Simon S
Contributor

Posts 20
Registered 18/2/06

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Own designed single seat track day car

posted on 7/1/07 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra Driveshaft Types & Sources

Wise people of the forum (!), I have a question regarding types of Sierra drive shaft. I am building a one-off with a UN1 box at the rear which will mate to Ford driveshafts with the 100mm PCD LOBRO type CV joint. I have already picked up a pair of shafts from an XR4 but obviously need to source hubs etc. and probably a second set of shafts to allow me to make a single pair of shafts the same length.

My question is are the XR4 shafts identical to other LOBRO Sierra or Granada shafts, and if so which models of car should I be looking for?

A search thru' the Sierra OC forum seems to suggest that the diff's can be swapped out between XR4 & other models without changing driveshafts, but there are so many Sierra/Granada varients I don't know where to start!

Any advice gratefully sought.

Cheers,

Simon

jollygreengiant

posted on 7/1/07 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Ive not long fitted a 1995/6 Granada Scorpio Diesel back end into a Viento which was designed to take the Sierra back end and I've had to make no modifications at all, apart from the mounting plate to the chasis for the diff on the nearside where Larger cooling fins/webs caused a problem.
Originally I was going to fit the set up from a 2.0i (1989) but the diesel gave me a better ratio. The ONLY noticable difference that I have found is that the later units use a superior rubber gasket seal between the drive flanges and the joints AND that the later units use a thicker bolt for mounting the joints to the flanges.

Hope this helps.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

NS Dev

posted on 7/1/07 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon S
Wise people of the forum (!), I have a question regarding types of Sierra drive shaft. I am building a one-off with a UN1 box at the rear which will mate to Ford driveshafts with the 100mm PCD LOBRO type CV joint. I have already picked up a pair of shafts from an XR4 but obviously need to source hubs etc. and probably a second set of shafts to allow me to make a single pair of shafts the same length.

My question is are the XR4 shafts identical to other LOBRO Sierra or Granada shafts, and if so which models of car should I be looking for?

A search thru' the Sierra OC forum seems to suggest that the diff's can be swapped out between XR4 & other models without changing driveshafts, but there are so many Sierra/Granada varients I don't know where to start!

Any advice gratefully sought.

Cheers,

Simon

Its a bit of a minefield but if you are really going to use 100mm PCD joints then you need cosworth stuff, the normal sierra and granada ones are 86mm pcd, 100mm OD

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Simon S
Contributor

Posts 20
Registered 18/2/06

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Own designed single seat track day car

posted on 7/1/07 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that, you are absolutely right, I should have said 100mm diameter / 86mm PCD. Must be my memory powers trying to match my hairline...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.