Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hi to all
vinnievector

posted on 21/2/08 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi to all

HI all at the stage to do something with paint work , hear goes i have alu sides which i will etch prime then use twin pack paint the main body panels bits nose wings ext will also be primed and finished with twin pack .

However there is minor scratches to some of the body panels and some crazing on the glass coating
are these repairable or will this come through at a later date or should i just replace with new body panels .
A rough estimate as to how much i should be paying to do this little lot . paint labour ext .and an estimate on paint twin pack black and primer.
big list sorry

westcost1

posted on 21/2/08 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
i was reading this on the westy forum today copy past

hrer is the link the post has pics

http://boardroom.wscc.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=12;t=49872

Group: WSCC Member
Posted on: Mar. 02 2007,08:08

One of the local members bought this westy and doesnt like the bell-end colour (purple not my thing either )

He looked into retubbing it but not wanting the spend or the money either he legged me into a colour change..

first job is to strip off as much as possible, scuttle , nose , lights etc. would be a better job to remove the rear arches but this car they have been bonded on so have been left on..

this tub had a few holes that have been drilled for spare wheel carrier etc.. these need to be filled in..

if there is any cracks drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it spreading , grind the crack to a V and rough the surrounding area and also rough up the rear of the area to be repaired with an 80 grit sand paper.. , mix up some fibre glass and spread through the hole and into the recess you have ground. spread the glass around the rear to give extra strength

next block sand off with 80 grit sandpaper till it is slightly lower than the surrounding bodywork .. mix up some standard bodyfiller and spread over the sanded area..

when dry block sand with a 180 disc untill it is level with the surrounding bodywork, when it is da sand the surrounding area to allow the primer to key , I used a 320 da disc..

now give a couple of coats of primer, allow to dry then the repair work is complete..

to allow the paint to key to the gelcoat it needs to be sanded , use either a 400 grit on a da sander or 1,000 wet and dry. everything that is to be painted needs to be sanded in this way take care making sure the edges are well keyed.

I hired a booth for the topcoat to be applied, you could paint it in a well ventilated garage as long as its warm.

mask up anything that you dont want painting.

the panels now need to be degreased to remove any wax or silicones..

New to me the next bit , go over the full car with an antistatic spraygun that blasts a jet of air and stops any dust particles been attracted. thats me watching the experts and proving you are never too old to learn new tricks

--------------
J.C.

click for videos & full spec

Post Number: 2

JeffC
North east AO.

Group: WSCC Member
Posted on: Mar. 02 2007,08:08
the colour Im painting this one is a 4 stage pearl and first the car needs to be painted white, I used a non sand wet on wet primer but a normal white basecoat would have done job equally as well. If I had been painting this a normal colour there is no need to prime the gelcoat simply go straight over the top with your colour, I would recomend to use an adhesion promoter to help but prob more of a belt and braces job..

10 minutes flash off and a groundcoat orange can be applied, this is a very transparent colour and takes 3 full coats, quite important to make sure this colour is solid or the pearlcoat wont get the correct effect.

once solid the pearl coat is laid over the top, It is very transparent and quite difficult to see it going on

3 coats later and 10 minute flash off and its time to apply the laquer, I use sikkens 2k with an elastic additive to help with stonechips and flexing

Edited by JeffC on Mar. 02 2007,08:09

--------------
J.C.

click for videos & full spec

[Edited on 21/2/08 by westcost1]

[Edited on 21/2/08 by westcost1]

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/2/08 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
there is any hairline cracks in the gelcoat they WILL forever appear though paint even if it was a inch thick. You need to sand back through the gel coat and replace it with bodyfiller. Sounds a lot of work but isn't. I use an angle grinder to do it quickly.

Simple scratches can be sanded down this 400 - 600 grade wet and dry. Then etch prime. Personally I'd go over the whole cars bodywork and give it a light sand with 600 grade to provide a proper key for the paint plus to get rid of any release wax before any paint is used.

why did I bother.......

[Edited on 21/2/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
vinnievector

posted on 21/2/08 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

Thanks for the advise so far ,think judging on the condition of the body panels i have that i will have to spend some time rubbing down the gelcoat i can get tack rags from work . do you guys recommend any good filler primer ,wot s the coverage i need for a locost and cost ext hardeners thinners ,Do you guys have any ideas how to prevent moisture contamination from the compressor . Wot temp you recomend for the garage .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.