Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust can thoughts (Supertrapp etc.)
Avoneer

posted on 27/2/06 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust can thoughts (Supertrapp etc.)

Right, can anyone give me any thoughts on the following as this is hurting my 'ead thinking about it.

Was gonna keep my "standard re-packable can" for SVA and track days and use my oval Yoshi one for after SVA on the road etc.

Now, I'm thinking one Supertrapp can for everything.

I think the oval Yoshi can looks nicest though, but how will it be volume wise?

Any thoughts or ideas anyone?

Can will mid-mounted so the end won't be next to the passenger or the rear arch.

Fireblade engine by the way.

Cheers,

Pat...

Standard can: Rescued attachment Standard Can.jpg
Rescued attachment Standard Can.jpg

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Avoneer

posted on 27/2/06 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Yoshi oval can: Rescued attachment Yoshi.jpg
Rescued attachment Yoshi.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Avoneer

posted on 27/2/06 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Was hoping you would post Chris.

How do they sound compared to a Yoshi can like Hellfires?

And are how good are the discs at bringing the sound down to a low level for track days ???

Just trying to finally decided before putting both the other cans up for sale.

Cheers,

Pat...

Avoneer

posted on 27/2/06 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Would all 12 discs be quiet enough for a strict day ???

That's the main question...

Not to bothered about the sound as I can get used to anything.

I did start with a Tiger can on the Avon after all !

Pat...

ChrisGamlin

posted on 27/2/06 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
I would try and find one solution for everything because different cans will require different jetting etc. The ST can you got off me will give you somewhere around 101-103db @ 3/4 max rpm on a trackday although like all re-packable cans it gradually blows its wadding out and gets a bit louder over time. The Yoshi is going to be significantly louder than that unless its a standard bike can (ie not aftermarket / straight-through).

Does the supertrapp can exit underneath or something Chris, otherwise thats gonna seriously singe your rear wheelarch?

[Edited on 27/2/06 by ChrisGamlin]

Avoneer

posted on 27/2/06 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Exits sideways all round (not backward), but you can get a shield for the side that faces the bodywork.

Might be the best solution as long as it goes quiet enough!

Cheers Chris,

Pat...

Mad Dave

posted on 27/2/06 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Does the supertrapp can exit underneath or something Chris, otherwise thats gonna seriously singe your rear wheelarch?

The Supertrapp's have a cap on the end and diffuser plates that can be used to alter the jetting or sound level.

The pic is of my first Supertrapp and shows the plates and end cap

Feb 05
Feb 05

Avoneer

posted on 27/2/06 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Dave - you have U2U.

Do you know about the volume of them?

Pat...

ChrisGamlin

posted on 27/2/06 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Ah ok, I get it now, is it any better / cheaper than a decent length 7" conventional can though?

ChrisGamlin

posted on 28/2/06 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in the process of buying myself a 29"x7" can from Simpson Race Exhausts as part of a WSCC group buy for similar money so not in the market at the moment (unless the Simpson can turns out to be much louder than promised!), but it would be interesting to know some noise meter readings from one of those cans.

[Edited on 28/2/06 by ChrisGamlin]

Hellfire

posted on 28/2/06 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
In theory, the Supertrapp cans look good for adjusting noise and performance but in reality, I know Dave had a few problems with getting the bolts out on a trackday in an attempt to add/remove discs. Granted, the exhaust was extremely hot whiulst he was trying to do this but IIRC, they still didn't want to come out even when cool. In fact didn't one of the bolt heads shear off?

Phil

jack trolley

posted on 28/2/06 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to recall David Vizard had a pretty low opinion of the Supertrap (in his Mini-tuning bible?),
it reduced power more than noise.

kb58

posted on 28/2/06 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
In theory, the Supertrapp cans look good for adjusting noise and performance but in reality, I know Dave had a few problems with getting the bolts out on a trackday in an attempt to add/remove discs. Granted, the exhaust was extremely hot whiulst he was trying to do this but IIRC, they still didn't want to come out even when cool. In fact didn't one of the bolt heads shear off?

Phil

SuperTrapp makes a big deal about saying antiseize must be used on the threads. Had he done that?

I use a SuperTrapp on my mid-engine Mini because it was small, rebuildable, tunable, and stainless. I don't have anything to compare it to for noise or power reduction.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

Avoneer

posted on 6/3/06 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Right,

After much though and head scratching...

Got myself a Supertrapp can to try once my car is done and a rolling road session booked.

Supertrapp reckon the volume should be about 95 - 98 so if I see this level, that'd be great and all problmes solved.

As an alternative, I'm gonna get myself an R1 can to use as an alternative as these seem to be a safe bet for power/volume.

After original thoughts on my Yoshi can, I decided to open it up to have a look and I was very suprised.

I was expecting a straight through can like the normal MK/RAW/ST re-packable one, but have a look at this baffle:

Two baffles, one inside teh other and the inner one is solid for the top 1/3rd with just a few big holes in it.

There is a also a fair amount of wadding in it which isn't much off what is inside the MK/RAW/ST one.

This has got to be worth a try as I think it may be ok and it's a bloody loveley looking bit of kit - as long as the volume level is good.

I can get my R1 can and Yoshi can modded at the same time then for a 2" inlet.

Does anyone know what type of metal the goldy coloured pipe is that is normally on bike cans as the link pipe - normal stainless?

Cheers,

Pat... Rescued attachment baffles.jpg
Rescued attachment baffles.jpg

Avoneer

posted on 6/3/06 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
And the wadding: Rescued attachment wadding.jpg
Rescued attachment wadding.jpg

Avoneer

posted on 6/3/06 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Nice can: Rescued attachment can.jpg
Rescued attachment can.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.