Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shortening Wires to Sierra EEC IV
John.Taylor

posted on 19/9/07 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Shortening Wires to Sierra EEC IV

Having cut out the door looms, ac loom, radio loom, etc. from my 2.0i pinto Sierra loom I have laid down the remaining wiring over my MK Indy in an attempt to start fitting it.

Due to the Indy being much smaller than the Sierra I will have a lot of excess (heavy) wiring to coil up, and wondered if I could cut the excess sections out and rejoin the plug to the shorter wires without effecting anything?

I'm particularily interested in cutting down the wiring from the ECU to Electronic Ignition Controller (EEC IV) which could potentially be reduced from 4m to 20cm.

Other cables that I am concerned about, but could be cut down are the air flow meter, coil, gearbox speed sensor and fuel pump.

Does anyone know if the length of any these wires dictates a function of their operation - ie. if I shorten them will I bugger them up?

saigonij

posted on 19/9/07 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
i dont think that shortening them will bugger them up - distance wise, but there is an aweful lot to cut and resolder - which might introduce the possibility of the wrong wires being soldered to gether - im not doubting your ability, but if it was me, id leave well alone and just find places to "hide" the excess wire...
mookaloid

posted on 19/9/07 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know for certain but I'd be amazed if shortening them had any adverse affect.

The only time I can think of when that could make a difference, is on some old cars - (not a fuel injection sierra) - there was a ballast resisitor wire, which was used instead of a ballast resistor. Presumably the length of the wire was important in that instance.

If length of regular wire was important then the MSquirt instructions would be much more complicated

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

bbwales

posted on 19/9/07 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
When I shortened my Sierra loom I put nails into the fence hung the loom up and selected the area for shortening, cut individual wires one at a time soldered them together and shrink wrapped each cable then wrapped the whole loom in spiral wrap and shrink wrapped the whole thing, I have found no problems as yet.

Regards
Bob

nludkin

posted on 19/9/07 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
I have seriously shortened the loom from a 2.0 sierra dohc which uses the same ECU and sensors as your setup... Almost 1000 miles on the car and no problems at all so far.
Peteff

posted on 19/9/07 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
If you shorten the wires the electricity doesn't have as far to travel so the spark will probably be early and throw the timing out.
Only kidding, just chop and rejoin the wires.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

John.Taylor

posted on 19/9/07 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, you'll find me in the garage with the snips and solder tonight!
PaulBuz

posted on 19/9/07 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
If you shorten the wires the electricity doesn't have as far to travel so the spark will probably be early and throw the timing out.

Yes, but he could always tie a knot in the wire to slow it down again

ATB
Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.