Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Parts to find?
Pezza

posted on 21/3/06 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Parts to find?

Right, i'll be placing my order for the starter kit in a few weeks when I get some long awaited funds in.

In the mean tinme i'd like to try and source a few parts myself.
I'm going bike engine route and don't realy want to clutter up the drive with a doner car so was thinking of raiding the scrappy for the bits I need as well as eBay!

What diff is best ratio wise for a bec?
What length shocks am I going to need?
Engine wise, a carb'd engine will run off bikes ecu right?

any help would be most appreciated, this will be my first build, so I know it will be a steep learning curve.

Cheers Ben

[Edited on 21/3/06 by Pezza]

Guinness

posted on 21/3/06 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
Diff Ratio for a BEC is a difficult one. You need to decide on an engine first, then look for a post by Chris Gamlin. He has a link to a spreadsheet in his signature. Hopefully your engine will be in there. If not you'll have to trawl internet for the ratios and input them yourself. Then experiment with different diff ratios and wheel sizes. 3.14 or 3.88 will give you higher top speed against a 3.62 or 3.92 which will give better acceleration. Smaller rolling circumference tyres = better acceleration and bigger tyres = better top speed. Bit of a balancing act!

I set mine up to be geared to vmax at 127mph (11,500 rpm in 6th on 14" wheels with 185/60 tyres) but I doubt it'll ever get there. Aerodynamics and my bottle giving out first. That said 70mph in 6th gives me about 6,800 rpm which is OK to cruise at.

Shocks, don't know, I just used the ones MK supplied. Might be better to look at spring rate though as you are lighter than a CEC.

Engine wise, a carb'd bike engine will run off the bikes ecu. It has a 2d map in it, which controls spark advance against revs.

My advice would be to get the parts to get the chassis to the stage where you can get your mates to push you around in it first. That's a big boost.

Then get the engine in and running. Again another massive boost to the build when it fires into life.

HTH

Mike

Pezza

posted on 21/3/06 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guinness
engine choice is most likrly an r1 so far, and accel over top end is preferable.
15" wheels also looks most likely cost wise

Pezza

posted on 22/3/06 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone be able to tell me length for dampners then please?
chockymonster

posted on 22/3/06 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
MNR advised me to go for a 3.38 diff for the R1. Easier said then done as they are as rare as anything!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zxrlocost

posted on 22/3/06 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
mate get the protech shocks/springs from MK
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Pezza

posted on 22/3/06 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I've only a limmited budget for build, and i'm sure I can get some cheaper than 300 quid
IWantOne

posted on 22/3/06 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
try this guy,, first class on parts

http://www.kitfit-parts.co.uk/

Paul G

posted on 23/3/06 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
I got all my donor bits - brake calipers, steering column, sierra steering wheel and switchgear, diff, propshaft, brake master cylinder, handbrake, rack, hubs and driveshafts, from MK when i got my kit, all they needed was cleaning up and painting. it even came with the donors original discs and pads which were almost new. The cost of all that was £150 (obviously with the standard extra cost for modifying the rack and prop) - I thought it was well worth it as I didnt have the time, space or inclination to have a rusty sierra sitting on my drive which I'd have to strip and then dispose of!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.