Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Help fitting MK suspension bushes
scoobyis2cool

posted on 8/8/03 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Help fitting MK suspension bushes

This is my first post on this site so hope it works, here goes...

I'm trying to put my suspension bushes into my rear wishbones but even though i have filed a lead-in onto them they don't want to fit. In the Which Kit build the guy says he pushed them in partially by hand and then used a vice to finish them off, but mine certainly won't go in without a fight! Could this be because of the powder coat? If so do I need to file some coating off? has anyone else had this problem?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DaveFJ

posted on 8/8/03 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
This subject has come up several times before - try a search.

As for my advice...

Put the bushes in the freezer for an hour then try to fit them. Not done this myself but many others have and swear by it.

HTH

scoobyis2cool

posted on 8/8/03 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
ok thanks ill try that. For the metal inserts do these need to rotate inside the bushes? Im worried about them getting stuck if the bushes have been forced in
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GO

posted on 8/8/03 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, thats right, well kinda. The poly bush rotates around the tube (known as a crush tube) which is clamped solid in the bracket. But don't worry, you'll find they'll rotate easily enough once in place on the car!
merkurman

posted on 8/8/03 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
freeze them and use a little lube on them. when I put poly buchings in my tbird they would seize halfway in until I lubed them.

nick

scoobyis2cool

posted on 9/8/03 at 01:18 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for the help guys, ill try those things out
bob

posted on 9/8/03 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
Yep Merkurman is right,add a little lube inside the bush and araound the crush tube. Not only will it aid fitment but it will stop the squeeking,i used a synthetic type grease.

blueshift

posted on 9/8/03 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone got some reccomends on bush lube? (no sniggering please)

If the point is to have the bushes "stick" to the tube they're inserted into, wouldn't grease be a bad thing?

JoelP

posted on 9/8/03 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
i think rubber ones are meant to stick and poly ones should slip. makes sense cos poly thing isnt as bendy as rubber.

I wouldn't mind knowing a good lube as well, it a rather tight fit.... and my bushes are stuck as well!!!

scoobyis2cool

posted on 9/8/03 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Good to know im not the only one having problems! Id also like to know what lube to use please...
pbura

posted on 9/8/03 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
There's TONS of discussion about bushes in older threads, including a Battle of the Titans of which I was previously unaware.

Just search on "polybush".

Hornet

posted on 11/8/03 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
IMHO, if they are that tight, once you squeeze them in, the crush tube may be too tight, I had this problem and had to reem the bushes after installation.

MK7

posted on 11/8/03 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
I struggled to get my bushes in. I called Polybush UK and they said use no lube, other than soapy water, cos the bush is not supposed to act as a bearing.

The bush is designed to distort rather than rotate. A rotating bush will wear on the moving surfaces.

Time will tell if this will lead to squeaky joints

Rorty

posted on 12/8/03 at 01:29 AM Reply With Quote
MK7:
quote:

I called Polybush UK and they said use no lube, other than soapy water, cos the bush is not supposed to act as a bearing. The bush is designed to distort rather than rotate. A rotating bush will wear on the moving surfaces.

Even the Sydney Harbour Bridge would groan at those comments.
Please, please, please read the main thread about PU bushes.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

marshall

posted on 12/8/03 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
i used i heavey vice and a socket
that fits on the outer edge of the bush
with some greese on the bush and in the
wishbone.when in the vice i put a large
spanner on the outher side so i did not
damage the bush good luck .........

MK7

posted on 12/8/03 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Now Now :-)

It was after having read many threads that I decided to call Polybush to get the answer from the horses mouth.

I posted my findings on this web site, immediately thereafter. So, please don't shoot the messenger.

I had similar experiences to others in using vices and threaded rod to get the bushes to fit, and based on the advice from Polybush UK I did it without lube.

Time will now tell. If at they end of the day they squeek like b@gg*ry then I'll have to find a way of popping the tubes out and greasing 'em.

Til then they stay put.

Russell

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.