Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how cold are you?
Mr Whippy

posted on 17/12/07 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
how cold are you?

I'm sitting in this office with my jacket zipped up and absolutely freezing, no heating on all weekend, the rads still cold, been here an hour & a half, I CAN'T FEEL MY LEGS!

is this legal....?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 17/12/07 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
I slipped a disc in my back, so I'm lovely and warm in bed with a cuppa!

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/12/07 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
I will pretend I didn't see that

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 17/12/07 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
I work from home so nice and warm as we've had the heating on all weekend!
Hellfire

posted on 17/12/07 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I'm sitting in this office with my jacket zipped up and absolutely freezing, no heating on all weekend, the rads still cold, been here an hour & a half, I CAN'T FEEL MY LEGS!

is this legal....?

It's a very grey area is this... maximum heating temperature is 19 degrees. Which basically means if the office/workplace is 20 it was(?)/is an offence to have the heating on. As this was a factory rule I'm not sure it was actually enforceable, though I doubt it was.

I don't think it is actually illegal - though it does nothing for your attitude towards your line manager. Just creates bad feeling - not to mention numb digits and limbs.

Good luck!

Steve

jabs

posted on 17/12/07 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Din't know there was a max temp only a min one, this from the HSE

The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 lay down particular requirements for most aspects of the working environment

Regulation 7 of these Regulations deals specifically with the temperature in indoor workplaces and states that:

During working hours, the temperature in all workplaces inside buildings shall be reasonable.

However, the application of the regulation depends on the nature of the workplace i.e. a bakery, a cold store, an office, a warehouse.

The associated ACOP goes on to explain:

‘The temperature in workrooms should provide reasonable comfort without the need for special clothing. Where such a temperature is impractical because of hot or cold processes, all reasonable steps should be taken to achieve a temperature which is as close as possible to comfortable. 'Workroom' means a room where people normally work for more than short periods.

The temperature in workrooms should normally be at least 16 degrees Celsius unless much of the work involves severe physical effort in which case the temperature should be at least 13 degrees Celsius. These temperatures may not, however, ensure reasonable comfort, depending on other factors such as air movement and relative humidity.’

Where the temperature in a workroom would otherwise be uncomfortably high, for example because of hot processes or the design of the building, all reasonable steps should be taken to achieve a reasonably comfortable temperature, for example by:

insulating hot plants or pipes;
providing air-cooling plant;
shading windows;
siting workstations away from places subject to radiant heat.
Where a reasonably comfortable temperature cannot be achieved throughout a workroom, local cooling should be provided. In extremely hot weather fans and increased ventilation may be used instead of local cooling.

Dangle_kt

posted on 17/12/07 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
I was under the impression that there is no maximum but there is a minimum, cant remember what it is though.

I used to work with 50 militant women in a credit contorl office, heating was always an issue.

Fingerless gloves are always a good look, especially if your an accountant. scrouge stylee.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 17/12/07 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

is this legal....?

In a word...........NO!!!

Min Temp linky thing

Hey you will like the wording of rule 3 here!!

I'm nice n warm here anyway!! I recon you arent working hard enough and thats why you are cold - so come on pull ya finger out!!

[Edited on 17/12/07 by Paul TigerB6]

worX

posted on 17/12/07 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Not as cold as Steve (WorX) Hignett who is currently somewhere on the M4 having driven to Cardiff from Cheshire in the Mac#1 yeterday for the South Wales Xmas meet.

TimC

posted on 17/12/07 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Errr, that was me - should have logged Steve off my machine before posting!!!

mistergrumpy

posted on 17/12/07 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
I feel for you mate. I've just about always worked outside and its not bad if you keep moving but if your having to stay still it gets a bit rubbish. Worst bit is when you try and warm up though and start getting that sickly feeling

Jubal

posted on 17/12/07 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by worX
Not as cold as Steve (WorX) Hignett who is currently somewhere on the M4 having driven to Cardiff from Cheshire in the Mac#1 yeterday for the South Wales Xmas meet.

Holy cr*p

fesycresy

posted on 17/12/07 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Our boiler in work didn't come on this morning, so I flicked on the air conditioning while one of the engineers fixed it.

Quite toasty now

Nearly time to pop over the cafe and have a large helping - they'll have the heating on full blast too.

God my job is tough sometimes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Macbeast

posted on 17/12/07 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
- Nurse! nurse! I can't feel my legs!!

- That's because we amputated your hands Mr Whippy

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/12/07 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jubal
quote:
Originally posted by worX

mental

irvined

posted on 17/12/07 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Smug mode on!

I'm lovely and toasty, its a nice 27C outside, blue sky, (A bit smoggy perhaps.) ahh life is good

Bit cold back home is it?

http://irvined.blogspot.com

SeaBass

posted on 17/12/07 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Car display informed me it was -7 this morning... While on the way to work the wife phoned to say the rear brake shoes on one side were jammed on... Maybe I shouldn't have washed the cars on Saturday...

My advice to her - keep driving until the heat melts them off.

Cheers

BenB

posted on 17/12/07 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Bad luck You have my sympathy. I managed to get locked into an industrial freezer once for about 6 minutes and it was the middle of summer so I had shorts and short-sleeved shirt on..... Flipping hell it was cold!! -10 I seem to recall...

If it's any consolation, I'm now too hot! It's an NHS building so we use super-heated plasma from the earths core to fire up our radiators Now that the sun has come up it's actually getting too warm.... Shirt sleeves rolled up and thinking about opening windows.....

Couple of weeks back our heating broke here. We got down to about 14 degrees before the fixed it. Not so bad for me (I just kept my coat on). Not so good for patients. Pretty much rules out testicular exam cos people's nuts retract to up near the kidneys to keep warm!!

Johnmor

posted on 17/12/07 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
H&S

As said before for office work the accepted minimum is 16 degrees

Warehouse, workshop, etc 13 degrees

outside, no minimum but PPE must be provided.

Now, enough complaining you pussys,
anybody who has worked in the construction industry knows about cold,

I served my aprenticeship as a joiner in Braemar, (-27.2 on 10.1.85 coldest place in Britain),
Boss just told me to work harder!!!

Dam office fairys!!!

Ps. Im sitting in my office with the heating up!

westcost1

posted on 17/12/07 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Nice and worm in the office today but it has been cold outside working on the car the past week. At least I have been doing a bit of welding which always worms me up.
Humbug

posted on 17/12/07 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by irvined
Smug mode on!

I'm lovely and toasty, its a nice 27C outside, blue sky, (A bit smoggy perhaps.) ahh life is good

27C in Utrecht in December???!!!

Agriv8

posted on 17/12/07 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Acourding to my office aircon its a tosty 24 deg Mmmm ( a little warm for us boys ) but it stops the ladies complaining !!!.

If it get too warm the server room is 19 on the nose ( feels colder with the wind chill !)

Regards

Iain

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

irvined

posted on 17/12/07 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
quote:
Originally posted by irvined
Smug mode on!

27C in Utrecht in December???!!!

Not quite - i've escaped to India for a month or so to do some project work there - anything to get away from a cold winter

Having an amazing time again, borrowed an enfield bullet and have been bombing around bits of bangalore, lots of donor material here - old ambassadors have a live axle, lots of tata indica's too which have bulletproof engines too.

[Edited on 17/12/07 by irvined]

http://irvined.blogspot.com

speedyxjs

posted on 17/12/07 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Iv just come out of the freezer -21

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Confused but excited.

posted on 17/12/07 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Mr Whippy, check out; 'The Shops, Offices and Railways Premises Act'.
If work place is not within specified parameters (this doea not apply to a workshop will skilled workers in of course, just to bean counters)you may be paid extra as compensation or go home on full pay.
Unless it's all changed of course.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.