Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Failing a computerised MOT
garyo

posted on 7/1/06 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Failing a computerised MOT

My local tame garage used to give me as long as I wanted to rectify the odd fault - sometimes as long as a couple of weeks.

They've recently gone computerised, and found that retests for 'minor faults' are limited to 2 days, so out of that window 'computer says no' to the retest, and they have to begin a new test, and take the associated charge from the DVLA - which they're passsing on to me!

Has anyone had any similar experiences? I'm pretty sure it's not b*llshit, as the back of the failure sheet has similar smallprint, but having two days to fix anything is a pain for the DIY'er if you have a full time job and need to get parts etc.

Gary

matt_baxter

posted on 7/1/06 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
I was always told by my MOT garage that I had as long as I wanted but officially they only have to give you till end of the next working day so if your test was at about 4:30 you only had about 24hrs to fix it and if they did not have any available slot then sorry you'll have to pay, how crappy is that.
bob

posted on 7/1/06 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
The whole computerised MOT system is going to have us all moaning,my locoal shop are just about to change over and it looks like there will also be a camera which pictures the car at the time of test.

Can anyone confirm seeing a camera at the front of the car above the headlight test area ?

would this be a proof it exists ploy

I think hooky MOT's are going to be a thing of the past.

[Edited on 7/1/06 by bob]

MkIndy7

posted on 7/1/06 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Discussed the other day as well,

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=36426&page=1

NIGHTMARE!

IainB
Builder

Posts 236
Registered 17/11/05
Location Glasgow

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Fiat X1/9 - GRP widebody, Bike carbs, Megajolt

posted on 7/1/06 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
My local garage gave me a free retest if i got back within a week when i failed on corrosion (not regarded as minor fault)

On reading the sheet they HAVE to do a full retest if the car fails on anything major, but may do it for free for marketing reasons....

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/IainB1986/

oliwb

posted on 7/1/06 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh, think that is ye olde MOT test though....now onto the new computerised one....so less option for garages to "market" as they get charged automaticaly by DVLA, so unless they're gonna give their customers £50 in credit (effectively) they wont be able to do this anymore.....Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zxrlocost

posted on 7/1/06 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
as far as I know you now have to pay for a retest unless the car leaves the premises of the MOT station ie they fix it within 24 hours for you

nice money spinner

what was that on again double your money

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

MkIndy7

posted on 7/1/06 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thing I like about the "computerised" system, it only works normal (9-5 ish) hours!

erm,,,, don't computers run 24/7 isin't that a major point of their existance!

britishtrident

posted on 7/1/06 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
There are changes going on on this the trade complained it lack flexibility, I know that my local Kwik-fit (ahheeee !) are now offering free re-test within a week on minor failures.
iceman26

posted on 7/1/06 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
no there is no camera at the test station .
They are watching the time it takes to do a mot at the moment.
They can do test outside the time you have showen but person in control of the site will know it has been done eg if they are working overtime

steve m

posted on 7/1/06 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
please say they dont have a camera to verifie the car ???

coz i will be F*****

Lawnmower

posted on 7/1/06 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
with regards to the time taken to do the mot, was speaking to a bloke who rented out a spare ofice where i worked, he was going into business with a mate to run a garage, and he said that the garage makes loads of mony frm doing MOT's.
AT ~£40 (inc vat) each for an hours work i was surprised.

He said it was because they DVLA limits how many you can do in a day, to ~ hour each, but most garages push them through in 40 minutes, and explain the exra as I started work at 6 am and worked till 7pm at night. when they did a normal 8 hour day.

hope that makes sense.

still a pain in the arse though, especially the picture!

Used to think all that 1984 stuff at school was a crock of shit, not any more though

[Edited on 7/1/06 by Lawnmower]

wilkingj

posted on 7/1/06 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Had my Landy Mot'd today, No cameras either. I would have spotted them, and the tester would have told me. It takes them longer to do the paperwork for the test (on the computer). Still the same price of £44.

The System could not identify my 110 County, nearest was TDi County 5 door. Yup its a County with 5 doors, but its not a defender, and its not a Tdi. My model (110) was only made for 2 years before it became the defender.

he just chose the nearest model.
Bearing in mind that Land rover made so many different variants its easy to understand the problem. He is Land Rover driver as well so was well aware of the problem!,

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 7/1/06 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
This computerised stuff is going to be bad news for some with dodgy V5's

andyps

posted on 7/1/06 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
The computer won't know if the car has left the MOT station or not, and what would happen if the garage was booked up for more than 2 days, or you took it on last thing on a Saturday and the mechanic was off on the Monday? Surely you wouldn't have to pay for the retest if you leave the car with them.

Maybe that some garages are using the new system as a way to end the practice of giving free retests - they have always been allowed to charge full fee if you took the car elsewhere for any rectification work, but they could not charge if they fixed it themselves.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

iceman26

posted on 7/1/06 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
you can leave the car at the testing station as long as is needed to fix it but if you take it away that is when you have the re test time limits so if the work is being done at test station it cant be charged for retest if be 1 day or 1 year as it has not left the test station
cornishrob

posted on 8/1/06 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
I think the way forward is has been said is an inspection to check for any fails.

i would be tempted to take my car for its inspection a month before its MOT is due so i have time to rectify anything at fault.

andyps

posted on 8/1/06 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iceman26
you can leave the car at the testing station as long as is needed to fix it but if you take it away that is when you have the re test time limits so if the work is being done at test station it cant be charged for retest if be 1 day or 1 year as it has not left the test station

Surely though, as I said, the computer won't know if the car was left there or if it was taken away - they only know what they are told - so if the tester wants he can allow you a free retest if you take it away, just as he would if you left it with him. The system won't know the difference.

Andy

haven

posted on 8/1/06 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Lets get this straight ( I own an MOT station) during computerisation there have been no changes to the way a test is carried out as regards retests and fee we garages have always had the right to charge for a full (re)test if the vehicle fails on anything other than a minor fault un less it is left at the station for repairs...the reason for this is that we are supposed to carry out a full retest, the reason most are now charging is because when we log on to the system to do a test VOSA know exactly how long it has taken us ( its timed start to finish) every test, every full retest and every partial retest. So when your car fails and you want to fix it yourself (not a problem) I then have to set aside a tester for 45 minutes whilst he carries out a full test so why should you get it for nowt, remember its not the testing stations fault that your car didn't meet the standards required . I work for myself not VOSA but I have to answer to VOSA if I don't do my job properly and that could result in my livliehood being taken away so thats why we have to follow the rules, the same as you all have to follow the rules by having an MOT certificate. The actual rules have not changed...all that computerisation has done is make it more difficult for garages to break those rules without getting caught, long term should see the end of the cowboys in the trade !! better for everyone
As for the price of a test....£2.88 goes to VOSA everytime you issue a pass certificate, the other £41.00 has to cover the overheads of running a station, calibration and purchase of equipment, a testers wages etc so considering a computerised test takes anywhere between 45 mins and an hour I think its actually pretty fair to all.
As for the camera above the beam tester...make sure you all brush your hair before you come for test

MkIndy7

posted on 8/1/06 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Fair enough, thanks for clarifying lots of matters and now we understand some of the logic behind it.

But it IS a rip off that the whole car should have to be re-tested again then after We have repaired it.
Why is it not only the part that it failed on which would prob take 10mins max to inspect even if you took it to another garage, as it is on record exactly what it failed on and what needed repairing.

andyps

posted on 9/1/06 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Haven,

I thought that was how it worked from what my tester said to me. It leaves me with a question though - how do you get round the complete re-test requirement if you repair a car yourself and then re-test it. Surely if it has not left your premises you don't do a full re-test, but can you beat the system for the 45 minutes timing?

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.