Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Minor updates
Alan B

posted on 16/6/03 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Minor updates

Nothing serious, or anything you couldn't guess......

http://www.desicodesign.com/meerkat/

I have my designer in CA on board, so expect more of his input soon.

I'm more keeping this section going as much as anything......I hope the lack of posts means activity in the garages/workshop...

Briefly, where is everyone up to with their projects?

(OK, I know most of your progress....but if anyone doesn't....lets catch up now...)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MattWatson

posted on 16/6/03 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
My progress = absolutely nothing

I am working now to save up enough money to get this year of university paid for 9only 500 to go yea!) and then the rest can be channeled into something.

(Most likely steel for a chassis, or clay for a buck.)

Matt Watson
--------------------------------
VW 1.6L SOHC Turbo Mid engined car

http://members.shaw.ca/wavindustries/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 16/6/03 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Buying the steel is always a good bet......allows you to do a lot of work for small outlay.....

Hope you get back on track soon....

ijohnston99

posted on 16/6/03 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Alan,
Do you pay Chris advertising fees? I think he could do with some money from someone using his site to plug a new car.

Ian

Alan B

posted on 16/6/03 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Ian,

I think you will find if you search the archives that my assistance to others far outweighs any publicity I may get from here.....

Many people have found my input worthwhile both on here and on my site....

I'm sorry you feel that way...

If people think I'm out of order I'll gladly stop posting.....but as of now I'm just like everyone else..building a one-off

Alan B

posted on 16/6/03 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Another point.....

Tiger and MK even have their own sections...yet I'm only aware that Luego actually pay anything.....

Your remark may have been a little tongue in cheek perhaps, but was uncalled for IMO....

ijohnston99

posted on 16/6/03 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
I just seem to remember you giving other people a hard time for promoting their cars on lists!

Pot-kettle!

I have no issue with people promoting their products (The more info the better!)

It's just double standards I can't stand.

No offence like....
Ian

Alan B

posted on 16/6/03 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Who did I give a hard time to for promoting their products on here?

I agree with you if it is relevant and not OTT then it is welcome....

I'm pretty sure any time this issue has been raised I've been all for it....

The only thing I recall discussing in detail about any other car was regarding Coram. My points then were clearly aimed at whether missing Stoneleigh was a good idea or not as I feared for lost sales......certainly no mention of them promoting the car on here, which I don't think they ever did....

Show me evidence of double standards and I'll hold my hand up..

sgraber

posted on 16/6/03 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Damn IAN!! Where the F. do you get off eh?

If you can't see that Alan is using this list for its INTENDED PURPOSE, then maybe you should just scoot yourself on outta here!

I read crap like yours from time to time and I know that you have NO IDEA of the history of this list. You don't know Who Alan is. And you don't know that he is one of the founding members around here.

You just pop in one some of the latest threads and see the world from your little close-minded perspective, formulate a bogus opinion and blurt out some hurtful drivel.

His car build is the REASON there is a mid-engine section here. Did you know that?

Go away.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

ijohnston99

posted on 16/6/03 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Not on this list.

and yes it was Coram you were giving a hard time.

Mr Graber. I have an idea of history of this list. I know all about Alans project as I too have been following his project closely.

I am sure Alan is big enough to stand up for his self. As for a bogus opinion, I'm sure you'll find the opinion is well founded. IF YOU KNEW THE HISTORY.

It was just a passing comment to Alan (I'm sure he took it in the fashion it was meant).

As for your tone Mr Graber, I know for a fact that I would make my comment face to face with Alan.

Would you make your comments to my face.......

Now you go away and stop being a p***k!

[Edited on 16/6/03 by ijohnston99]

Alan B

posted on 16/6/03 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Steve, Thanks for that <blushes>

Ian, I've gone over in my mind many postings of when other products have been promoted....and I've always had the same response...."if it is relevant, yet restrained, then I am for it 100%"

Ironically, I don't even have anything to sell (or even close) at this stage...I'm just sharing the experience of building a car righ now.

I've had many e-mails mentioning just that......."thanks for sharing".....

If mentioning that it will be for sale in the future is a crime...........then yes, I'm guilty..

ijohnston99

posted on 16/6/03 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
You gave Coram a hard time for this in the past Alan. Vapourware and too much talk I believe were terms you used.

It's interesting for most of us to hear how new manufacturers are getting on.

As stated earlier, the info you supply is valuable (Not just the info on your product).

It's just the double standards.

and yes my comment was slightly tongue in cheek.

Ian

Alan B

posted on 16/6/03 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Ian,

There are no double standards here....I'm pretty certain I've never discussed Coram elsewhere, except on Pistonheads, where I and others were giving feedback on their website and directly to Coram where I expressed usability concerns regarding the website.

The only time marketing was discussed was on here when I expressed concerns that booking shows, then cancelling them does not help the public's perspective of them.

Then, as now, I wished them only the best of luck with a car that ought to do well........

Never have I been critical of them for promoting the car ever...I have never doubted the cars capabilities nor the dedication of the owners....only the bad vibes given out by cancelling shows...

Oh, BTW I'm pretty certain Steve would make those comments to your face....

So, bottom line from me..show me where I critisised anyone for online promotion of relevant products in a relevent forum....and I will hold my hand up......

Failing that I'll consider this matter closed...and get back to building......

Alan B

posted on 16/6/03 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ian, OK last word from me...

I said..

"Coram's problem IMO is that they have teased for soooo long.....

Either show it when it is ready, or shut up about it....again IMO "

No critisism about promoting the car...just lack of showing....again intended for their benefit really......

Surely you'd agree that cancelling shows doesn't help them?

That was main point really...

[Edited on 16/6/03 by Alan B]

ijohnston99

posted on 16/6/03 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Either show it when it is ready, or shut up about it

Was my point to you too. You made that comment (Either on TOL or Pistionheads, can't remember which), while promoting your progress on here. Which in my opinion is setting a double standard.

I totally agree with you about the cancelling of shows. Although they have had their reasons (As discussed before)

I am in the fortunate position where I am looking to buy a kit and they are only a few miles down the road from me.

I have been down and seen the cars on a few occasions (Even driven one of the beasts), and I feel they have a strong product which they should be shouting about, but they (being typical engineers) are perfectionists and want every to be 'just right', prior to putting it before the public. As last time this happened they were slated for the finish of the prototype, which although drove like a dream (as they want it to), but was a bit rough round the edges.

Anyway, I'm off to make the most of the rest of the sunshine (We're not all fortunate enough to live in FL), and have a beer!

Ian

[Edited on 16/6/03 by ijohnston99]

Alan B

posted on 16/6/03 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Ian,

I guess we'll have to disagree on the definition of double standards...

The bit you quote was entirely in the context of not attending shows....not the same as telling us about progress, which I think is different.......still we probably won't agree on this...

Glad to hear that they are close to production, and hope it does well...I visit their site often to see how it is going...I totally understand the perfectionist part and that's good, but only to certain extent.....

Oh BTW, not much sun here today...very wet and stormy...

sgraber

posted on 16/6/03 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ijohnston99
As for your tone Mr Graber, I know for a fact that I would make my comment face to face with Alan.

Would you make your comments to my face.......

Now you go away and stop being a p***k!

I will defend Alan even though he doesn't NEED it because I feel strongly that you are WRONG in making baseless accusations that smear the good name of a person that I consider a mentor. What good are friends if they don't come to your defense?

Your implication that he is setting a double standard simply doesn't hold up. And the fact that you feel that it does possibly indicates that you have some other issues that maybe you should work out in private with a psychiatrist.

Why did you decide to air your negative thoughts here on a public forum if you didn't intend to get some response?!

As my last word on the subject (and no amount of goading on your part will invoke a response): It's your prerogative in a free world to say and think what you wish. But Shame on you, you should have started your own thread in the area of the forum where that crap is intended to go..

No Offence like... Oh yeah, I'm being totally tongue-in-cheek... Don't be so offended

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

TheGecko

posted on 17/6/03 at 12:53 AM Reply With Quote
A coupla things here....

Ian - So, Alan berates Coram for promoting a car as being nearly in production and then not showing it. He then displays here the progress on his car which he openly states MAY be available as a kit at some unspecified time in the future. This is a double standard how??

Alan - The new look is.... spectacular? Should be "interesting" to make the molds . I (genuinely) look forward to your progress updates. They simultaneously encourage and terrify me with respect to my project

My project? I'm chasing the best price on an engine at present. Once I have that in hand I can start building around it. Plus, a local list member cleared the mental block I had about front suspension. I had it fixed in my head that the Corolla PCD was 4x114.3 - of course that's RWD Corolla and the FWD ones are 4x100, the same as Gemini (Chevette etc) which are cheap, light and readily available. Front suspension solved Using RWD offset wheels will give me correct KPI/contact patch intersection at the front and some extra suspension clearance at the rear. Normally, I'd be wary of using RWD offset wheels on FWD hubs but, since they won't be steering (in fact, they'll almost certainly be locked together with a deDion tune), I'm not too concerned.

Assuming an engine shows itself in the next week or two (complete silvertop 20-valve motors are now around AUD$1000 here - say USD$600), construction should be underway in July or August as everything else is now in place. Then I'll need to do a BIG update to my stale old website.

Best wishes for your project and look forward to your updates.

Dominic
Brisbane, Australia
http://www.DIYSportsCar.org

Alan B

posted on 17/6/03 at 02:08 AM Reply With Quote
Dominic, thanks for that...appreciate the positive feedback....

De Dion huh?...like Steve...does look promising and fairly simple too....... You guys have it difficult over there don't you, but at least it is fairly well laid out what you have to do....here it is very vague and varies a lot from one state to another....that engine price for a 20V is not too bad...similar to here..should go well..

Ah, the mould...yes it will be interesting but I'll find a way...simply put if you can find a way to be able to make moulds from the plug that can be pulled without destroying or distorting the plug...then you can make parts......so really it is just a case of visualizing the mould removal from the plug....

I look forward to your update...I bet you will too...

Jumpy Guy

posted on 25/6/03 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
An outsiders opinion

Gentlemen, I rarely poke my nose into this part of the site, so excuse my comments being so tardy.....
Interesting debate here, and from my point of view a completly innocent, slightly sarcastic point made by ijohnston99 has developed into a bit of a slanging match.
I read all of Alan B posts after reading the debate, and his car is a thing of engineering professionalism and beauty.
And his input seems to be expert and considered.
However, I cant read phrases such as-

sgraber-
"You don't know Who Alan is. And you don't know that he is one of the founding members around here."

without responding in some way!
>> Not to put to fine a point on it- is this relevant? who cares?
This sort of nonsense is what creates the impression of a clique, and prevents newcomers from posting.

"You just pop in one some of the latest threads and see the world from your little close-minded perspective, formulate a bogus opinion and blurt out some hurtful drivel. "
>> Isn't that what you've just done?

To my mind, this is a forum for advice AND DEBATE!
The day that we cant post what we feel without being rounded on is the day when we're all taking this a bit seriously-
This is just a computer website and what we build is just a car!

As for the original point - I didn't even realise Alan B was involved in any business side to his creation, so think that Ijohnston99 was wrong, and that everyone else a wee bitty touchy!

btw , I have no links to anyone in this debate, just hate to see someone vilified for expressing an opinion, and an off- the-cuff one at that!!

David Jenkins

posted on 25/6/03 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Actually, we'd all forgotten about it, until you posted...

David

Jumpy Guy

posted on 25/6/03 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thought that! Had to have an indignant rant though!

Must spend more time skivin at work, to keep up to speed!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.