Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help, sump hit speed bump
Alez

posted on 8/8/07 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Help, sump hit speed bump

Hi All,

I've hit the oil waste bolt of the sump, with a small but sharp speed bump (concrete or tarmac, not plastic), not hard as I saw it and tried to pass it slowly (although not slowly enough because I had already passed a few without a problem so I was too confident), it didn't feel bad, but after one or two miles I stopped the car to have a look just in case and as I did so, all the engine oil started pouring. I stopped the engine, lifted it a bit to have a look: no bolt / washer. I haven't looked for it on the road as I had covered some distance. I haven't been able to inspect underneath properly yet, to see if the sump thread is damaged.

Would you say it's reasonably safe to assume that the bolt got loose when I hit it and fell off as a consequence? My concern is that it was chopped and at least part of the threaded body made it into the engine. BTW my engine is a '97 Fireblade.

August is a complete halt in Spain due to summer holidays, which means no real chance to get spares until September. I have one of this bolts + washer (unused) here, but if can't remove the sump for inspection because I don't have a spare gasket. I can replace the bolt only, that's if I find that the sump thread is good.

What do you think, no big deal or wait until September just in case?

Also, if in September I had to remove the sump either for inspection, what bits do I need to replace? Gasket only? As I said it's a '97 Fireblade which has a Stuart Taylor chopped + baffled sump (surely chopped, I haven't seen the insides of it). Do I need to replace the baffle or can I keep the original sump and baffle if found to be OK (replace gasket only)?

Thanks a lot for any advice or comments.

All the best,

Alex

ReMan

posted on 8/8/07 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO I would doubt very much that any of the bolt went in the engine.
Much more likely that the whole bolt got ripped out.
You say you have a chopped/baffeled sump, if this is correct is the bolt still the lowest point? Not good, it really wants to be placed at one side.
If this is the case, I would get the hole welded up and have a new boss welded to the side ands tapped to take a new bolt, so the bolt is not the lowest point, this will save you another 10mm or so in ground clearance.
To take the sump off , you may be lucky and re use the gasket with light smear of gaket compound (not silicon).
HTH

[Edited on 8/8/07 by ReMan]

Alez

posted on 8/8/07 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
ReMan,

I believe it's a Stuart Taylor chopped sump (baffled not sure but I'd think so) but the bolt is still in the original position.

Thanks a lot for the wise post, sounds like the way to go. New bolt just now to keep going, then in September remove sump to relocate bolt! Sounds like a great plan, as you say there's quite a big extra clearance to be gained

Cheers,

Alex

ChrisGamlin

posted on 8/8/07 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, get it put on the side if not already. If the bolt is still in the original cast part of the sump, its quite likely that hitting the bolt has put a hairline crack in the thread of the sump and so loosened the grip on the bolt and so undoing it. This is exactly what happened to my first blade engine, knocked the bolt on a speedbump and eventually lost the bolt (and then the engine blew!)

Learn from the mistake though, relocate it to the side and its also worth lockwiring it so it can't come undone accidentally.

Alez

posted on 8/8/07 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Chris,

Great post, thanks. If, after inspection, I should find that the sump inner thread has damaged (cracked) just as happened with yours, would you still weld up its hole (to relocate the bolt) and use this sump or would you rather buy a new chopped sump? In other words, is it easy to repair damage of this kind?

Cheers,

Alex

ReMan

posted on 8/8/07 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Just found this pic of mine. Not very good I'm afraid, but it shows what is needed.
A Mr Gamlin special, but I'm surer you could find someone more local to do the same.
Again, I would question how chopped yours is if it hits the ground to easily, it may be your engine is mounted very low?
Sumps are only around £20-30 on ebay maybe less, so maybe do a temp fix on yours then buy one tand get it modified?
HTH Rescued attachment smp.jpg
Rescued attachment smp.jpg

Alez

posted on 8/8/07 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
ReMan,

Thanks for the pic I'm going to send U2U to Chris as I just noticed his signature line. I can't get this done locally at all I'm afraid, Spain is not a place for kit cars, becs or anything like it.

Thanks!

ReMan

posted on 8/8/07 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alez
l I'm afraid, Spain is not a place for kit cars, becs or anything like it.
Thanks!

I was in Spain for the first time ever past month.
Spent a great week in Peniscola.
But some of the roads do not lend themselves to low cars!

Alez

posted on 9/8/07 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReManBut some of the roads do not lend themselves to low cars!

Tell me!!

ChrisGamlin

posted on 9/8/07 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Alex

As mentioned in u2u, unfortunately its not a good time for my uncle at the moment, he's just parted company with his business partner and is no longer working there, so obviously doesnt have access to the tools / equipment required to do any sumps at the moment

best change my avatar I guess, at least temporarily!

Alez

posted on 9/8/07 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,

Not to worry, the guys in my local garage seem happy to have a look so they may be able to do the job after all..

Thanks!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.