Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How stiff is yours ???
Avoneer

posted on 20/5/07 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
How stiff is yours ???

Clutch pedal that is.

Mine just seems really stiff and very hard to press by hand and not much easier with my foot.

Seems just like my Pinto'd Avon.

Is this normal, as Carls ZX12R is do-able by hand.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigrich

posted on 20/5/07 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
my old blade BEC was very light to press with a foot and easy by hand even with the uprated springs fitted.
BenB

posted on 20/5/07 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
My clutch pedal was/is as soft as you like.... Most BECs are (especially if you use the bike MC- after all they're designed to be hand-operated)..
I replaced the clutch and screwed up the alignment of the clutch centre meaning the back plate was jamming. Then it was very solid (even with foot pressure)... Sorted the clutch out and it was nice and normal again....

IE something sounds wrong!!!

mad-butcher

posted on 20/5/07 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
The routing of the cable can also cause the pedal to stiffen up, smooth bends are what is needed
Tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
roadrunner

posted on 20/5/07 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Mine's easy by foot, but stiff by hand, if it's stiff with the pedal, you probably have a kink or a tight bend in your cable.

worX

posted on 20/5/07 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Mine was slightly stiff to operate by foot using the MAC1 supplied cable, but as I was talking to Andy at ABPerformance about something else, he suggested his reverse clutch arm and bracket.

It was really easy to fit, doubles the length of clutch pedal travel making it easier to pull away and can be depressed by hand (without losing "the feel"!

Well worth the money!

you could give him a try on 01449 736633.

Don't get anything for recommending him, just a good product and a good (genuinely) service!

cheers,
Steve.

Avoneer

posted on 21/5/07 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Have you got a pic?

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

worX

posted on 21/5/07 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
I did, can't find it now!!
hang on I'll nip out and take one for you!

apologies to Andy for the slightly rusty side to it - I am planning quite a few winter projects and having most of the parts on my car powder coated (properly, not like how half the stuff was delivered!) is one of them!!!

also apologies for the crap photo - I don't mind taking the bonnet off for a quick snap, but I can't be bothered to remove the nosecone aswell!!!

cheers,
Steve
reverse clutch arm
reverse clutch arm

andrew.carwithen

posted on 21/5/07 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I've also got AB Performance's reverse clutch actuating arm. (though mine is an earlier version than Steve's)
Mine works by trapping the inner cable and using the outer sheath to push against the actuating lever.
There's a pic in my archive though its very poor so may not be too clear.
I can easily press down the pedal with my hand and it seems to have quite a good length of travel.
TBH, I personally can't tell you if its any better than the standard set-up 'cos it's never been on road to compare, but Andy Bates insists that it gives a far better feel and is why the RGB boys now all use it.
If my previous experience with Andy is anything to go by, then that's a good enough endorsement as I need.
And Steve has already said he's found it a vast improvement since fitting.

Andy

[Edited on 21/5/07 by andrew.carwithen]

worX

posted on 21/5/07 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
here's a pic of the pedal end - it shows the throttle pedal attachment clearer than the clutch but they both use the same attachment!

I didn't get these ends from Andy at the time although I'm sure he'll sort you out with something!
pedal attachment
pedal attachment

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.