Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Metal Plate
tony9876

posted on 3/4/06 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Metal Plate

Just about to start patching up my Mini I got of Triton. Wheres the best place to get sheet metal and what gauge type etc do you all recommend?
Peteff

posted on 3/4/06 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
You can buy most of the panels ready formed for a mini, or repair sections for the panels you need to fix such as inner and outer sills, floor pans and hinge sections etc. Most of what you need will be 20g but 18g is usable and easier to weld if you are on a learning curve.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

tony9876

posted on 3/4/06 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
I have most of the panels its just the odd hole i need to do.
DIY Si

posted on 3/4/06 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
I would suggest a washing machine or old filing cabinet as a good cheap source of such patches. Worked for my mini, and my mates minor too.
owelly

posted on 3/4/06 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Most motor factors sell 18/20g sheet steel in 2'x2', 2'x3' or whatever. The stuff that the places aroundhere stock is coated with some sort of grey stuff that can be welded but doesn't go rusty when it's sat in a damp shed!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 3/4/06 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
I get sheet metal from, suprisingly enough, my local stockist!

NSI in nuneaton, accept credit card payment, delivery is a pound (never worked that one out!??) and an 8ft by 4ft sheet of 20swg mild steel (crms) is about £14 if memory serves me right.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.