Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 5exi
robinbastd

posted on 9/5/03 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
5exi

Did anyone get a good look at this last week at Stonleigh?
Marlin have just launched it,using a Rover 200 donor.
What a bloody awful name,what kind of bloke is going to brag to his mates that he's building a 5exi,pronounced "sexy"???
Regards
Ian

Alan B

posted on 10/5/03 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
Ian,

Is this a new midi?
Anyone know any more?

Alan B

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 10/5/03 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
I just visited the website....useless, just shows it with a cover on until Stoneleigh....

Erm?...hasn't that been and gone?

I can update my website in 2 minutes, so what's their excuse?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dream

posted on 10/5/03 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Alan I agree,Why does it take so long before they update their site?
I don't hope this new car will have some sort of Macpherson suspension.

Jo C

posted on 10/5/03 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
There is a front veiw picture at http://www.totalkitcar.com/news.shtml#285
Unfortunatley the picture has to much reflection in it.
The Peugeot 206 headlights got me into thinking of the concept cars spades and dimonds that Peugeot made.

Jo C

chrisg

posted on 10/5/03 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
I picked up a photocopied sheet at Stonleigh but I can't find it now!

I would have taken the photo from the front too, the back is hideous.

(damn , there goes the resoloution about not being controversial)

I don't like it, but as Chris says this is not the opinion of an expert.

Cheers

Chris

(Oh, and the name is plain silly)

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Alan B

posted on 10/5/03 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Marketing strategy:

Ok we launch the product.....

Then we make finding info. about more difficult than locating Bin Laden.....

So then....???????????

Yep, got me puzzled for sure.....
I've only got drill a couple of holes and the planet knows...

That's:

http://www.desicodesign.com/meerkat/

if you didn't know....

robinbastd

posted on 10/5/03 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
I'm toying with the idea of taking a day off to trundle up to Devon and blagging a test drive,or not as you can bet your bottom dollar there will not be enough legroom for me.Apart from looking at its ugly behind I'm curious about the rear suspension set-up.
chris- I'm glad that someone else agrees about the name. Should be the next pink soft roader from Suzuki

Spyderman

posted on 10/5/03 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've just added two pictures of 5exi I took at Stoneleigh.
Side pic is poor, but rear image is ok.
Front picture never came out for some reason. New camera that I'm not used to yet.

Check my photo archive.

Terry

Spyderman

Alan B

posted on 11/5/03 at 01:54 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Terry, I'll look at them.
BasOlij

posted on 11/5/03 at 05:52 AM Reply With Quote
Seeing the first picture I though, hmm not to bad, seeing the second picture I went, that aint right! And I am not taling about the blur

Much to short rear, totally out of perportions.

Can't give a real opinion intil we get some good all round pictures but right now, I don't like it to much....

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

Jo C

posted on 11/5/03 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the pictures Spyderman

Well... my hope for some lines from the peugoet Spades where hrmm... wrong..

But honestly... dosn't the rear very much like the rear of the Strathcarron car.

see pistonheads test. http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests/index.asp?storyId=2923

What do you think?

Jo C

Alan B

posted on 11/5/03 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Very much alike????

Almost frigging identical if you ask me...

Good spot Jo....

Is there some connection, do you think?

chrisg

posted on 11/5/03 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Right chaps I've found the sheet but I can't commpress it to fit on my photo archive and still make it readable

Mail me if you want it and I'll send it to you

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Viper

posted on 11/5/03 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jo C
There is a front veiw picture at http://www.totalkitcar.com/news.shtml#285
Unfortunatley the picture has to much reflection in it.
The Peugeot 206 headlights got me into thinking of the concept cars spades and dimonds that Peugeot made.

Jo C

Sod the car what about that spunky little V8 further down the page, that's hornier than Kylie

Jo C

posted on 11/5/03 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I did remember some ad regarding Stathcarron, and going through the later edition of the diffrent kit magazines.

And i found what it. There is a small ad in the May edition of the Which Kit magazine. On page 126 there is someone selling a Sports car project based one the Strathcarron,

Maybe Marlin bought that one.

Anyway it's just unbelivable that Marlin haven't updated their site. It's more than a week since the cover fell...

Jo C

Spyderman

posted on 11/5/03 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinbastd
I'm toying with the idea of taking a day off to trundle up to Devon and blagging a test drive,or not as you can bet your bottom dollar there will not be enough legroom for me.Apart from looking at its ugly behind I'm curious about the rear suspension set-up.
chris- I'm glad that someone else agrees about the name. Should be the next pink soft roader from Suzuki

I would'nt go for a test drive yet!
It wasn't finished. There was no interior in it as such.
You can bet it won't be road worthy before the end of summer, so take your thermals with you!

Did we have summer yet? I seem to remember a warm week, or was that last year?

Terry

Spyderman

robinbastd

posted on 11/5/03 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the pics Terry,as for a test drive.........things move at a "dreckly" pace down here in Cornwall.So much so that it makes manana look hurried.
Regarding the Strathcarron,ISTR that they used emissions problems as the excuse for ceasing production/going tits up.Hasn't seemed to stop others from producing bike engined cars......
Regards
Ian

aplmack

posted on 11/5/03 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Nice to see the aluminium honeycomb chassis. Was thinking about using this myself - maybe I can pinch some from the workshop - its an amazing material.

Does anyone know of any cheep places for composite materials and modelling clay etc?

Noodle

posted on 12/5/03 at 06:12 AM Reply With Quote
From Spyderman's pictures, it looks as though the rear overhang doesn't drop down far enough to meet the line of the sills.

The rear shape doesn't lend itself to 'arse kicked in the air' style, so I'm unsure as to what they're trying to achieve.

Nit-picking? Maybe, but something like that would play on my mind.

Neil.

p.s I thought Marlin went bump a few months ago, or did I dream that? I dream strange thinks but as that doesn't seem that strange, it could be true

p.p.s I thought Strathcarron's problems stemmed from emissions from the Triumph engine for homologation as they were a full-on manufacturer of new cars. ???

Alan B

posted on 12/5/03 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aplmack
Nice to see the aluminium honeycomb chassis. Was thinking about using this myself - maybe I can pinch some from the workshop - its an amazing material.

Does anyone know of any cheep places for composite materials and modelling clay etc?

Hmmm? strange...the info. that I saw (thanks Chris) showed a VERY lightweight spaceframe..no mention of honeycomb...

aplmack

posted on 12/5/03 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Take a look at the pistonheads article on the previous page, go about half way down and look int he grey area ont he right. Got some pics of the central honeycomb based section with the front and rear suspensions attached.
Alan B

posted on 12/5/03 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, I see you mean the Strathcarron...Yes, honeycomb for sure.

I meant the 5exi...
That is definitely a space frame.

Schrodinger

posted on 12/5/03 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
I saw the car at Stoneleigh and it was no where near finished the windscreen was held in with a couple of bits of tape to the tube support for the screen surround.

Keith

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.