Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Wiring
mad-butcher

posted on 6/2/06 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
R1 Wiring

Is it possible to wire the sierra column switches into the R1 harness, the switches are the ones with the horn on the stalk 83G if memory serves me right.
as ussual mr haynes appears to be way out on his wiring, should be a pink wire in rear cluster 88/89 but its brown. Any info for converting harness to suit the car appreciated
tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
progers

posted on 6/2/06 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
I think you have two approaches with a bike engine install

1) Use all the bike loom + either use the bike switches or make your own switching arrangment compatible with the loom
2) Just use the bike loom for the engine/cdi/regulator etc and have a separate loom for lights indicators etc. This can be a bought loom (with connectors for sierra stalks or you can wire up to the switches yourself.

The later option is what you need to do if you want to keep standard Sierra switches as it would be very difficult to merge the sierra switchgear directly onto the loom for any bike (including the R1) unless you were very technically competent with auto wiring.

My first build I did route 2) on my latest I made a custom loom for the lighting and grafted it to the bike loom.

Hope that helps

Paul

smart51

posted on 6/2/06 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
My sierra steering column came with 1/2 metre of loom attached. This had all the connectors for the column. some apropriate connectors should see the two parts grafted together.

My R1 loom came with bullet connectors for all the lights. These are easy to extend to the extremities of the car with solder or crimp bullets.

I would try to use and extended bike loom if I were to build again but then I am an electronics engineer.

The only things missing from the bike loom are a hazzard warning circuit and a reverse.

zxrlocost

posted on 6/2/06 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
if you still have the r1 switch gear and dont want stuff like savage switches why not make a nice bar that the switch gear clamps to

as opossed to having that horrible sierra column thing

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.