Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Oil pressure and temperature sender mounting
lsdweb

posted on 14/3/06 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
R1 Oil pressure and temperature sender mounting

Hi All

I'm trying to work out the best way of mounting the senders for my Spa oil pressure / temp gauge (thanks Pat!).

I've read somewhere that it's best to isolate the sensors from the engine via a flexi hose to reduce vibration. I was thinking of drilling and tapping the large bolt securing the oil cooler, as this will take a feed almost directly from the pump, and feeding both sensors from this.

Any thoughts? The oil temperature sender is 1/8” NPT and the pressure 1/8” BSP.

Regards

Wyn Rescued attachment r1 oil cooler.JPG
Rescued attachment r1 oil cooler.JPG

ChrisGamlin

posted on 14/3/06 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Wyn

You've come to the same conclusion as a lot of people as that is a popular place to tap into for oil pressure

There's also a blanking bolt somewhere on the block that taps into the same gallery as the main / big end bearings but I havent had a look myself, but somewhere under the exhaust ports rings a bell.

Chris

Bob C

posted on 14/3/06 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
I whacked my sender straight into the bolt
http://freespace.virgin.net/bob.carter/images/oilcoolpress.jpg
If it drops off I'll post to the list. It has lasted for about 12 seconds so far....
cheers
Bob

ChrisGamlin

posted on 14/3/06 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
I dont tink they necessarily drop off and break (unless they are overly large), its more that the senders are quite sensitive and the vibrations quickly get to them. Several people on the Yahoo BEC list had failures when solidly mounting them so for the sake of a £10 hose I'd remotely mount it personally.

[Edited on 14/3/06 by ChrisGamlin]

jimgiblett

posted on 14/3/06 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I had my sensor remotely mounted on both my old carb engine and on my new FI motor plumbed in via the oil cooler bolt.

As Chris says hard mounting them destroys their innards very quickly.

My old R1 install is here.

Cheers

Jim

lsdweb

posted on 14/3/06 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys

Great information (as usual!).

My one concern was siting the temperaure sender away from the sump / flow - I was tempted to tap this into the old oil level warning switch but I think this may sit above the oil level! I don't have the engine at home at present (it's here) so I can't check. I may consider the sump plug instead.

Regards

Wyn

ChrisGamlin

posted on 14/3/06 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, just re-read your original post saying about both senders, but the above only applies to the pressure sender. The temp sender has to be in the oil flow as you mention, although the temperature senders dont seem to be susceptable to the vibrations, presumably because they are solid state.

I just welded in a boss in the side of the sump, I would be wary of putting one in through the sump plug if ground clearance is any sort of issue at all

[Edited on 14/3/06 by ChrisGamlin]

lsdweb

posted on 14/3/06 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Once again - thanks guys.

I'll look at getting a boss welded in to the sump - I have a little ground clearance but probably not enough to clear the bend in the cable sufficiently.

Regards

Wyn

ChrisGamlin

posted on 14/3/06 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Give me a shout if you get stuck as my uncle would only charge a tenner to put one in, but it will cost more than that in postage each way so probably easier to get a local fabricator to do it for a few beers.

lsdweb

posted on 14/3/06 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Chris

Hopefully, I'll be able to get it done locally.

Wyn

Bob C

posted on 14/3/06 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
So the perception is that the engine vibration taters the pressure sender. Yet these things are designed to screw directly into an engine? admittedly, they are designed for an engine doing 6k rather than 12k revs!!!!
As I said, I'll keep an eye on it & report if I have any issues (the bolt's threaded M10x1.0 now so a flexi is easy to fit)
cheers
Bob

Guinness

posted on 15/3/06 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry I dno't know about the R1, but I'm busy fitting oil pressure and temp senders to the Kwak and have found these guys incredibly helpful.

LMA Group

Their Gauge Fitting Parts section had all the adaptors I needed. They also do a remote fitting kit for different threads.

Phoned up an ordered on Monday, parts arrived Tuesday. Found I needed an additional part on the Wednesday, phoned up, got to speak to the boss, who was really helpful and again parts arrived next day.

HTH

Mike

lsdweb

posted on 15/3/06 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
I'm going to use a length of flexi hose for the oil pressure sender - I have an old (unused) brake line with 10mm male fittings each end. I can tap this into the bolt at one end and buy an adaptor for the gauge for the other end. This will save me having to source a BSP tap!
Ferrino

posted on 15/3/06 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I was tempted to tap this into the old oil level warning switch but I think this may sit above the oil level
I have done just this as it seems a logical place to put the oil temp sensor - right in the mix! Surely Yamaha would design the oil level switch to be submerged under the oil level!

I originally had the temp sensor coming off a tee-piece in the oil cooler bolt.

lsdweb

posted on 15/3/06 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ferrino

As I don't have access to the engine, just a spare sump, I couldn't check the actual height of the oil level although I was hoping it would be OK! I think this is the route I'll take, it just means I have to get an NPT tap.

Regards

Wyn

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.