New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A body at last....
Alan B

posted on 17/2/03 at 02:27 AM Reply With Quote
A body at last....

Finally made it.....

http://www.desicodesign.com/meerkat/Bodywork%202.htm

for more pics

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Spyderman

posted on 17/2/03 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Very impressive!
Well worth the wait.

Can I have those wheels when you've finished it?

Terry

Spyderman

ProjectLMP

posted on 18/2/03 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
Looking good. Did it come out of the mould easily or was there a bit of a fight? How much do you think the body weights?

Home of the Astronomicalcost Mid engined LMP project

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rorty

posted on 18/2/03 at 01:20 AM Reply With Quote
Well done M8, and looking really good. Are you happy with it, or can you see any areas you'd like a second crack at?

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

philgregson

posted on 18/2/03 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Top effort old chap!

I'm impressed - It looks like a car body!

Wish I had the patience to attempt something like that.

Phil.

sgraber

posted on 21/2/03 at 12:54 AM Reply With Quote
Top Notch!

In case I haven't said it already.

Congratulations, outstanding job.!

Steve G

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

robinbastd

posted on 21/2/03 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Well done Doc! If I had a hat I'd take it off to you. Weather (and missus permitting) I'll be battering away at the donor on Sunday
ATB
Ian

Alan B

posted on 22/2/03 at 01:29 AM Reply With Quote
Guys, thanks.
Been away all week so i was interested in what you'd think.

Terry, Wheels? yes for a good price

PLMP, In terms of draft and release yes, but a couple of places stuck (maybe wax or PVA problem) however, it will fix OK. I'd guess about 50 pounds...will weigh it later though.

Rorty, yes fairly happy, but maybe I would change some things...I'll know better when it's finished......what did you think? Anything particular offensive to the eye?

PhilG, Yes, it is odd, I'm not really a patient person....

SteveG, Thanks.

Robin, It's your doc I resemble IIRC?
enjoy the battering..

Again thanks all

Rorty

posted on 22/2/03 at 03:14 AM Reply With Quote
AllanB:
quote:

Rorty, yes fairly happy, but maybe I would change some things...I'll know better when it's finished......what did you think? Anything particular offensive to the eye?

Not offensive, but there's a small niggle, that I know niggled you earlier on. It's the front wheel arch. From 12 O'clock to about 5 O'clock. It loses its flow, and carries a flat area at its perimeter from about 2 O'clock.
It's avery minor critisism to an otherwise excellent job....but you did ask!

Cheers, Rorty.

Alan B

posted on 22/2/03 at 03:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rorty
AllanB:
quote:

Not offensive, but there's a small niggle, that I know niggled you earlier on. It's the front wheel arch. From 12 O'clock to about 5 O'clock. It loses its flow, and carries a flat area at its perimeter from about 2 O'clock.
It's avery minor critisism to an otherwise excellent job....but you did ask!

Absolutely...I did ask, and do welcome the feedback, both positive and negative.
It is interesting to hear how different people like and dislike different elements of many car designs...I guess it's when the same things are mentioned that you take notice more.
Again thanks, and everyone else please comment too....

MattWatson

posted on 22/2/03 at 05:57 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent job!

When does the bonnet get finished? I would like to see all the bodywork on this car. The more I look at it, the more I like it!

Matt Watson
--------------------------------
VW 1.6L SOHC Turbo Mid engined car

http://members.shaw.ca/wavindustries/

Alan B

posted on 22/2/03 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MattWatson
Excellent job!

When does the bonnet get finished? I would like to see all the bodywork on this car. The more I look at it, the more I like it!

Thanks Matt,

When does the bonnet get finished?..erm..I haven't even started it yet..
Joking apart that will be the next job after I have the body mounting figured out. I will be using the body in it's mounted position on the frame to build the bonnet plug....and I thought the plaster and filler was over....grrrr.....

chrisg

posted on 22/2/03 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Erm..............

quote:

From 12 O'clock to about 5 O'clock. It loses its flow, and carries a flat area at its perimeter from about 2 O'clock.

You could use it in the morning, put it away then have another go after tea.

Or have I misunderstood? not very likely I know.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Rorty

posted on 23/2/03 at 01:58 AM Reply With Quote
It's something to do with the way the afternoon sun hits it.

Cheers, Rorty.

kb58

posted on 23/2/03 at 02:38 AM Reply With Quote
My hat's off to you - fantastic job. While I'm comfortable working with steel and aluminum, the thought of messy, smelly, toxic, expensive (if I screw up) composite still has me scared. I'm to face my demons soon though as I need to get my own shell build up, regardless of who does it.
Alan B

posted on 23/2/03 at 03:08 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks KB.

It looks like you are making good progress yourself, and nice work too.
Yep, I don't envy you at pre body stage....although you do have a mold already IIRC.....plenty of wax and you'll be fine...good idea to have some else do one of the wax coats...they may get places you miss......

I'm looking forward to more welding and drilling etc.....almost forgot what it's like...

Spyderman

posted on 23/2/03 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Alan,

I find the rear section a little strange.
Particularly the hump over the engine.
Whilst every other part has an upward rake towards the rear, the hump is just a "hump" and does not quite fit in.
Maybe if the radius was increased and moved rearward it would balance better.
I am being very critical here and it is not that major! I will have a play with editing the image and see what happens.

I've not made my mind up about the area Rorty mentioned as I would like to see the bonnet on to see how it then looks. However I did like the computer graphic of this area in bodywork 1 "Rear_hoop_idea.jpg".

Looking at the scuttle area it looks as if the bonnet will continue and cover up your open wheelarches. Have you changed you plans there?

Looking at the front profile, I think the front valence need to be tapered in towards the bottom so that it follows the line of the wheel arch. This would be a minor adjustment (he says cuz he doesn't have to do the work).

So as not to be all negative, I think the rear profile looks great (often a problem area on many a car)!

Terry

Spyderman

Alan B

posted on 23/2/03 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Terry, thanks for the feedback, it really is appreciated

Seeing as we are talking about opinions (which are highly valued) there is little point in me agreeing or disagreeing with your observations, but I will try and comment on one or two points.

Rear hoop idea - I think there will be some form of roll hoop cover, but I'm not certain how far it will extend rearwards...I tried it like the graphic, but wasn't too pleased with it.

Bonnet - This is the current plan:

The inner arch extensions will be able to be trimmed off if desired to create exposed suspension, but I wanted to have both options.

I should have some more pictures on the site today.

Again, thanks for the critique..more are welcome....

Spyderman

posted on 23/2/03 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Oops!

I think we are talking about different things.

I wasn't talking about the rear hoop, but just using the image as that showed the front wheel arches as I liked them.

The hump at the rear is the engine cover bulge. I was only refering to this in side profile (maybe I should have made myself clear).

I'll edit some images and send them. They will explain better than I can!
Might not get them done this week though as I'm in Court all week again.

Where will the hot air from rad be exiting?

Terry

Spyderman

Alan B

posted on 23/2/03 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
No Terry it's my fault I didn't read it correctly...

I see what you mean, that area behind the arch was done to balance out the area front of the arch...hopefully it should look right when the bonnet is done....we'll see then I guess.

In court huh?.....just deny everything..

Hot air...most of it will exit through the forum.....seriously, I'll probably have vents in the bonnet.

Good luck next week...

Spyderman

posted on 24/2/03 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Alan,
It's not me that needs the luck, it's all the poor buggers on trial! I'm on Jury Duty!
Hang Em All! That way the guilty never get away!

Terry

Top vents or side vents on bonnet?
Won't that remove any chances of making front boot space water proof?

[Edited on 24/2/03 by Bull]

Spyderman

Schrodinger

posted on 24/2/03 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Alan
It's looking good and like the other posts I'm very impressed

Keith

Spyderman

posted on 26/2/03 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Alan,

Did you get email I sent?

Terry

Spyderman

Alan B

posted on 28/2/03 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Terry, yes thanks...been away all week so sorry for the delay.

Keith, cheers

Schrodinger

posted on 5/3/03 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Alan
Just had a look at the latest pictures on your site and its looking better all of the time. One comment on the start of the bonnet though, it looks from the pics as if you have it convex at the scuttle and nose but it looks like it might be concave in line with the top of the wheel arches.
It might look a bit odd like that won't it?

just an observation as I can see it's in the early stages

regards

keith

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.