Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MR2 to F355
dobrien

posted on 4/5/06 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
MR2 to F355

I'm new to kit car building, and am really interested in turning an MR2 into a F355, with a kit from www.mr2kits.co.uk.
I'm equally interested in hearing from anyone who has used one of these kits and of any problems that were encountered.

Hellfire

posted on 4/5/06 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum. Don't want to sound rude but one small question - why??

The MR2 is a great little car but will never be a Ferrari.

andyharding

posted on 4/5/06 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know of anyone on here building one.

I think it's probably looked down upon as not a real kit car around here as you are only fitting a body kit to an MR2.

Now if you were to buy the body panels and build your own space frame for them to fasten to I think you would have a lot of peoples attention...

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

dobrien

posted on 4/5/06 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
you're quite right, but I figure it's a good starting point (mainly body work), and the end result is something that both looks and performs really well (or so I hope!)
graememk

posted on 4/5/06 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
dont robin hood do a smart kit for the mr2 or is that one one your fitting ?
James

posted on 4/5/06 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried this site:

http://www.mr2kit.com/

You get a better looking 'Ferrari' this way at least!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

muzchap

posted on 4/5/06 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Go for it mate

For £4000 - £5000 finished your MR2 will look the bollox!

You'll also con all the little 'gold digger' girlies and get some serious 'sucking' action

If I could be bothered - I'd do it

I had a Lotus when I was younger (21) - it was ace, could guarantee any woman would get it on

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

graememk

posted on 4/5/06 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
i used to have an elise, i never got any action in it, mind you it did take me 10 mins to get in and out of it. must of put the girls off lol, unless its because i'm a fat munter.

just a thought, would you be able to insure it as a kit car ?

[Edited on 4/5/06 by graememk]

locogeoff

posted on 4/5/06 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
I have seen photos of various 355 kits for the MR2 and as with all these type of conversions they either look great or completely pants i.e just not in proportion or the MR2 is clearly visible underneath the plastic if you get my drift.

Being an MR2 owner and a Ferrari enthusiast I would say get a rev3 tubby enjoy it and start saving for a 328.

Remember the old adage calculate to the nearest penny everything you need to complete it every nut bolt washer bit of glue etc then double the cost cause thats what it will cost. When you do this you will find that for a few extra thousands (he says as if it was peanuts) you could get the real thing

personally I'd rather have a 328 than a MR2 355

whatever you decide, go and see some at the shows etc visit factories if you can, get in touch with owner groups etc do your homework because what you dont want is an MR2 with a body kit, you want something that looks like a 355

James

posted on 4/5/06 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locogeoff

Being an MR2 owner and a Ferrari enthusiast I would say get a rev3 tubby enjoy it and start saving for a 328.

Don't know if you've seen the Robin Hood one in the flesh have you Geoff?

I don't know much about Ferraris, I was wondering what someone who knows more about them thought of the dimensions.

My first thought was that it was too wide/large and assumed this was due to the MR2 underneath. But then realised the massive wheels had approx 4" spacers on to bring them out.
Can I assume therefore that the 360 is a bloody wide car?

My biggest problem with it was the ride height was 4" too high!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

nitram38

posted on 4/5/06 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
My friend built one to a very high standard. Even the seats were changed to ferrari ones and all the interior was retrimmed.
He had a 2 litre twin turbo version which he re-chipped. I drove it to the detling show 2 years ago and it went like a rocket!
I watched him build it and it was quite quick, but it requires removal of lots of panels and some metal butchering to fit the new ones.
The roof line is the worst job as fibreglass meets metal and requires lots of filler (even with the removable sections). A good spray job is essential to make this car look good as the panels may require a good amount of Primer/filler.
Lastly, the only thing that I did not like is the use of very thick spacers on the rear wheels which will probably shag the wheel bearings very quickly. I think that they were about 4" each side.
Expect to pay alot for your wheels if you want it to look right.
It fooled most people.

MikeRJ

posted on 4/5/06 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
My friend built one to a very high standard. Even the seats were changed to ferrari ones and all the interior was retrimmed.
He had a 2 litre twin turbo version which he re-chipped.

Common mistake but there is no such thing. They have a single "twin entry" turbo.

quote:

I drove it to the detling show 2 years ago and it went like a rocket!
I watched him build it and it was quite quick, but it requires removal of lots of panels and some metal butchering to fit the new ones.
The roof line is the worst job as fibreglass meets metal and requires lots of filler (even with the removable sections). A good spray job is essential to make this car look good as the panels may require a good amount of Primer/filler.
Lastly, the only thing that I did not like is the use of very thick spacers on the rear wheels which will probably shag the wheel bearings very quickly. I think that they were about 4" each side.
Expect to pay alot for your wheels if you want it to look right.
It fooled most people.

Until the enigne started up...

The MR2 is a great car, I really enjoy my Rev2 Turbo, but hanging huge slabs of fiberglass off it does nothing to improve it IMO.

It may well fool some people, but you will be fooling yourself the most if you think it's anything like the real deal.

paulf

posted on 4/5/06 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thats something I have considered maybe with an alfa v6 , but it doesnt look very feasible as there is still a lot of the donor panels used, the fiberglass Ive seen doesnt look particularly good.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by andyharding
Don't know of anyone on here building one.

I think it's probably looked down upon as not a real kit car around here as you are only fitting a body kit to an MR2.

Now if you were to buy the body panels and build your own space frame for them to fasten to I think you would have a lot of peoples attention...

tom_loughlin

posted on 4/5/06 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
If you get an mr2, leave it as one - i have a N/A and its a great piece of kit - been in a couple of turbos and they are seriously quick, but nothing like how i imagine a ferari to be - for start it will might look something like one, but thats where it end - once you start it, thats where most people will realise its not real. I know its a cheaper alternative, but i think the mr2 is a great looking car normally, without copy kits spoiling it.
i much prefer understated cars than well overstated ones.
if your into body kits for them, why not go for something a little less ferari copied - how about this:

just my 2ps worth

Volvorsport

posted on 4/5/06 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
was i speaking to you on the RH stand ?

i can say that the quality of the 360 will continue to improve .

the 355 kits are brilliant value .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

locogeoff

posted on 4/5/06 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote

Don't know if you've seen the Robin Hood one in the flesh have you Geoff?

I don't know much about Ferraris, I was wondering what someone who knows more about them thought of the dimensions.

My first thought was that it was too wide/large and assumed this was due to the MR2 underneath. But then realised the massive wheels had approx 4" spacers on to bring them out.
Can I assume therefore that the 360 is a bloody wide car?

My biggest problem with it was the ride height was 4" too high!

Cheers,
James

Would have to resort to web searches to be sure, but I would say the 360 is considerably bigger than an MRS, I've not seen the kit in the flesh but the photos look o.k. better than the RH 355 one anyway. Your assumption is correc, mind you any car bearing the Cavallino Rampante is pretty wide ;-)

Funny you saying about the ride height but I've always thought the MRs sits rather high, and you can only lower them so much without resorting to major surgery, this can only be compounded by sticking huge wheels on them

In short in agreement with Tom I wouldn't guild the lilly (MR2 MK2) the MRs is a different car altogether mind you, there is a Porsche kit also, less likely to wake up with a Cavallino testa either!

Mezzz

posted on 4/5/06 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry but I think that its a little like cheating.

Its never going to be a F355 and I just think that it is morally wrong.

Dont get me wrong I want a F355 but not to cruse around in and look cool! I would want it as its one of the worlds best driving machine!

Have you though about building a locost?

But each to there own

Stuart Ainslie

posted on 5/5/06 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine has built an MR2 based 355 replica for his wife, he is lucky enough to own and drive a real 355 Spider though!

Building the car was not cheap and very labour intensive to get a good finish. The rear lights alone cost £800!!
Admittedly, it does look very good and goes well as it is based on an imported MR2 turbo.
Just beware with the front end on some of the replicas, they look terrible with about a foot of bodywork past the front lights.

The Robin Hood 360 replica is based on a new shape MR2 - A pricey donor in my books!!

wildchild

posted on 5/5/06 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezzz
Sorry but I think that its a little like cheating.

Its never going to be a F355 and I just think that it is morally wrong.

'Morally wrong' is probably a bit strong!

Remember most of us on here are building Lotus Seven REPLICAs!

My car will never be a Lotus in the same way a rebodied MR2 would never be a Ferrari.

greggors84

posted on 5/5/06 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
At least our cars are using similar chassis, 4-pot engines and arnt too far from the original.

If you were to build a Ferrari replica with monocoque chassis and v8 it would be a different matter.

I know what you getting at though, but i think people think of ferraris as more sacred then an MR2!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.