Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike carbs with a 2.0 Zetec
T1GER_SUPERCA7

posted on 26/10/07 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Bike carbs with a 2.0 Zetec

Dear all,

I have had your site recommended by a fellow Tiger builder.

I am half way through building a Tiger Supercat. I was originally set on using weber 45's with an alpha system however, since purchasing and stripping my 2.0 zetec I have seen that more and more kit car builders using bike carbs.

Please can any of you advise me which would be recommeneded. Do any of you have bike carbs with a Zetec? What sort bhp could I expect with bike carbs and a fast road cam? Has anyone used the megajolt ignition system? Which carbs would be besy - ZX9, ZX12, R1?

Obviously as you can see I am rather lost at the moment so any advise would be greaty appreciated.

Many thanks

Chris Parker

DarrenW

posted on 26/10/07 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hello Chris, welcome to the madhouse.

Can i direct you to the search function as your first port of call. You will find various posts in there that may answer some of your questions.

Im running a Pinto on bike carbs and megajolt hence why i cant answer specific Zetec questions.

in terms of what carbs - you may find advice on optimum choke size which will narrow down the search. Im using ZZR1100's which would be an option. Some carbs have TPS built in which can be useful for megajolt.

Happy searching,
Darren.

rebelrider

posted on 26/10/07 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
*waits for the on slaught of these carbs are best no these carbs are best no use throttle bodies*

lots of people have lots of different views on throttle size which bike to take them off blah blah blah but at the end of the day i dont think ive ever heard anyone complain about there own instulation.
good luck

coozer

posted on 26/10/07 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 1.8 zetec with ZX9R carbs. I originally started with ZZR110 carbs but with no TPS for the Megajolt I moved to more recent ZX9 jobbies.

The whole lot cost under £200, including both sets of carbs and the car runs and ticks over like a dream even though at the moment I haven't done any setup or jetting.

I made my own manifold but if your not able to Blogg Brothers or some members on here can fabricate one for you.

Welcome to the mad world here and have a look at my blog that shows the very first attempt at starting the engine with the carbs on. That really was the first attempt with no trial before hand.

Bike carbs are really the cheap option to more power and better economy. I am expecting 155bhp from my 1.8 with the carb setup and 2.0 cams.

Cheers,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

grusks2

posted on 26/10/07 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Chris, ive got a zetec tiger cat

I got my bits from Bogg Brothers.

£320 inc vat and p&p for the carbs and manifold

I also used a megajolf for the ignition. cost me about £60 to make plus bit from the scrap yard £20

Really happy with the way it pulls and sounds and well happy with Bogg Brother manifold its a work of art

any question pm me with your number and i call you

[Edited on 26/10/07 by grusks2]

[Edited on 26/10/07 by grusks2]

http://mac1worxbuild.wordpress.com/

forgot my old password so another username doh

robbydee

posted on 26/10/07 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
ditto the above...

Tiger Cat but pinto power...

r1 bike carbs and the megajolt..
http://www.cate1.co.uk/megajolt/index.php

a good place to start with the megajolt..

T1GER_SUPERCA7

posted on 26/10/07 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, cant believe how quick the responses are - brilliant.

My soldering skills leave a little to be desired - do you know if you can buy the megajolt system complete?

Cheers

Chris

Dusty

posted on 26/10/07 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
If going for aftermarket ECU about the only one I would not buy is webber alpha. Omex, Emerald etc all come with the software so you can play at home as much as you like. Webber doesn't or at least didn't last time I looked.
grusks2

posted on 26/10/07 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
You can buy the Mj complete form the states or a few guys on here sell them complete.

http://mac1worxbuild.wordpress.com/

forgot my old password so another username doh

rebelrider

posted on 26/10/07 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
there are also a few people on here that sell carbs and throttle bodies
Danozeman

posted on 27/10/07 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Iv got zx9r carbs on my 1.8 zetec with megajolt. Runs very well. Im using a bogg brothers manifold. I have just changed from an early set without tps to a later set with a tps on them.

The carbs were bench tested by bogg bros to run a 2 litre zetec at 165 - 170bhp.

If you go for bike carbs you will find it easier if you get some with a throttle position sensor (TPS) already mounted. The worst bit with them is the manifold is you make it yourself but theres plenty of places now that make them. I wouldnt go for carbs with less than 38mm bodies for a 2 litre but plenty of people are u running smaller with great success but thats my own opinion. I think most later bikes have carbs of this size anyway. As for what bike, it doesnt really matter.

If you go for megajolt you get 2 choices map sensor or tps. TPS is easier as with map you need a take off from each inlet going into a swirl pot and the take off from there. A tps just takes the position off the throttle.

[Edited on 27/10/07 by Danozeman]

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.