Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kawasaki engines.
MikeLR

posted on 2/5/06 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Kawasaki engines.

Help !
Does anyone know the dimensions particulary
the mounting positions of the ZZR1100 and ZX12R.Are they in a similar position on both engines ? is it possible to switch from one engine to another with ease or will there be a lost of cradle modifications to be made.
Mike

wheezy

posted on 2/5/06 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Im not sure about the ZZR1100 but Iam sure that the ZX9R has the same engine mount positions as the ZX12R.
JoelP

posted on 2/5/06 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wheezy
... but Iam sure that the ZX9R has the same engine mount positions as the ZX12R.

i thought that the zx12 was a much bigger engine than the 9.

wheezy

posted on 2/5/06 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Spire sportscars who now sell the GT-R say you can use the ZX12 and the ZX9 as the mounts are in the same position even though the engine is larger. But not having measured them myself I coudn't be certain.

Dave

JoelP

posted on 2/5/06 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
be good if it was i suppose, ive got a 9 and fancy a 12!
Guinness

posted on 2/5/06 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
I've just been out and measured my ZZR1100. These measurements are approximate, so don't go welding a cradle using them!

The engine is overall at its widest 490mm from mounting lugs on the gearcase to the top of the timing cover, it's 500mm from clutch cover to the timing cover and it's about 650mm from sump to cam cover.

My cradle mounts are as follows. There are two pairs of lugs on the gearbox side. These are 170mm face to face and 185mm / 190mm apart vertically. On the exhaust side there is just one pair of mounts and they are 300mm face to face. Overall distance between the lugs is about 390mm.

Hope that helps.

Mike

zzr1100 cradle dims
zzr1100 cradle dims

Sorry about the rubbishy photo, paint will only let me save files as gif's.

[Edited on 2/5/06 by Guinness]

Guinness

posted on 3/5/06 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps Hellfire could measure up his engine mounts for us and we could compare.

Having just seen Malc's price for a ZXR12 I'm tempted. If the exhaust manifold can be re-used and the chassis / cradle are the same it is just a straight swap I'm off!

Mike

Hellfire

posted on 3/5/06 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt very much that the ZX12R and ZX9R are a straight swap. There's at least three different mounting variations for different years of ZX12 engines that I know of.

I can get a few dimensions though if anybody wants em.

Phil

ChrisGamlin

posted on 3/5/06 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Id check what Spire call a cradle, if its made up of a couple of seperate spars and a lower mount to hold each side and end of the engine, its quite conceivable that you could use the same parts to mount both engines, but it doesnt necessarily mean they would be mounted to the chassis in the same places if you see what I mean.

Considering the ZX12 is about 90kgs and the ZX9 about 60kgs Id be very suprised if they were interchangeable, but it might be worth having a search to see if there are (m)any ZX9 bikes with ZX12 conversions, if they were interchangeable Id imagine it would be a popular upgrade.

ch1ll1

posted on 3/5/06 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
hope so !
sound just the job for mine !!

G.Man

posted on 3/5/06 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
I doubt very much that the ZX12R and ZX9R are a straight swap. There's at least three different mounting variations for different years of ZX12 engines that I know of.

I can get a few dimensions though if anybody wants em.

Phil

Blimey, theres summat I didnt know

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Hellfire

posted on 3/5/06 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Just checked a couple of measurements and comparing them to the ones that Mike took, where his show 170mm, the ZX12R is 185mm both top and bottom. The front mount is also very different. Definitely not a straight swap but shouldn't be too difficult to modify.

Phil

russbost

posted on 5/5/06 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
The Zx9, Zx10 & ZZr1100 are interchangeable to the best of my knowledge, I'm virtually certain the engine mounts are the same & 1 of my Zx10's has a ZZr1100 clutch casing fitted (slightly modified to fit). The Zx12 is a completely different engine, uses different mounts & the airbox is part of the frame so you always have to provide alternative air filter arrangements. All of the above refers to the '88-'90 Zx10 not the new one which I know nothing about (except it's still loads of money). Hope this helps clear things up
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Guinness

posted on 5/5/06 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Russ

Very interested in how you mounted the two ZX10's in the Furore. I have two ZZR1100's at the minute. Are you going to any shows this year?

Mike

russbost

posted on 8/5/06 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mike
Simple answer was "with great difficulty"
If you take a look at my website www.furorecars.co.uk on the pics & info page there are a couple of pics showing the basic engine installation, I think there are a couple more on my old websites which you'll find on the links page.
It makes a very wide installation which in turn creates packaging problems getting all the drive & suspension in - I wouldn't be in a hurry to repeat the excercise - the new car will be much simpler!!!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.