Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 questions
jim7

posted on 26/9/06 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
R1 questions

Hi,

In need of some guidence re R1 please. Firstly before I fit clutch cable the clutch lever seems really hard to move, only tried with hand force but the lever doesn't seem particularly strong and concerned I might break or damage if I connect up and use more force. Should it be impossible to push in at all with hand pressure?

Secondly the cooling system has t piece inserted in it between thermostat housing and rad. I am using R1 rad so do I need this? As I can't see where it connects to.

Lastly where is it poss to purchase the metal(?) pipes that look so good and are used in place of coolant hose.

Thanks for any help.
jim Rescued attachment r1 engine thermo.jpg
Rescued attachment r1 engine thermo.jpg

R1 STRIKER

posted on 27/9/06 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Jim,

1, The clutch lever will be very difficult to move by hand, this is normal. When the cable is fitted there should be about 12mm of movement at clutch arm. Don't over pull this as the pedal will go to floor and you will likely have to take clutch cover off to release.

2, Not sure about this one as I don't use the bike rad. Someone will be along shortly i'm sure.

3, The ally pipe can be found all over (D/T, Car builder solutions, Merlin motorsport)
From memory I think Merlin will do any length you want and then swage the ends for you.

Hope this helps.

Ben
R1 STRIKER

smart51

posted on 27/9/06 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
I put an adjustable spanner over the clutch arm to turn it. I only turn it enough to fit / remove the clutch cable. I guess it would be easy to overdo it.

The tee is to join the hose from the oil cooler to the hose from the stat for use on normal radiators. An R1 rad should have a separate inlet for each hose.

chockymonster

posted on 27/9/06 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
I got my metal pipe from B&Q, it's a 32mm aerial support pole

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zxrlocost

posted on 27/9/06 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
1. youll never move a clutch lever by hand espec if youve doubled up the springs

2. that thermostat wasnt on my 99 engine ??

3.. alloy aerial pipe from B&Q pop rivet the end to make the lifted part

take a look in my gallery to see samco hoses and shiny pipe

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

jim7

posted on 27/9/06 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, super helpful response as always.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.