Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wiring problems... Tiger loom
DaveFJ

posted on 24/9/07 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Wiring problems... Tiger loom

OK... I decided to post thid in the Tiger section as my problems specifically relate to the Tiger 6 fuse loom....

Tried connecting the battery this weekend for the first time.... Not lot works

Here are the issues:

1, Horn doesn't work. I have connected the purple wire from the loom to the switch in the steering wheel and tried connecting the 2 wires at the horn end in every combination I can think of! (1xP,1xP/B). I have checked and when the horn switch is pressed the PB at the horn has continuity to earth. ?? help?

2, Indicators don't work. not a sausage. the relay isn't clicking either. however at the moment only 3 of the 6 indicators are connected.. but I still thought the remaining ones would work?

3, Most important one this! How do I connect the Alternator? I have a small Denso alt which has a post for B and 2 spade connectors in a T layout. one is maked ign and the other L. The Tiger loom has 2 wires, a fat brown which I have wired to B and a thin brown/yellow which goes to one of these terminals..? help!

4, Fuel pumps (x2) not running. I have added a relay into the system run via a cut off switch so will have to test all that lot....

The good news:.....

The lights work
The Alarm works
The Lambda sensor works
which means that my over engineered engine distribution system works
Oil light is on
Handbrake light works
Main beam warning light works
lighting switch gear works
Instruments all light up
Volt meter shows 12V

I can't turn the engine over yet as the sump is still a sieve so no oil...
Oh yeah - my water pump seems to have seized since fitting - I should be able to just turn it by hand shouldn't I?

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

andrew.carwithen

posted on 24/9/07 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Dave, I'm probably stating the obvious, but have you checked that the fuses are ok? From memory, the indicators and horn work off the same fuse (fuse no. 4?)
Maybe same prob with fuel pump?
Can't help with Denso alternator, sorry.
Has water pump got its drive belt fitted? If so, then I'd suggest it would be difficult to turn it. Without a belt, it should turn easily by hand.

Hope some of that helps,
Andy.

DaveFJ

posted on 24/9/07 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that.. must admit I didn't do the obvious thing and check fuses! Doh!

drive belt is currently not fitted...

Dave

speedyxjs

posted on 24/9/07 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Nice avartar DaveFJ

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

DaveFJ

posted on 24/9/07 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
DOH!

My first assumption about how to wire the horn was obviously wrong and it seems that blew the 25amp fuse!

I then fiddled for ages abut never thought to check it...

So... problems 1 and 2 now fixed!

however!

now i have a new problem to lolok into... the indicators are all on.. all the time....

i am now looking forward to an evening spent in the garage fault finding...

Chers for pointing ohut my blinding stupidity!

Dave

andrew.carwithen

posted on 24/9/07 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Dave,
are you using standard filament bulb type indicators or LED? (LED types will not produce sufficient load without an appropriate resistor to cause the indicator relay to work properly.)
If filament bulb type then check that the standard Sierra hazard switch hasn't been inadvertently activated.

Andy.

PeterW

posted on 24/9/07 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
DOH!

My first assumption about how to wire the horn was obviously wrong and it seems that blew the 25amp fuse!

I then fiddled for ages abut never thought to check it...

So... problems 1 and 2 now fixed!

So go on then Dave.... Tell us all and stop us blowing fuses... what is the right way to wire the horn...?

Cheers

Pete

DaveFJ

posted on 24/9/07 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Have stripped down the wiring to the sierra indicator switch and redone it. one of the wires had come loose and was touching another... did it much better this time! Now working correctly.

I am using LEDs at the back but have wired the approriate resistors in parallel with them. at the mo I don't have the front idicators fitted but I hope that once they are (normal type bulb) the indicators will slow down to a sensible rate.....

New problem nopw to investigate! when I switch on the hazard switch there is a loud buzzing from under the scuttle!

As for wiring the horn... the trick is to buy the right sort in the first place! I bought a cheap one that is designed to have a switched positive input and earth through it's mounting, however what I needed was a horn with 2 proper terminals + and - and not grounded to chassis. The purple wire is permanent live so goes to + and the Purple/black is switched to earth through the horn button so goes to -. Somehow i had got this all arse about face and wired the purple to the earth point which was bolted to the chassis... I know dumb!!!!!

I also removed the water pump tonight and it is completely knackered! bizzare as it was OK when I rebuilt the engine 7 months ago (how time flies!) SDO... anyone got a spare Pinto water pump lying around they don't want?

Still need to know how to wire in the Alternator if anyone has a clue?

At least i feel as though i am getting somewhere!

Cheers for your help guys.

Dave

andrew.carwithen

posted on 24/9/07 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
The loud buzzing under the scuttle will be the Indicator relay chattering.
I seem to recall mine doing the same (though I have used the original cowling mounted Sierra hazard switch rather than the Tiger rocker..)
To cure the chattering, I seem to remember connecting the light green wire to pin49 rather than 49a on back of indicator stalk switch? (or vice versa)
Mind you, I have individual pin connectors rather than a pre-wired multi-plug connector which allowed me to easily do this.
If yours is the same, then its worth a try. You can easily put it back if my suggestion doesn't work.

Andy.

Peteff

posted on 24/9/07 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
anyone got a spare Pinto water pump lying around they don't want

Buy a new aluminium one from a motor factor, they are cheap and not worth the trouble of scrounging for.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DaveFJ

posted on 25/9/07 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Got a new ally one from Jayar in Ipswich.... not cheap though! £27

Dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.