Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nice job Kurt
Alan B

posted on 13/8/03 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Nice job Kurt

with the header (UK. exhaust manifold)

http://members.cox.net/kimini22/car/diary3/index.html

The details for you to do mine are as follows......

Great job.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ijohnston99

posted on 13/8/03 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
WOW! I second that!! If thats the manifold whats the rest of the car going to look like!!!!

You're setting a high standard for yourself

Keep up the good work,
Ian

David Jenkins

posted on 13/8/03 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
That would look nice with a bit of Bolognese sauce over it...

...only kidding - that's a scarily good bit of work.

David

MattWatson

posted on 13/8/03 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
And he was worried about burning holes in the manifold! Not with welds like that!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sgraber

posted on 14/8/03 at 01:43 AM Reply With Quote
Holy mother of God!!! The header is unbeliveable.

Kurt, you set the bar very high for the rest of us. Your entire project is amazing!

You're Cool dude!

Steve G

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

kb58

posted on 14/8/03 at 01:58 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys <blush>

A little bit of philosophy...

Someone once told me that by building a car I was "building a monument to myself." I've thought about that from time to time, and I honestly don't think so (I think it's just a toy.) The comment came from a guy with a couple of kids, so I suppose I could point out that having kids seems much more like building a monument to one's self than a car....

Someone also asked why I built the website. The honest answer is that I feel it provides proof to others that "anyone" can build a car, if I can do it anyone can. Building a car is something of a "faith based" activity anyway, because why would anyone start something so large unless they really thought they could finish... a "step of faith." If the website can provide proof that if you keep at it, you can build almost anything. I think it says more about persistance than any skill I might claim to have. But I digress...

Anyway, thanks again guys.

sgraber

posted on 14/8/03 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
So he's not only a great builder, he's also a philosopher!

But seriously Kurt, everything you said makes perfect sense. And putting one's project out for the world to see makes it all the more difficult to quit when times are tough. (Be they financial, physical or emotional). As an added bonus your website is an absolute INSPIRATION to other people either in-process or contemplating building a car. Count me inspired dude!

Now if I could just weld a perfect bead! It must be the welding machines fault!

[Edited on 8/14/03 by sgraber]

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

pbura

posted on 14/8/03 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Outstanding job on the headers, Kurt!! Even if I had the time/cash to learn to TIG weld and buy proper equipment, I wouldn't hope to reach that level of craftsmanship.

Thanks for putting up your website, too. It's an inspiration (as are Alan's and Steve's, btw). It's encouraging to me that my decision and knowledge acquisition processes are tracking with successful builders at this point of my project (albeit a much less ambitious one).

What do you think of the idea of tacking headers together with MIG and having them TIGed later?

All the best,

Pete B.

kb58

posted on 14/8/03 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I've never used a MIG, but if you can set the current low enough to not blow holes in the tubes it should work fine. From what I hear though most of the "home" MIG welders don't have the level of control needed to weld thin material well. If yours does, then you're all set, tack them and have someone else do the final welds.

And you're right. I forgot to add that having the website up makes me aware that I need to keep things moving along. An unintended "perk."

[Edited on 14/8/03 by kb58]

Rorty

posted on 15/8/03 at 04:50 AM Reply With Quote
Fantastic job Kurt, and very well documented and photographed too. It's a perfect example of a well thought out and executed project.
You must be very pleased with the finished article.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

kb58

posted on 15/8/03 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Of the header... yes. And that's saying something, coming from a cynical, fatalistic guy like myself. OTOH, regarding the car as a whole, it remains a huge nebulous unknown. I feel like I'm walking toward a big cliff and at some point I'll reach the edge and have to take that Big Step of Faith. Exciting but a bit scary too.

[Edited on 15/8/03 by kb58]

ProjectLMP

posted on 16/8/03 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
Top job kurt, looks very professional.

I watched a guy build some headers for my friend's Ultima. It only took him a day from start to finish. Cut all the tubes by eye using a bandsaw and they all lined up perfectly without any grinding/filing. Its definately an art making those things!

Home of the Astronomicalcost Mid engined LMP project

kb58

posted on 16/8/03 at 04:39 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks,

Yeah, I made real sure the tubes were cut square so I didn't have to file any tubes either. The grinding I did to each tube end was simply to ensure the mating faces were truly square so there'd be no gaps for welding.

One day to make his?.... geez, that's humbling... I've also heard of "old timers" who don't cut the tubes at all. They just start with the right length, heating and bending them wherever needed, keeping them packed with sand to keep them from collapsing. I don't have a big enough torch for that... and I won't try even if I did.

MattWatson

posted on 16/8/03 at 05:43 AM Reply With Quote
what did you do with the steel version of the tubing? I know it is not fully welded, but did you keep it? I may be interested...

Matt Watson
--------------------------------
VW 1.6L SOHC Turbo Mid engined car

http://members.shaw.ca/wavindustries/

kb58

posted on 16/8/03 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Still have them, but it's funny you mention that...

Someone with an identical engine (H22A1) wants to buy it from me, and at the time I said "Okay." But now that the real one is done I don't think I have the strength to finish the mild steel one to completion - there's a lot of work to get it done - and I know that now. I own him an e-mail...

Just wondering, what good to you would my header tubes be since they're off a different engine?

BTW, I will be putting the remaining 321 stainless material up for sale on EBay... once I'm sure I no longer need it. It's mostly cut-offs, a couple U-bends, and 5ft of straight. Cheaper than new, but still not cheap.

MattWatson

posted on 16/8/03 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know... I was going to muck around with it and see if I could get it to work

Matt Watson
--------------------------------
VW 1.6L SOHC Turbo Mid engined car

http://members.shaw.ca/wavindustries/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.