Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: plasma cutter
desyboy

posted on 3/10/07 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
plasma cutter

Can anybody recomend a decent plasma cutter for home use?
blakep82

posted on 3/10/07 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
i've been thinking about this lately too... don't know if its worth while at my stage of, and new approach the build of my car. but i will be watching this topic!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mark chandler

posted on 3/10/07 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
I got one a few years ago, bit disappointing to be honest.

The consumables do not last long (tungstun tips) and the cut is not that neat.

In hindsight I should have saved my money.

Mines a CEBORA CAR 30M , in theory quite a powerful machine, the specs do not live up to the cut depth unless you go really slowly.

Gav

posted on 4/10/07 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Ive got a Clarke on a VAT free day and it has been invaluble!

You "can" make a right hash of the edges but with a bit of care with a template or straight edge you can make them quite neat with just a little bit of kurf left on the bottom edge to chip/file off, a damn sight easier than using a hack saw!

PeterW

posted on 4/10/07 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
I've got one of the combined plasma tig and arc units from China. Got so say... as a plasma its great, I cut 6mm ally plate with no real issues. Not tried the tig yet as I've got to get a new argon bottle, but as an arc welder its good too...

Was well worth the £350 IIRC that I paid

Cheers

Pete

Alex B

posted on 4/10/07 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Would agree with the above. Mitec or Greenbird seem to be the best. The Inverter arc with these is superb ..........especially with stainless rods.

Alex

NS Dev

posted on 6/10/07 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
I have been pretty disappointed with the chinese import jobbies by and large, hence have not bought one myself yet!

I will however say that we have an inverter plasma at work, that gets daily abuse and never misses a beat, made by "invertec"

would certainly recommend them, but without looking I will bet they aint cheap!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Angel Acevedo

posted on 6/10/07 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Plasma cutter is the way to go, I have a Oxyacetylene set that I just bought oxygen and acetylene for, it was 900 pesos (about 60 pounds) that was one load.
And this is for steel only, with Plasma you can cut any material as stainless, ally, copper, or any other conductive material.
I think I read somewhere else that yu can cut even non conductive material if you put a conductive backing.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 6/10/07 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
i bought a clark machine some time ago, and used it quite a lot. It eventually stopped working so i stuck it in the dusty cupboard - looking back with 3 year wiser eyes, it probably just needs a new tip!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.