Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis for a BMW 3.5 straight 6?
aerosam

posted on 24/1/08 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Chassis for a BMW 3.5 straight 6?

Hi everyone! Newbie here! I've been thinking about building a locost for years now, and it's only now that I am selling my ford capri that I will have an empty garage to do it in.

I haven't started any building yet and I need to gather plenty of info before I start.

I have an RV8 engine and an LT77 5 speeder lying around which i had planned to use. But the engine is very high milage and will need a complete rebuild. So I may not use it at all.

Thinking about donor vehicles, the BMW 535 looks very appealing, 200bhp, IRS, LSD, big disc brakes all round, relatively simple efi system. Should make for a nice quick car!

However I can see that the engine is a straight 6 and quite long. What are the known issues in lengthening the chassis at the front (probably the whole thing will need to be +4" wide as well) to accomadate the longer engine?

Thanks guys!

Sam

t.j.

posted on 24/1/08 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
IMO (never measured) it possible if you place the gearbox as far as possible to the rear.

It will have it's affect on the room for your feet.

I think the old iron 6 bmw engine is to lumpy. Look for the aly-ones.

Lexus, Toyota supra or VW VR6 etc.
Or a volvo 5 cylindre!

I like straight 6 more then V6. I don't know why

hmmm, need to win a lottery

[Edited on 24/1/08 by t.j.]

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

r1_pete

posted on 24/1/08 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
You have an excellent start there with that V8 and box, assuming the engine is from the manual car and you have all the flywheel clutch & bellhousing parts etc. Why not look for a better V8, doesn't matter if its auto cos you have the manual bits.

IMO you cant beet the sound and feel of driving a V8 car...

Bags 1st dibs if you decide to sell the V8 & box.

[Edited on 24/1/08 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
UncleFista

posted on 24/1/08 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
There's a pics of a BMW straight 6 engined "7" being built HERE you might need to sign up to view pictures, I'm not sure.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Danozeman

posted on 24/1/08 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
The Luego Viento will house your engine nicely which ever you choose. That is if you can still get them,

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

jkarran

posted on 24/1/08 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
The M30 is a big heavy lump and not as torquey as you'd expect for it's 3.5L. I can however confirm they sound glorious. It's a good saloon/coupe engine but an odd choice for a Seven.

M50b25 or M50b28 24v from a late E34 or E36 would be another option though if I was looking for a BMW motor for a 7 it'd be M42b18 4 pot from the E36.

They all sit at a quite alarming slant and none are especially light.

M62 V8 from the E39 is nice and if you're really patient you'll be able to find a manual box too.
jk

[Edited on 24/1/08 by jkarran]

aerosam

posted on 24/1/08 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFister
There's a pics of a BMW straight 6 engined "7" being built HERE you might need to sign up to view pictures, I'm not sure.

Now THAT's what I'm talkin about!! I love the way the donors rear end has been worked into the final car, just needs finishing now!

Thanks for the input guys, having looked at the pics of that built car, I'm sure the 535 engine will fit in a narrower chassis, as it is a SOHC engine and i think it sits vertical. I am planning to make the car longer than standard and maybe even taller, it will depend on the dimensions of the engine, I must sneak up on a 535 with my measuring tape!

[Edited on 24/1/08 by aerosam]

chrisg

posted on 25/1/08 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
If you need any more piccy's or measurements, let me know.

cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

wilkingj

posted on 25/1/08 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
The Luego Viento will house your engine nicely which ever you choose. That is if you can still get them,

Yup... The Viento is spec'd for BMW straight 6's and Small Block V8's.

Talk to Ben at Luego. They are still producing them.
Not the cheapest solution, but all the bodywork fits and is available.
Viento is Book chassis size +6" wider, +12" longer and +4" taller or thereabouts.

Have a look in my archives, loads of pictures and a lot of the factory demonstrator with a Rover V8 in it. (Bags of room to spare.

The Luego website has a pic of a BMW 6 pot in the engine bay. That makes a nice car.
LINKY

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andy bird

posted on 29/1/08 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
bits on ebay

engine and box
bmw e36 325 engine and gearbox ideal for e30 conversion on eBay, also, BMW, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 01-Feb-08 18:57:59 GMT)

if you want an engine box and loom

aerosam

posted on 30/1/08 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
thanks! I have decided to follow my first thought, breaking a 535 for pretty much everything i need, but then building a chassis similar to the viento design, but with IRS back end. I've already made scale drawings and it should work ok (famous last words).

just need to get that capri sold now. It's on ebay at the moment if anybody is interested. It's the purple EFi converted one!

wilkingj

posted on 31/1/08 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aerosam
but then building a chassis similar to the viento design, but with IRS back end.

Err the Viento is an IRS back end.

Have a look in My Archive, and in the Demonstrator section.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

aerosam

posted on 31/1/08 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Doh!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.