Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Removing Pinto Dizzy?
vinny1275

posted on 9/10/07 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Removing Pinto Dizzy?

Hi all,

Well, the fuel / engine mods are going well, the Daihatsu alternator arrived last week, and it's tiny! Should fit between the chassis rails without too many problems - thanks to swmbo's dad who's been busy making brackets and stuff for us!

As we're going over to efi / electronic ignition, can I just remove the dizzy from the engine and blank it off? It's the electronic type if that makes any difference. There's a hex'd tube on the bottom of the dizzy that appears to drive something, but I'm not sure what - would that have been the drive for the old mechanical fuel pump maybe?

TIA,

Vince

stevec

posted on 9/10/07 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
It drives the oil pump,
Steve,

vinny1275

posted on 9/10/07 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevec
It drives the oil pump,
Steve,

Best not leave that out then! Is there any way I can make it look nicer than having the top of the dizzy sticking out of the block - is it possible to leave the drive in but chop the top off or something?

Cheers

Vince

PeterW

posted on 9/10/07 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yep

Rip the guts out of the top, and cut it down just above the flat flange at the point it goes into the block.

There is a bronze bearing in the bottom which can stay, and just cut the inner shaft down to below the level of the flange. It can't move upwards due to the shape of the shaft. Cap the top off with an offcut of ally - either stick it on with chemical metal or tack it with a tig welder.

It fits back where it should, and doesn't interfere with anything. Secure it with the dizzy retaining plate

Cheers

Pete

DaveFJ

posted on 9/10/07 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
I have chopped mine off - BUT I have still not run the engine so it is not yet proven!

I chopped through leaving about a 1" stub, removed the broze bearing from the top of the shaft and got Dave Jenkins to open up the throat slightly on his lathe, to take the bearing so that the shaft was secure. I just need to cap off the top somehow and i'm done...

[Edited on 9/10/07 by DaveFJ]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

pajsh

posted on 9/10/07 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I chopped mine up about half way along the shaft and thought, bu99er it's all wobbly that's no good and threw it away.

Should have asked a question ......doh!

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

jollygreengiant

posted on 9/10/07 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Bits out of the cosworth block should do it.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

DarrenW

posted on 10/10/07 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
I retained the upper and lower bronze bushes in mine. If you think of the dizzy as a shaft / housing that is approx 3" long with a body on the top that takes the weights and rotor arm etc - i basically chopped off this upper body and filed it round then shortened the shaft so it sticks out about 5 - 10mm. This has been fine for me.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.