Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: steering wheel boss
mkblade

posted on 28/2/07 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
steering wheel boss

hi every one
cna someone give me some more advise on fitting this boss with pathfinders paddle shift.

the outer boss part hits the paddles and it will only be half way on.

if i move the inner boss up it will go past the top of the inner steering column is this right?

i cant chop much of the new outer column part the paddles will be very close to the dash.

thanks simon

pics

mkblade

posted on 28/2/07 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
by the way the recess is right undernesth the center of the paddles thats why the outer part will not fit.

attaching a second pic

shortie

posted on 28/2/07 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Simon,

Can you not push the column up from the bottom at all??

Rich.

zxrlocost

posted on 28/2/07 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
you need to push more of the column up and fit the original plastic indicator cancelor

Description
Description

if you look inbetween the rose joints its the black thin part about 1 inch long

also do not overtighten the release slug hub as it will crack and so will the plastic thing

then with some fine adjustments it will work

does that slug fit the column ok

ta chris

[Edited on 28/2/07 by zxrlocost]

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

OX

posted on 28/2/07 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
this wont help you situation but if thats a smooth bore quick release unit boss then im sure it will just spin on the steering column as you wont get it tight anough,i thought it had to be a nice snug hexagonal fit ,the same as on the shaft. i cut the centre out of an old sterring wheel and got the out side machined to fit the quick release unit
Gav

posted on 28/2/07 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
That boss is the same as mine and its supposed to be welded onto the column the quick release part that slides over that.

However for SVA i understand that if the quick release can be opperated while the engine is on then it will fail, so im gonna cut the center out of the sierra wheel and fettle it for my mounty wheel so the paddles can all fit together with the wheel.

zxrlocost

posted on 28/2/07 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
me and OX had slugs that fitted the original hexagon shape made from a sierra wheel steering wheel

youll still need the plastic indicator part

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

mkblade

posted on 28/2/07 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replys

looks like i got two options
1, cut the center out of a old seirra steering wheel, do you weld the two together ? i thought the sierra part was ally ?

2, move the inner column up about 1.5inch but then i would have to make up a new steering link for the rack.

the second pic that i posted ,where the bottom of the inner boss is flush, with the paddle this is where it needs to be for the outer part to fit without anything rubbing.

does anybody think welding it like this will be a problem basicaly it will be extending the inner column by about 2cm only half of the inner boss will be fitted over the top of the column and then welded around the bottom and puddle weld the top in .

thanks simon

oadamo

posted on 28/2/07 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
that looks very smart iam thinking hard about using a bike engine in mine now
just for the paddle change lol

oadamo

posted on 28/2/07 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
that looks very smart iam thinking hard about using a bike engine in mine now
just for the paddle change lol

OX

posted on 1/3/07 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
cut centre out of old steering wheel and get it machined to fit the quick release unit ,throw steel unit in draw. i didnt think you could use a q.r.u at all for the sva but some have passed ,so your going to have to move the paddles forward to be able to fit a chunky steering wheel on it just incase

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.