any info....Cheers Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr G

posted on 12/12/05 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Just to give you some inspiration :

COR!

COR2!

Cheers

G

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 12/12/05 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Also do a search on the BEC forum here, the weight / torque issue has been discussed at length on several occasions

Gav

posted on 12/12/05 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
flippin heck that looks like fun
oliwb

posted on 13/12/05 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
cool thanks guys....Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
butski99

posted on 13/12/05 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
hi oliwb,
as for power and torque, i have a fiat 500 that i'm in the process of getting ready for an R1 engine, i can tell you that a bike engine is more than capable as they left the factory with 18 YES 18 bhp and something like 12lb ft. they weigh 520kg standard.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 13/12/05 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Yep but 18bhp and a gearbox designed for the car means its under a lot less stress than a bike engine

Overall I would say that a BEC really wants to be sub 420kgs if you want the absolute best performance, sub 500kgs will be fine still, but 550kgs would be the max I would go to, and then only with one of the bigger engines like a busa or ZX12.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.