Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Funny Welds
mistergrumpy

posted on 28/3/07 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Funny Welds

Just remembered to ask this. When I was welding yesterday I was watching the wire and the weld and it was like there was a magnet at the side of the of weld or summat cos the wire kept twitching away from the weld pool occasionally and spoiling that nice finish. Any ideas?

worX

posted on 28/3/07 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have also noticed that once, but it was when I was rushing a job for someone at work (when I really wasn't meant to be even in the "off limits" workshop) and I hadn't done a thorough job of cleaning/grinding/wire brushing of the welded area...

Steve

blakep82

posted on 28/3/07 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard of a similar thing when the welding tip starts to wear, and the wire comes out and moves around from where it has been curled up in the spool

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mistergrumpy

posted on 28/3/07 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, I'd gone over the area with 'the thing' to remove the paintwork first, maybe it was summat to do with some of the residue.
Cheers worX

mistergrumpy

posted on 28/3/07 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'll check the tip too. Never sure when/what the symptoms are to say it needs replacing.

worX

posted on 28/3/07 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
No probs, Now that I come to think about it, it also happened once when I was being lazy and was resting the outer nozzle of the tip on the work piece, so I think (and am making this bit totally up!) that it maybe had an easier arc out route - or something like that???

Steve
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
Hmm, I'd gone over the area with 'the thing' to remove the paintwork first, maybe it was summat to do with some of the residue.
Cheers worX

mistergrumpy

posted on 28/3/07 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Well I hold the neck with my other hand cos, to put it like someone did on here earlier, I shake like a shitting dog if not but I did have the outer nozzle close to the chassis rail, good call worX.

posted on 28/3/07 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
Wandering wire syndrome

Hi All

One reason could be....

If the wire momentarily arcs in the tip, and the wire feed unit still tries to force the wire through.
This results in a kink, (or several kinks) in the wire, that you only notice when it emerges from the tip several seconds later.

Possibly, another welding mystery solved.

Paul G

NS Dev

posted on 29/3/07 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Let me guess, its a Clarke, SIP or other hobby welder????

Simple one to solve, you need a better welder! (or bigger wire spools)

I used to have the same problem, its the curl in the wire as it comes off the reel is not removed properly as these welders have no wire straightening provision, and thus the wire tries to curl up as it leaves the torch. For a while it will curl one way, then when you are used to that, it changes its mind on you!

Plus side, if you notice this, your welding is improving and probably pretty reasonable!

Try turning the wire feed right up and discharging a load onto the floor, you'll see what I mean about the curl and how it moves around.

[Edited on 29/3/07 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

blakep82

posted on 29/3/07 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Let me guess, its a Clarke, SIP or other hobby welder????

Simple one to solve, you need a better welder! (or bigger wire spools)

I used to have the same problem, its the curl in the wire as it comes off the reel is not removed properly as these welders have no wire straightening provision, and thus the wire tries to curl up as it leaves the torch. For a while it will curl one way, then when you are used to that, it changes its mind on you!

Plus side, if you notice this, your welding is improving and probably pretty reasonable!

Try turning the wire feed right up and discharging a load onto the floor, you'll see what I mean about the curl and how it moves around.

[Edited on 29/3/07 by NS Dev]

that added to a worn tip is what i was thinking, but couldn't think of how to put it, but the worn tip would make it more noticable

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

rebelrider

posted on 3/4/07 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
a common problem is the wire clutch where the wire goes through the wheels if the wheels are squeezed together to tight the wire will curl as it comes out try loosening them.
mistergrumpy

posted on 3/4/07 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
I've pissed around with that wheel loads so I'm sure it weren't that. Did a bit today on the steering column and changed the tip, cleared the shroud of clag and cleaned the parts with the 'thing'. Think it was sorted but I can't weld tube that well. Got a shaky hand so need to use both to weld so can only do a wee bit at a time.
Cheers for all the replies
Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.