Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 oil/water cooler failure - one to watch
ChrisGamlin

posted on 17/7/06 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
R1 oil/water cooler failure - one to watch

One for all the R1 owners to watch. I was at Oulton Park on Saturday for a BaT trackday, I went out for a session and came back in after a few laps to drop the missus off as she wasnt enjoying it that much. This turned out to be quite fortunate though because I was just about to go straight back out when a mate noticed there was some coolant trickling out .

It turned out to be the oil/water cooler inlet pipe had fractured here.

oil/water cooler crack
oil/water cooler crack

Luckily I had a bit of 1/2" ali pipe on me and the hoses were long enough to let me bypass the cooler completely and I continued the day without a problem.

I think what probably caused it is the silicone hose I used rather than the original hose. I suspect the shape / length of this has put a bit of pressure on the union and caused it to crack. Either that or I tweaked the union very slightly when pushing the hoses on, but either way it hasnt taken very much to make it fail so certainly one to take care with.

cheers

Chris

Winston Todge

posted on 17/7/06 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Ta Chris!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 17/7/06 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Luckily I had a bit of 1/2" ali pipe on me

One has to ask why?

Winston Todge

posted on 18/7/06 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
quote:

One has to ask why?

To bypass the cooler completely I would have thought?

Chris.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chockymonster

posted on 18/7/06 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winston Todge
quote:
quote:

One has to ask why?

To bypass the cooler completely I would have thought?

I think that was more, why did he have a piece of ally tube with him.
It's not something I carry around in my toolbox

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 18/7/06 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
One has to ask why?

Do you mean why did I have the pipe on me? If so, then it was actually already on the car as a breather from the header tank going down through the floor so any breathed fluid wouldnt splash in the engine bay, so it was sacrificed for the repair, chopped down and used to bypass the cooler as shown by Chris's lovely diagram

I always tow to trackdays anyway though so do generally load up with tools and my "box of bits" which includes a few R1 specific spares such as spark plugs, clutch & sump gasket, spare oil filler cap etc, plus various nuts, bolts, bits of pipe etc which often come in useful for getting yourself or mates out of a hole.

Chris

[Edited on 18/7/06 by ChrisGamlin]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.