Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: wearing a motorcycle helmet in a car
smart51

posted on 10/2/06 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
wearing a motorcycle helmet in a car

A biker colleague of mine has suggested that it is illegal to wear a crash helmet in a car on the public road. Is this true?
Stuart Ainslie

posted on 10/2/06 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Don't think so but wearing a car lid (Simpson Bandit etc.) on a bike is illegal
DarrenW

posted on 10/2/06 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
I had a ciscussion at a local bike shop about visors etc and they expressed no concerns over wearing a lid in a car. Sounds like a good safety precaution to me. The grey area may be wearing a lid in a car with windscreen and roof - our cars usually have neither.

David Jenkins

posted on 10/2/06 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Been discussed before - as far as everyone knows, it's legal. After all, what's the alternative? Going off-road 'cos you've just got a brick in your face?

As I haven't got a windscreen, I'll stick to wearing my helmet!

David

donut

posted on 10/2/06 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Perfectly leagal.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 10/2/06 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
I think that it is illegal in a tin top as it would limit your vision even more and would be deemed unnecessary in a roadcar. An open top vechile is different as you could argue that it can protect you from the odd flying brick!
I was behind a 2cv once which had sheets of hardboard tied across the roof (no rack).
Needless to say, they came off, but luckily they flew over the top of my car and missed me.
I was also driving through Kennington when the van doors in front of me opened and 2 guys threw out a double mattress. Luckily I ran straight over it without any damage!
As you can see by my avatar, there is no way I would drive without a lid!

[Edited on 10/2/06 by nitram38]

Fozzie

posted on 10/2/06 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Totally legal in our style of cars!

ATB Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Alez

posted on 10/2/06 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
A few month ago, here in Spain a clueless SVA inspector tried to add a special clause to a friend's Seven documents, to FORCE the driver to use a helmet at all times
Hellfire

posted on 10/2/06 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alez
A few month ago, here in Spain a clueless SVA inspector tried to add a special clause to a friend's Seven documents, to FORCE the driver to use a helmet at all times

And yet they don't enforce you to wear them on a Motorbike is this crazee or what?

wilkingj

posted on 10/2/06 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
I think that it is illegal in a tin top as it would limit your vision even more and would be deemed unnecessary in a roadcar. [Edited on 10/2/06 by nitram38]

If restricted vision makes it illegal, then how can an old VW camper with those tiny rear windows be legal, and Vans with solid back doors, and custom cars with lowered roofs be legally on the road.

I very much doubt if it is illegal.
However, I would agree that if you have an accident, the Insurance Co could say the reduced vision contributed, and thus reduce their payout.

You tell me the difference between wearing a Hat or a Helmet in a car... Legally speaking its all headwear / hats.

I cant see anyone taking you to court for wearing a helmet in an open top car with no windscreen. Its a safety item just like a seatbelt or roll cage.

Edit:
Just had another thought... If the restricted vision makes it illegal, then every Biker on the road would be breaking the law... The visual aspect that a driver has would be the same for a bike as a car, especially if wearing a helmet. They cant be legal in one scenario and illegal in another, especially as the Gov't has brought in a law to make hemet wearing on a bike a legal requirement.

Sorry I cant agree with you on this one.
Good thread... makes you think and exercise the grey cells

[Edited on 10/2/2006 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 10/2/06 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
We're fine - SVA man didn't question it. I had a wood saw flicked up about 10 feet high from the car in front (a friend) on the way to test.

BMW's crap and controversial C1 scooter had a roof/seat belt and owners argued they didn't need a helmet. Law said otherwise, and that's got two "A" posts 15" apart. Restricted view doesn't come into it.

Tax does! Speed camera pictures if it need spelling out

ATB

Simon

Alez

posted on 13/2/06 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
And yet they don't enforce you to wear them on a Motorbike is this crazee or what?

They do enforce you here in Madrid, they'll stop you and the fine is high..

As for the BMW crapbike, it's approved for use with no helmet here in Spain.. I thought that europe-wide "type" approval was the same (for a particular model) accross the different EU countries.. not so?

Cheers,

Alex

David Jenkins

posted on 13/2/06 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
As an aside, I was out hooning around the Suffolk lanes on Saturday... went round a corner and got a large lump of gravel square in the centre of my visor! Thrown up by my own front wheel!

Very grateful that my visor was down at the time...

David

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.